GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1/4 Mile Time - DSG vs. Manual

NH_MK7R

Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed many times before but I want to put a twist to it.

The two questions below are talking about 1/4 mile times.

How much faster is a manual vs. DSG?

How much faster is manual when no-lift-shifting vs. DSG?

I'd really like to hear some solid time differences, not just "DSG is always faster."

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Which DSG, 6 speed or 7 speed. Gear ratio's are different.

NH_MK7R

Which DSG, 6 speed or 7 speed. Gear ratio's are different.

6 speed. Didn't know they made a 7, that's news to me. I've been out of the Golf R game for a while now haha.

Juggar

Ready to race!
What do you mean "how much faster is a manual"?

You are severely jaded man.... you should be asking "how much SLOWER is a manual".

The DSG can shift as fast as mechanically possible, so especially on the quarter, it will always be faster.

NH_MK7R

What do you mean "how much faster is a manual"?

You are severely jaded man.... you should be asking "how much SLOWER is a manual".

The DSG can shift as fast as mechanically possible, so especially on the quarter, it will always be faster.

Every time I have posted on this forum I have gotten attacked for some reason or another. It's a typo. We're on the internet.

I'm just trying to find the time difference between manual and DSG for the quarter mile, and manual when no lift shifting vs DSG.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance

surrealjam

Ready to race!
Every time I have posted on this forum I have gotten attacked for some reason or another. It's a typo. We're on the internet.

And you did clearly say I'd really like to hear some solid time differences, not just "DSG is always faster."

Sadly this forum is often a willy waving contest.

NH_MK7R

And you did clearly say I'd really like to hear some solid time differences, not just "DSG is always faster."

Sadly this forum is often a willy waving contest.

I've noticed. I've pretty much entirely moved over to Facebook groups but unfortunately I have to post here on occasion.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Stock 6 speed dsg and MT are pretty close in the 1/4 mile. With MT it depends on the driver really. With dsg not so much. Ratios are different between the dsg and MT.

Not sure why the question is being asked as the times are so close, it really has nothing to do with anything.

IIRC the difference is around 2 tenths of a second and 1-2 mph. 0-60 times vary from 2-4 tenths faster for the DSG. These are published car mag times.

MK 7.5 GTi's have the newer 7 speed and IMHO, it apples to oranges to compare a 6 MT to a 7 DSG.

Also: the MANUAL is NEVER faster.

Last edited:

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
For reference:

Just the first website I fouund

http://autotk.com/0-60-times/volkswagen/golf-gti/

excerpt:

The manual is slower and gets to 60mph in 6.2 seconds, finishing the quarter of a mile in 14.7 secs at 98.6mph. The automatic GTI hits 60mph in 6.0 seconds and covers the same quarter of a mile in 14.5 secs at 98.4mph. For a solid acceleration run, the manual’s traction control system had to be tricked for it to deliver during one of its test drives. However, the shifting in the automatic version was smooth and seamless.

Car and Driver logged a DSG car 0-60 in 5.6 sec and standing 1/4 mile 14.3 sec @ 100mph

Last edited:

edrex

Ready to race!
unfortunately I have to post here on occasion.

With that kind of attitude I’m sure members here will be tripping over he selves to provide you with all the info you need. :rolleyes:

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hey guys,

I know this topic has been discussed many times before but I want to put a twist to it.

The two questions below are talking about 1/4 mile times.

How much faster is a manual vs. DSG?

How much faster is manual when no-lift-shifting vs. DSG?

I'd really like to hear some solid time differences, not just "DSG is always faster."
A manual only shifts as fast/well as the driver is capable of. All things being equal otherwise, a manual is never faster than a DSG.

radoroc

Ready to race!
Stock 6 speed dsg and MT are pretty close in the 1/4 mile. With MT it depends on the driver really. With dsg not so much. Ratios are different between the dsg and MT.

Not sure why the question is being asked as the times are so close, it really has nothing to do with anything.

IIRC the difference is around 2 tenths of a second and 1-2 mph. 0-60 times vary from 2-4 tenths faster for the DSG. These are published car mag times.

MK 7.5 GTi's have the newer 7 speed and IMHO, it apples to oranges to compare a 6 MT to a 7 DSG.

Also: the MANUAL is NEVER faster.

In gear, yes the manual can be faster, less weight and shorter gearing for the 6 speeds as far as I know.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A new twist? How do you figure that? I was flatshifting before you were born. That's how I always shifted for maximum acceleraton. Tuners needed to come up with a term kids could understand with less explanation, so "no lift shifting." The first time I heard that term I laughed. Couldn't believe tbey thought kids were that dumb. Seems they were right about some.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
A manual only shifts as fast/well as the driver is capable of. All things being equal otherwise, a manual is never faster than a DSG.

I used to love a MT, if I tried to shift a 6 speed now, my shoulder will literally come out of socket.... if I shifted as fast as possible? Probably would fall off :rolleyes: It just reminds me of inevitable surgery.

On the topic, it’s well known that a DSG is (for good reason) the “better option” but for many, the connection to the car, and the fun factor are the difference.

Remember, there’s like 50 patents on the DSG for a reason.