GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

0% APR and no payments 6 months

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I have to say having driven the Supra, whatever Toyota/BMW did for exhaust, it sounds way better than a Z4. Different target market though too :)

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yesterday, I traded in my 2019 BMW 330i xDrive to get back into an R because of this deal (previously owned an '08 R32 DBP and '16 DSG R LB). 0% for 72 and no payments for 6 months was too good to pass up, so I went out (Cleveland area) and picked up a Stormtrooper. Totally worth the potential 'rona from sitting in the dealership for two hours.
View attachment 168281View attachment 168279View attachment 168280
Congrats!

So did they budge/deal on the price of the car though?

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Cool, I have not driven the Supra/Z4, but I have had Z3/Z4's in the past and they are solid roadsters, I would think the new one is going to be pretty good, BUT, if you are inclined to go with a Cayman, I would def steer you in that direction, I have had all kinds of cars and that tops a VERY long list.

Also, I bought my Cayman (as I do most of my cars) a year old with 3500 miles. It had 8k in exclusive options, makassar wood trim, painted gauge faces etc..., so I go at 74k sticker for 52k, I would recommend that path to anyone interested in a Pcar, all of the Boxsters and 911 were older and I paid cash for them, they are just as fun..... people never know how new or old they are...

I drove a GTS PDK Cayman a couple months ago, first time in the four banger, it was dope, I drove a year old 911 immediately after, it was a manual which was cool and starting to become pretty rare, but still strongly preferred the Cayman.

Thanks for the insight. I too have been leaning towards the Cayman, I know it would do dual purpose of being unique in my garage and offered in MT which I would drive to enjoy. I have to say though.. I am going to be getting the 2nd year release next gen STI to replace one of my cars so I will most likely have another driver's car; so I can accept the Supra being just a garage queen. I mean it definitely has the looks for it and the sound is very nice out of the box as Gimpster mentioned for a fun conversation piece.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just be aware, basic maintenance is much more difficult on a Boxster/Cayman. I did my own, on a lift, and it was still painful and expensive. At a dealer it's stupid expensive. First time I did air, fuel filler, belt, plugs, maf cleaning, took 8 hours.

Do you have little hands and like the challenge of changing plugs blind? Want to disassemble your interior to change belts or filter? It's the car for you. They also don't like non-Porsche parts, even supposed Bosch equivalents. Super fun chasing cels in these things if you don't use Porsche factory parts.

They're great for the first 50 - 60k miles. Then repairs started getting really expensive. 60k miles, rear bushings, all 4 shocks and dead struts was expensive, even as a DIY.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Uh, I worked on all my Pcars, one of the EASIEST cars I have put a wrench too... Hang the ass end out over the curb for oil and plug changes, CAKE. Airbox on the box/cayman a little bit of work but not that bad....

OEM parts are not cheap, but if you cross check, use FCP/Pelican etc.. not that bad at all... not free but not awful either.

I did have coilovers put on my Cayman S and they said it was a PITA... rears were hard to get to.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Just got this email.. playing the 180-day deferment right up front...

chapman.png

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
If work situation wasn't so up in the air, would have traded in the cx9 for a 2.0t atlas, but something to be said for a paid off car.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
GTIfan99, SD11 - Thanks for the input. I will be doing my own maintenance. I'm decently equipped and have been working on cars for a good while so I think I should be okay..(?) Also, my hobby cars never reach 30k miles during my 10-12yrs of ownership so the cars usually don't wear out to the point I need to start replacing bushings and stuff.

..still scratching my head. I want that gray Golf-R, but if buy it now I would have to postpone the Supra/Cayman at least 4-5yrs because of my parking situation. I don't care about my beater FiestaST, but I don't want to park my cars on the driveway. Lots of birds and falling leaves in the fall can make a hell of a mess on the paint and glass.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My wife gave me the go ahead to buy an R, but I've decided against it. The reason I love the GTI so much is the Rabbit spec is perfect for me, except the 2 extra doors, I've got it where I want it handling wise, and the number one reason, I bought it to track and commute. I don't think the R does either of those much better.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
That, and I can't imagine what a slug a giant Atlas would be like to live with, with a 2.0T? Even the VR6 is underpowered for that thing.

They have as much if not more power and torque than previous generation Mercedes/BMW's that people fell all over themselves for and that I personally owned and enjoyed.

Having driven the Atlas with both motors, I actually prefer the 2.0T. Most families buy or lease Atlas's for comfort safety and convenience, not drag racing or spirited drives on mountain roads, though the Atlas is in a fact an engaging car for its size...… and while its not fast, or quick, it will def get you in and out of traffic.

Advancements in power train, engine management, materials and production techniques all come together to make better safer vehicles. Vdub has delivered a very respectable product in this market segment.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
So I will try to keep this to a minimum, but based on the sale of our R, or if you are interested in an early MK8 GTI or a MK8 R if that materializes, message me. Our dealership is VERY aggressive and I will take full advantage of that with anyone wanting to get in line.....