GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
Interesting, I just ordered some of that "Genuine VW/Audi" 0w20 from DAP as well.

Beju

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit Ed.
My "Genuine VW/Audi" 0w20 showed up from DAP, and it's in black VW/Audi branded bottles. I would not be surprised if it's just Castrol in different bottles. I didn't see a location of manufacture, but the oil showed up right before I left for work, so I didn't have much time to read the fine print.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
My "Genuine VW/Audi" 0w20 showed up from DAP, and it's in black VW/Audi branded bottles. I would not be surprised if it's just Castrol in different bottles. I didn't see a location of manufacture, but the oil showed up right before I left for work, so I didn't have much time to read the fine print.
yeah the 0-20 I got from dealer is the black vw branded bottle

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Just changed my oil today too ??

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Exxon Mobil has replaced Castrol as VWs supplier. At least in the USA.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie

interesting. They must have been on backorder with the "genuine stuff" and instead sent me what they had of the Castrol Edge Pro in stock...possibly at a loss?

Is that black bottle stuff legit 508?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Is that black bottle stuff legit 508?

It's probably this stuff.. and clearly legit. Apparently now a Mobil product.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Note correction from Dequardo below about specs

I get my M1 from Wmart...if it's similar to the last few years in April there will be a rebate. I stock up enough for all my cars then.

Remember to post it up whom ever sees the rebate!

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
M1 from Wally mart is not 508

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Just called Gunther. They said Castrol 5w40 in the GTI. Think it’s dealer specific.

*saw good old Rotella T6 finally rebranded. Loved that stuff in my MKV and WRX. M1 used to sheer down really bad in the Florida heat. Guess it’s changed maybe