GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
@APEXWheels are you able to share the current count of people ordering 17" to 18" wheels right now? There's not been many 18" photos and most of the hype is for the 17", feel like I'm goofin going with 18".

I switched to 17x9s after reading Apex's post and looking at cost & selection of tires. There is a more limited selection of tires for the 17s, but there are still a great variety of options.

Curious to know the distribution as well.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
I switched to 17x9s after reading Apex's post and looking at cost & selection of tires. There is a more limited selection of tires for the 17s, but there are still a great variety of options.

Are you using a 255 on those 9" wheels? I can see that width being more limited in availability, but for anything smaller, it seems like everything is available?

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Are you using a 255 on those 9" wheels? I can see that width being more limited in availability, but for anything smaller, it seems like everything is available?
For sure. Initially planning on RE71R, (hopefully) RE71RS, or Yokohama ADVAN A052 on the front, and something slightly higher wear in the rear. Maybe Yokohama ADVAN A052s on the front as well. Want/need something pretty sticky, but don't want a drag radial.

I am really torn between the 17 vs. 18s honestly...I keep logging in and almost changing my order.

Johaan

Ready to race!
@APEXWheels are you able to share the current count of people ordering 17" to 18" wheels right now? There's not been many 18" photos and most of the hype is for the 17", feel like I'm goofin going with 18".

I pledged 18x8.5 in Anthracite just last night, so you are not alone. I have a night blue and that test fit photo with the 17” sealed the color for me.

But as a DD that kissed the mountains in the south and has yet to see a track, 17s feel overmuch.

Maybe I’ll regret it, curbed a wheel for the first time in decades just yesterday pulling into a parking lot, but I doubt 17s would have made any difference.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I pledged 18x8.5 in Anthracite just last night, so you are not alone. I have a night blue and that test fit photo with the 17” sealed the color for me.

But as a DD that kissed the mountains in the south and has yet to see a track, 17s feel overmuch.

Maybe I’ll regret it, curbed a wheel for the first time in decades just yesterday pulling into a parking lot, but I doubt 17s would have made any difference.

Definitely sucks on curbing the wheel. I have been running 18s the past 2.5 years with either 245/40/18s or 255/35/18s. They are not all created equal in width obviously. But I haven't had an issue on either set of the 18s I have owned. I have been pretty careful though.

I eventually want to upgrade my brake calipers and both sets of 18s I have will not work with VW TT-S or Macan calipers without an 8mm spacer (which causes a lot of poke). I have inexpensive Sport Editions for winter in 17x8 and they easily cleared TT-S calipers. So going 17" all around. No canyons to speak of near me haha. And fairly limited twisties. Occasional rolls and spirited driving is about it. Maybe an autocross or two in the future.

Johaan

Ready to race!
For sure. Initially planning on RE71R, (hopefully) RE71RS, or Yokohama ADVAN A052 on the front, and something slightly higher wear in the rear. Maybe Yokohama ADVAN A052s on the front as well. Want/need something pretty sticky, but don't want a drag radial.

I am really torn between the 17 vs. 18s honestly...I keep logging in and almost changing my order.
I hear ya, and I might be able to be convinced otherwise, but I’m going with my gut on what is fit for purpose. I have Austin’s now and apex 18” clear nearly every BBK out there — eventually I’ll upgrade my non-pp’s. That 17 does look meaty though.

The Michelin PS AS4 is more expensive in the 17 than 18, though still considerably less than the PS4s (edited)

Its also really tough to choose with only photos to go by :-/

Last edited:

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
I hear ya, and I might be able to be convinced otherwise, but I’m going with my gut on what is fit for purpose. I have Austin’s now and apex 18” clear nearly every BBK out there — eventually I’ll upgrade my non-pp’s. That 17 does look meaty though.

The Michelin PS AS4 is more expensive in the 17 than 18, though still considerably less than the PS4s

Its also really tough to choose with only photos to go by :-/
The tire prices didn't sound quite right so wanted to double check.

I am seeing $177 for 255/40/17 PS AS4s and $226 for 255/35/18 on Discount Tire. Might vary in other places, but that is $196 cheaper for the 17s. Identical on Tire Rack as well.

What I find odd is that Michelin doesn't make 255/40/17 PS4S'.

Johaan

Ready to race!
The tire prices didn't sound quite right so wanted to double check.

I am seeing $177 for 255/40/17 PS AS4s and $226 for 255/35/18 on Discount Tire. Might vary in other places, but that is $196 cheaper for the 17s. Identical on Tire Rack as well.

What I find odd is that Michelin doesn't make 255/40/17 PS4S'.
Edited, I must have gotten my tabs messed up when looking last night. 235/45/r17 ps AS4 are $169 at Discount. Now I’m tempted to switch, lol. Tough to choose

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Edited, I must have gotten my tabs messed up when looking last night. 235/45/r17 ps AS4 are $169 at Discount. Now I’m tempted to switch, lol. Tough to choose
I am just over here causing problems hahaha

Johaan

Ready to race!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Curious to know the distribution as well.
My exact train of thought. It's around $50 per tire cheaper for 17 vs 18. Just wish there was a 255/35R17 tire to get higher gearing for autocross. That would give about 4% increase in rpm for given speed or 5.5% from my current 265/35r18 setup. Will be about 100-150 rpm difference. Will take any help to be in boost.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
FWIW, after test fitting all of the wheels on my car, and after having lived on 18x8.5’s for the past 5 years on a daily with crappy roads and an aftermarket suspension, I chose the 17x8.5’s and 235/45/17’s PS4SAS (tirerack on sale). I fell in love with the look at the shoot and wanted to go AS this time around. But that’s me.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Sure thing! Currently, the 17x9" ET42 and 18x8.5" ET43 are tied for first and split pretty evenly. The 17x8.5" ET43 is very close behind. However, the 18x9" ET42 only has a few takers so far. This is pretty much what we expected going into this Group Buy, as the 18x9" ET42 is more of a niche fitment and only makes sense over the 17x9" ET42 if you plan to run 265's or if you have a massive BBK that can't clear a 17" barrel. With that being said, we are working with some race teams who plan to use the 18x9" ET42 in a square configuration with 265s on a Golf R, as well as a reverse stagger setup with a 18x9" ET42 front and a 18x8.5" ET43 rear on a GTI. It will be exciting to see those setups put through their paces.

The lack of 18" pictures comes down to us only getting a set of 18x8.5" ET43 samples in Satin Black and no 18x9" ET42. While Satin Black looks amazing in person, it isn't the best color to showcase a new wheel design
in pictures. Hence why a majority of our recent shoots focused on the Anthracite and Satin Bronze wheels.

FWIW, after test fitting all of the wheels on my car, and after having lived on 18x8.5’s for the past 5 years on a daily with crappy roads and an aftermarket suspension, I chose the 17x8.5’s and 235/45/17’s PS4SAS (tirerack on sale). I fell in love with the look at the shoot and wanted to go AS this time around. But that’s me.

I just received the Satin Bronze 17x8.5" ET43 samples with the 235/45-17 AS4s to test fit on my GSW. The tire fitment with those new Michelins is outstanding and should provide a nice compliant ride with plenty of wheel protection. I swear, the new AS4s have just as aggressive of a shoulder as the PS4S, I don't blame anyone who opts for a nice set of all-seasons with these wheels.

-Geirsen

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
There's already a decent selection of 18s available for the mk7. I'd imagine all the hype going for the 17s is because this is (I think) the only 17 that is hub-centric, factory bolt using, bbk clearing, 9" wide option.