GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

07/14 Build Date - Stage 2 or Stage 3?

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
A little backstory: This 2015 GTI is my seventh VW. It's a CPO and is already paid off. I've owned it for a year and a half and I decided I'm finally ready to do some modifications. One month ago I installed an APR intake and downpipe. The car just hit 59,000 miles.

Today, on my drive to work I downshifted to 5th to pass a semi and the clutch got stuck to the floor. It eventually came back up but I lost all my ability to accelerate once I'm in a higher gear and doing 70mph+. This isn't my first slipping clutch, but it's my first time asking myself "Do I now go Stage 2 or Stage 3?"

I was fully planning on Stage 2 and was ready to eventually replace the clutch, so I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was a turbo issue. I don't have it yet, and could possibly never have it, but I have been reading A LOT of threads about 2014 builds with blown turbos. Some stock, some tuned, some within ten minutes of leaving the shop after the tune.

First things first though; replacing the clutch. It looks like I have two options.

1. Get a Stage 2 clutch, get a Stage 2 tune, if the turbo blows replace with another IS20

2. Get a Stage 3 clutch, proactively replace the IS20 with an IS38, get a Stage 3 tune

Any recommendations? Planning on having the clutch replaced within the next week or two.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Sell and buy DSG so you don't have to deal with crankwalk.

I don't want a DSG. I also don't want to sell/trade-in and get back into another car payment, no matter how little. It's nice having that extra few hundred in my pocket every month.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
If a few hundred in your pocket has meaning then you aren't ready for anything stage 3 and the potential costs involved. I also don't think manual build 2014 cars should have tons of mod money thrown at them. Those seem to have the most issues, particularly crankwalk.

You could have said this in a less condescending way, since you have no idea how much I make or how much extra cash flow I like to have every month, but thanks for your input. A few hundred dollars every month, IMO, should have meaning whether you make $40k a year or $140k a year. But you live your life how you want.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
What Diggs is trying to warn you about is that since your clutch stuck to the floor when you went to shift, with previous cars, that has been a good indication for crankwalk, especially with earlier models of the MK7. Crankwalk is a very pricey malfunction as it pretty much destroys your engine so as a precaution, save up a lot of money just in case that happens.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
What Diggs is trying to warn you about is that since your clutch stuck to the floor when you went to shift, with previous cars, that has been a good indication for crankwalk, especially with earlier models of the MK7. Crankwalk is a very pricey malfunction as it pretty much destroys your engine so as a precaution, save up a lot of money just in case that happens.

I’ll have to look into the crank walk thing, as that’s something that’s new to me. Mostly look into if that’s something covered under warranty. I know the slipping clutch won’t be because it’s “wear-and-tear”. However, I don’t mind throwing the stock intake and downpipe back on to take it to the dealership. I still have a couple months left on my warranty.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Well, you have a warranty and the car isn't modded at all so if it is crankwalk, you should be covered - free new engine time, perhaps? Get it in for diagnosis immediately.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Well, you have a warranty and the car isn't modded at all so if it is crankwalk, you should be covered - free new engine time, perhaps? Get it in for diagnosis immediately.

The only thing modded is the intake and downpipe; it never had a tune. I'll be switching them back to stock tonight. The dealership won't have a loaner available for me for a couple days. So hopefully it lasts till then.

It's on lowering springs too. I doubt they would, but hopefully they won't say anything about that somehow being a contributing factor.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
The only thing modded is the intake and downpipe; it never had a tune. I'll be switching them back to stock tonight. The dealership won't have a loaner available for me for a couple days. So hopefully it lasts till then.

It's on lowering springs too. I doubt they would, but hopefully they won't say anything about that somehow being a contributing factor.

As long as you, or the owner(s) before you never tuned it, you should only have a level 7 nightmare ahead of you. If it was ever tuned, even if not by you - then well... let's not think about that now.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Is there anything specific I should be telling the dealership other than about the clutch sticking to the floor? I called and talked to one tech over the phone, briefly mentioned the whole crank walk thing, and he said he never heard of it. Just said it’s mostly likely the clutch.

What should I specifically be asking them to look for?

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Is there anything specific I should be telling the dealership other than about the clutch sticking to the floor? I called and talked to one tech over the phone, briefly mentioned the whole crank walk thing, and he said he never heard of it. Just said it’s mostly likely the clutch.

Most dealer techs are parts swappers. It's certainly possible that a bent or broken pressure plate spring could cause this. A trashed TO bearing may as well, but they're not going to drop the pan unless they have reason to. So you may end up with a new clutch and an engine ready to blow.

Get a flashlight and another human. Have them push the clutch in and out while you shine the light on the crank pulley. If you see any movement at all, then chances are you have the problem.

wasbaggedonce

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GLI Autobahn
Most dealer techs are parts swappers. It's certainly possible that a bent or broken pressure plate spring could cause this. A trashed TO bearing may as well, but they're not going to drop the pan unless they have reason to. So you may end up with a new clutch and an engine ready to blow.

Get a flashlight and another human. Have them push the clutch in and out while you shine the light on the crank pulley. If you see any movement at all, then chances are you have the problem.

I will try that once my buddy gets here. However, I’m under the hood now and everything below the crank pulley is wet. Also, not sure if this is related, but the coolant in the tank has turned from pink to a dark brown almost black.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT

Was the tech new? Crankwalk is nothing new. There are a couple of threads talking about it on this forum. A simple search on here will bring them up so that you can become well informed to school that tech that you talked to.