GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
I just received the Satin Bronze 17x8.5" ET43 samples with the 235/45-17 AS4s to test fit on my GSW. The tire fitment with those new Michelins is outstanding and should provide a nice compliant ride with plenty of wheel protection. I swear, the new AS4s have just as aggressive of a shoulder as the PS4S, I don't blame anyone who opts for a nice set of all-seasons with these wheels.

-Geirsen
Yes they fit extremely well, and stellar reviews in the AS category.

A6464666-D0A9-42C8-84BF-40F9DC8C2703.jpeg

Last edited:

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Anyone have the writeup for the filler neck adjustment yet?

We are currently planning a DIY Fuel Filler relocation guide using one of our employee's GTI. However, we likely won't have anything published for another month or two as we are wanting to ensure a high-quality and detailed guide. In the meantime, if anyone has any decent Fuel Filler DIY resources to post, please feel free to share!

-Geirsen

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
We are currently planning a DIY Fuel Filler relocation guide using one of our employee's GTI. However, we likely won't have anything published for another month or two as we are wanting to ensure a high-quality and detailed guide. In the meantime, if anyone has any decent Fuel Filler DIY resources to post, please feel free to share!

-Geirsen
Sounds good, thanks for the info

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For sure. Initially planning on RE71R, (hopefully) RE71RS, or Yokohama ADVAN A052 on the front, and something slightly higher wear in the rear. Maybe Yokohama ADVAN A052s on the front as well. Want/need something pretty sticky, but don't want a drag radial.

I am really torn between the 17 vs. 18s honestly...I keep logging in and almost changing my order.
It's not a good idea to run a mismatched set of tires on the street.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
While I love the anthracite color, I really dig the satin finish on the bronze...my GTI is white, and that bronze looks really good....bronze is currently my no. 2 choice.

Johaan

Ready to race!
While I love the anthracite color, I really dig the satin finish on the bronze...my GTI is white, and that bronze looks really good....bronze is currently my no. 2 choice.
It's probably the nicest bronze I've seen since the '76 Firebird, though I guess it was called gold then....

I'm sitting at anthracite or bust right now, I love the contrast of anthracite on the night blue GTI and its basically what I've been hunting for in a wheel. The black looks nice for someone that wants a black-out look, but I can't decide if I like it enough to risk having a second choice or getting something else another time. Its a lot of bread to spend to not be near 100% sure of something.

It's prob covered somewhere in the 34 pages, but how much of a risk is it that we don't get first choice, and is it a straight-auto cancel if a second isn't listed? I did not even realize there was a preference order till I was pledging some days back.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
It's probably the nicest bronze I've seen since the '76 Firebird, though I guess it was called gold then....

I'm sitting at anthracite or bust right now, I love the contrast of anthracite on the night blue GTI and its basically what I've been hunting for in a wheel. The black looks nice for someone that wants a black-out look, but I can't decide if I like it enough to risk having a second choice or getting something else another time. Its a lot of bread to spend to not be near 100% sure of something.

It's prob covered somewhere in the 34 pages, but how much of a risk is it that we don't get first choice, and is it a straight-auto cancel if a second isn't listed? I did not even realize there was a preference order till I was pledging some days back.
Pretty sure that a single color selection is an auto-cancel if not in stock. They might be nice and reach out to you and give you a second shot but kind of doubt it since they go through GangUp. I would just list a second &/or third preference if you are into any of those finishes. I am going anthracite, bronze, black in 17x9 and am happy with any of them. Initially pledged 18x9 because I could transfer tires from my current wheels, but then looked at tire prices after the Apex 17" information update. I want to try a new tire setup as it is, and the 17" options are on the market are plenty abundant (although not as many options as 18").

I have owned 2 sets of aftermarket wheels for my GTI. Ultimately, the $250 off + free shipping is a great deal. Their warranty/crash replacement is a massive plus. If you are getting tires as well, just consider it is $50-100+ for install depending on location and tire aspect ratio. And the wheels + tires are road force balanced.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
A few phone pics of the 17x8.5" ET43 Satin Bronze SM-10s wrapped in 235/45-17 Michelin Pilot AS4s on my personal 17' GSW. Stock 4motion suspension. No rubbing under suspension compression and full lock. Ride quality and compliance are noticeably improved. Enjoy!

View attachment 209378
View attachment 209379
View attachment 209380
View attachment 209381

-Geirsen

I'm curious if they would rub when lowered. I'm getting a bit of rubbing on my 17x8.5 +42 wheels on my wagon lowered on Eibach springs.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

I would definitely recommend adding a second finish choice, just in case we start getting to the bottom of the first production run. However, if you don't have a second preference listed, we will reach out at the end of the GB to see if you are open to an alternative setup if there are not enough units of your first choice for allocation. So far, it looks like we have a decent enough spread for just about everyone to end up with their first choice. The only ones risking not getting their first preference are those that wait until the last week of the GB to pledge.

Pretty sure that a single color selection is an auto-cancel if not in stock. They might be nice and reach out to you and give you a second shot but kind of doubt it since they go through GangUp. I would just list a second &/or third preference if you are into any of those finishes. I am going anthracite, bronze, black in 17x9 and am happy with any of them. Initially pledged 18x9 because I could transfer tires from my current wheels, but then looked at tire prices after the Apex 17" information update. I want to try a new tire setup as it is, and the 17" options are on the market are plenty abundant (although not as many options as 18").

I have owned 2 sets of aftermarket wheels for my GTI. Ultimately, the $250 off + free shipping is a great deal. Their warranty/crash replacement is a massive plus. If you are getting tires as well, just consider it is $50-100+ for install depending on location and tire aspect ratio. And the wheels + tires are road force balanced.

I'm really stoked to hear that there was a positive takeaway from my 17" update, as I want to really focus on technical and educational articles as we continue to grow in the VW community. :cool:

I'm curious if they would rub when lowered. I'm getting a bit of rubbing on my 17x8.5 +42 wheels on my wagon lowered on Eibach springs.

For the sake of testing, I went ahead and loaded up 4 70lb sandbags into the back of my wagon and went for a drive on a bumpy road with 2 other passengers. The car was sitting almost an inch lower than normal, and I really pushed it to try and get something to rub. Nothing to report, fortunately!

With that being said, every car can be a bit different taking into consideration tire size/compound, suspension/alignment setup, etc. Hopefully, once these wheels start shipping out, we will have a much better idea as to where the rub limits are for certain models/suspension setups.

-Geirsen

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I would definitely recommend adding a second finish choice, just in case we start getting to the bottom of the first production run. However, if you don't have a second preference listed, we will reach out at the end of the GB to see if you are open to an alternative setup if there are not enough units of your first choice for allocation. So far, it looks like we have a decent enough spread for just about everyone to end up with their first choice. The only ones risking not getting their first preference are those that wait until the last week of the GB to pledge.

I'm really stoked to hear that there was a positive takeaway from my 17" update, as I want to really focus on technical and educational articles as we continue to grow in the VW community. :cool:

For the sake of testing, I went ahead and loaded up 4 70lb sandbags into the back of my wagon and went for a drive on a bumpy road with 2 other passengers. The car was sitting almost an inch lower than normal, and I really pushed it to try and get something to rub. Nothing to report, fortunately!

With that being said, every car can be a bit different taking into consideration tire size/compound, suspension/alignment setup, etc. Hopefully, once these wheels start shipping out, we will have a much better idea as to where the rub limits are for certain models/suspension setups.

-Geirsen

Mine rubs on the front, so I'm not sure how much loading up the rear is going to affect that. Either way, good to know!

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Pledged for 17x8.5" ET43 in anthracite, woo hoo!