GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0-gauge wire on OEM battery while retaining OEM cable clamp?

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Hey all,

hoping I can get some help here. Currently planning a full audio build on my mk7.5 golf R to replace the 'decent' fender system. Had a lot of parts left from previous car builds so why not.

I purchased a 0-gauge OFC amp wiring kit since I will be wiring up two amps - with the recessed posts on the OEM battery, it makes it a bit hard to fit many styles of battery terminals. My goal is also to retain the OEM cable clamp so I can easily return to stock when selling the car down the line.

The only thing I have found that is available to me is the Knukonceptz ultimate positive battery terminal, which can be fitted with a terminal post on the side where I can attach the OEM wire without modification;
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...e&pd_rd_w=IoEiB&pd_rd_wg=forXC&ref_=pd_gw_unk

The issue with the knukoncept terminal is that it may not fit the battery with the recessed post - physically it may JUST fit, but I might not be able to tighten it on (setscrew too close to recessed wall on battery).

I am hoping someone else has added 0-gauge wiring to their OEM battery positive terminal and can share their solutions with me. I thought about just bolting it on to the OEM bolt and nut, which I have seen people do with 4-gauge wire, but the 0-gauge wire and eyelet are a bit bigger and it doesn't seem like it will seat well on the OEM bolt.

Absolute worst case, I suppose I will just get a new battery terminal with a 0-gauge, 4-gauge and 8-gauge slot and just cut the OEM wire and install it on that. But I would rather avoid that route if possible.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
oh man this is perfect - I was not aware that the top post adapter fit on the Bassik battery terminal since I did not notice the second photo on their product page- I will be ordering this right away, thanks!!!

BTW saw you posting in others' audio build threads while scouring the internet recently - do you have your own audio thread for me to stalk?

Unfortunately my golf R is currently at the dealership for some electrical/warranty issues (replaced airbag control module and still getting faults) and looks like the part they need is backordered until October - which means I can<t start my audio build until then which is driving me nuts. I don't even know how to react anymore, i'm just so demotivated with VW.

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Happy to help. You will have to cut the rubber cap on the bassik thing to get the top post to fit. I do not have an audio build page. I have most all of the stuff now ready to install into my gsw, just lack the time. I had stuff in the gti when i had it. I might be able to offer some tips if you have some specific questions. I'm currently with the fender as well. Going to bypass it completely to avoid the crap head unit and factory crossover points. Going aux or usb to rca from my phone to a bit one.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Happy to help. You will have to cut the rubber cap on the bassik thing to get the top post to fit. I do not have an audio build page. I have most all of the stuff now ready to install into my gsw, just lack the time. I had stuff in the gti when i had it. I might be able to offer some tips if you have some specific questions. I'm currently with the fender as well. Going to bypass it completely to avoid the crap head unit and factory crossover points. Going aux or usb to rca from my phone to a bit one.
Nice - you using a DSP? I think I’ll go the reprogramming of head unit route and pull from head unit outputs into LC2I to start, but I’ll run an 8pair wire from the head unit to LC2I so that as soon as I have the budget, I can switch in an audio control DM608 to do some sound processing and get as flat a signal to the amps as possible. I ordered the missing wire plug from a supplier in China so it will be plug-and-play if ever I want to revert. I don’t want to lose any of my OEM compatibility such as phone calls voice control etc as I use Apple CarPlay and Spotify and google maps etc.