GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Last gasp of the internal combustion engine to eke out another half a percentage point in efficiency. Better than ever before, and still very poor.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Footnote of sorts: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../mobil-1-esp-now-sold-in-5qt-jugs#Post5326048 in Canada. $35 CAD is a really good deal for this particular oil, especially if you're one of those who believes that running a 0W-40 weight oil in a 2019 GTI risks your immortal soul. No doubt this will soon be sold in the U.S., too.
I looked for that stuff before I went ahead and bought the OEM Castrol professional... oh well, maybe I’ll pick it up next time.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@GroceryGTIer nice to see some of the oils i use as well as others i had read great things about on his list of recommendations. Most notably the Renewable Lubricants vegetable based biodegradable oils. If i were racing thats whose oil id be using.. based on my limited research on this subject.

I also noticed the absence of Motul and LiquiMoly oils in the recommendation, two very popular oils that i never understood the “cult” like following around. :unsure:

Just finished reading his recommendations post.. looks like he’s using Renewable Lubricants Inc oil too now in his sports cars and exotics. Its only 40$/gal on Amazon, but my trusty old Mobil 1 FS 0w40 has yet to let me down.

Last edited:

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Very nice find on that article. Thanks.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Oh boy, Dr. Haas again . . . .

Research him. He's a dermatologist. He has no professional training in tribology. He gained notoriety years ago when he wrote there was no reason to run the 10W-50 weight motor oil that Ferrari recommended for his car, and that 5W-20 weight oil was entirely sufficient. Because he was wealthy enough to risk running a 20-weight motor oil while idling his Ferrari in Miami traffic, he was perceived as omnipotent. History repeats itself. Suffice it to say his reputation as a high priest of motor oil science has suffered significantly in the years since his tome was first self-published.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Oh boy, Dr. Haas again . . . .

Research him. He's a dermatologist. He has no professional training in tribology. He gained notoriety years ago when he wrote there was no reason to run the 10W-50 weight motor oil that Ferrari recommended for his car, and that 5W-20 weight oil was entirely sufficient. Because he was wealthy enough to risk running a 20-weight motor oil while idling his Ferrari in Miami traffic, he was perceived as omnipotent. History repeats itself. Suffice it to say his reputation as a high priest of motor oil science has suffered significantly in the years since his tome was first self-published.
That’s fine, who do you believe is an authority on the topic then?

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Just because someones a dermatologist doesnt disqualify them from being an expert.

In fact the training involved to be a dermatologist is pretty intense and covers alot of material.

I dunno who this man is from Adam but i know that most of the oils he recommends have already been on my watch list from my personal research on this topic. In fact, ive already recommended the RLI oils to ppl racing on this forum instead of the Motul or LiquiMoly they would use.

So for me personally, his theories aside, the oils he recommends are indeed in the exceptional category as per my limited and previously conducted research as well.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
That’s fine, who do you believe is an authority on the topic then?
First, not me. I'm you're textbook officious intermeddler. But when I want to learn about an aspect of motor oil and how it might apply to what I own, I search for relevant posts on bobistheoilguy (BITOG) written by Shannow, who is a tribologist and probably the brightest guy on the board. Additionally, if you are looking for relevant, well-researched recommendations regarding VW water-cooled engines based on years of documented experience, I recommend the "European and Import Motor Oil" panel on BITOG, and specifically posts by edyvw, who has been writing about water-cooled Volkswagens for years.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
First, not me. I'm you're textbook officious intermeddler. But when I want to learn about an aspect of motor oil and how it might apply to what I own, I search for relevant posts on bobistheoilguy (BITOG) written by Shannow, who is a tribologist and probably the brightest guy on the board. Additionally, if you are looking for relevant, well-researched recommendations regarding VW water-cooled engines based on years of documented experience, I recommend the "European and Import Motor Oil" panel on BITOG, and specifically posts by edyvw, who has been writing about water-cooled Volkswagens for years.
The problem certainly isn’t that there’s not enough knowledge out there, my issue would be, at the end of the day, who do you trust? I can research the hell out of a topic and know all about it, but if I’m not credited to a specific field, my wealth of knowledge is basically worthless. I could be an authority on a topic, and been a C- student too lol.

I’m not saying your at all wrong about your contributions here, I will do some research. I’m simply saying there will always be finger pointing.