GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0W-20 VW 508/508 oil analysis/comparison

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
The Liqui Moly and Fuchs are the two standout oils of that testing. You still have to weigh fuel economy vs. engine protection.

CFB_GTA

Passed Driver's Ed
The Liqui Moly and Fuchs are the two standout oils of that testing. You still have to weigh fuel economy vs. engine protection.

I thought the Mobil 1, and then the Castrol/vw oils made the most sense from a value performance point of view.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
I thought the Mobil 1, and then the Castrol/vw oils made the most sense from a value performance point of view.

No one should be using these oils in their GTI or R anyway, especially if tuned.

"The HTHS value is measured in millipascal seconds (mPas). A higher value indicates a thicker oil film at high temperatures - which means a better protection of the engine against wear, as the oil film remains permanent and guarantees lubrication. A lower HTHS value, on the other hand, has the advantage that fuel savings and lower emissions can be achieved due to lower internal friction."

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
No one should be using these oils in their GTI or R anyway, especially if tuned.

"The HTHS value is measured in millipascal seconds (mPas). A higher value indicates a thicker oil film at high temperatures - which means a better protection of the engine against wear, as the oil film remains permanent and guarantees lubrication. A lower HTHS value, on the other hand, has the advantage that fuel savings and lower emissions can be achieved due to lower internal friction."
Did we look at same graphs? Mobil 1 ESP was one of highest of the tested. Too bad they didn’t test Fs European formulation. I am guessing you use LiquiMoly.

18k on Mobil 1 FS European formulation for DIT engines specifically fbo stg2 on e50. Much better than ESP, too bad it’s not on there. Or Amsoil SS or another proper performance oil.

Last edited:

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
Did we look at same graphs? Mobil 1 esp was one of highest of the tested. Too bad they didn’t test Fs European formulation. I guess you use LiquiMoly.

18k on Mobil 1 FS European formulation for DIT engines specifically fbo stg2 on e50. Much better than ESP, too bad it’s not on there. Or Amsoil SS or another proper performance oil.

No it wasn't and I've never used LiquiMoly. Please link to your UOA of 0w20 on your stage 2 running e50.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
@nonegiven did you look at the graphs linked on OP? If so, why would you say what you said? If not, you should look at them, especially HTHS graph.

I do not use 0w20 in my car and would not recommend anyone does in a tuned and performance vehicle. I use 0w40 FS Mobil 1 oil, and I do not have a link to oil analysis. I know how inaccurate and pointless the tests are because I have some chem/med training so don’t waste my money on it.

I did however read and research independent oil testing analyses similar to one linked and can tell you that Amsoil SS, Quaker SUD Dexos2, Mobil 1 FS are among the best oils you can readily buy in stores. I use FS cuz I want 40 weight oil otherwise I’d use Quaker SUD Dexos2 which is cheaper or Amsoil SS in 30w.

What have you got to contribute except your random thought which isn’t congruent w data presented in this thread. You didn’t even recommend an oil, just shot down the 2nd best HTHS performer, according to data in this thread.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
@nonegiven did you look at the graphs linked on OP? If so, why would you say what you said? If not, you should look at them, especially HTHS graph.

I do not use 0w20 in my car and would not recommend anyone does in a tuned and performance vehicle. I use 0w40 FS Mobil 1 oil, and I do not have a link to oil analysis. I know how inaccurate and pointless the tests are because I have some chem/med training so don’t waste my money on it.

I did however read and research independent oil testing analyses similar to one linked and can tell you that Amsoil SS, Quaker SUD Dexos2, Mobil 1 FS are among the best oils you can readily buy in stores. I use FS cuz I want 40 weight oil otherwise I’d use Quaker SUD Dexos2 which is cheaper or Amsoil SS in 30w.

What have you got to contribute except your random thought which isn’t congruent w data presented in this thread. You didn’t even recommend an oil, just shot down the 2nd best HTHS performer, according to data in this thread.
You're obviously struggling here so I'll try to help you out. ONLY 0w20 oils were tested. The fact that you use 0w40 and base your Mobil 1 recommendation off of that fact is ridiculous when it comes to 508 0w20 oils and shows how little you understand about tribology.