GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
hello Apex
I have a couple of questions regarding the 18x9. love that anthracite wheel btw.
Do you know if it will clear the 8 piston rs3/ttrs brakes and why et42? 45 would be a better option for our platform.
I ask the et question because i want to run 2553518 re71r or rt660 this year and i am lowered with increased caster and am worried about rubbing

thanks very much.

I’m running 255-35-18 MP4S’s on 18x8.5 et45 currently -2.5 camber and 9-degrees of caster with no rubbing.
However I’m at stockish ride height. Maybe 1/4“ to 3/8” lower. It all depends on how low you are.
Going to a 9” wheel, an et42 will help clearance on the inside and help with BBK clearance. You will likely need camber to tuck the wheel on the outside.

What is the rotor diameter on that 8-piston BBK?

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I’m running 255-35-18 MP4S’s on 18x8.5 et45 currently -2.5 camber and 9-degrees of caster with no rubbing.
However I’m at stockish ride height. Maybe 1/4“ to 3/8” lower. It all depends on how low you are.
Going to a 9” wheel, an et42 will help clearance on the inside and help with BBK clearance. You will likely need camber to tuck the wheel on the outside.

What is the rotor diameter on that 8-piston BBK?
i am all the way down on pss10s. as for the brakes they are stock rs3/ttrs brakes , so 370 mm rotor. I am running 18x8.5 rse10 +45mm currently, there is lots of room between the spokes and caliper face but barrel clearance is tight, i has to rebalance my wheels with the wheel weights a little further in for safety.
for caster i am running the 0018k super pro arms, so whatever they make

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Looking forward to seeing some 255 square pics. Additionally, maybe ya'll will get a little wild and throw some 265's on just for funsies...
We do plan to test a 265/35-18 on the 18x9" ET42. It will more than likely take a bit of work to fit but it should be totally possible with that wheel.
hello Apex
I have a couple of questions regarding the 18x9. love that anthracite wheel btw.
Do you know if it will clear the 8 piston rs3/ttrs brakes and why et42? 45 would be a better option for our platform.
I ask the et question because i want to run 2553518 re71r or rt660 this year and i am lowered with increased caster and am worried about rubbing

thanks very much.

We have yet to test the 8-pot 370mm TTRS brakes with the 18x9" ET42, so we cannot confirm if they will be able to clear without spacers. However, if you happen to have a .PDF brake template for that specific caliper/rotor, feel free to send it over in a PM and I can check the clearances with our engineering team.

As for the offset, we went with the lower ET42 for the 9" wheels to help with inner clearance when running more aggressive-fitting tire compounds. This is especially important on the GTI, as the rear fuel filler neck reduces inner clearance compared to the Golf R. Typically, with ET45 9" wheels on the GTI a 3mm rear spacer is required when running 255 or wider tires in track-focused compounds to clear the rear filler neck. We also figured most folks running the 17x9" ET42 or 18x9" ET42 will have a more track-focused setup with the supporting mods to easily fit that lower offset.

-Geirsen

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I figure it'd be easier to scootch the filler neck to the left a bit. I've heard you can loosen up the straps holding the tank in place and shift it a quarter of an inch or so to the left side of the car. I'd imagine that may give enough clearance. Guess we'll find out eventually.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
We do plan to test a 265/35-18 on the 18x9" ET42. It will more than likely take a bit of work to fit but it should be totally possible with that wheel.

We have yet to test the 8-pot 370mm TTRS brakes with the 18x9" ET42, so we cannot confirm if they will be able to clear without spacers. However, if you happen to have a .PDF brake template for that specific caliper/rotor, feel free to send it over in a PM and I can check the clearances with our engineering team.

As for the offset, we went with the lower ET42 for the 9" wheels to help with inner clearance when running more aggressive-fitting tire compounds. This is especially important on the GTI, as the rear fuel filler neck reduces inner clearance compared to the Golf R. Typically, with ET45 9" wheels on the GTI a 3mm rear spacer is required when running 255 or wider tires in track-focused compounds to clear the rear filler neck. We also figured most folks running the 17x9" ET42 or 18x9" ET42 will have a more track-focused setup with the supporting mods to easily fit that lower offset.

-Geirsen
Track focused mods here being primarily increased front camber and "screw mod", or is it also likely to need coilovers with smaller diameter springs?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Track focused mods here being primarily increased front camber and "screw mod", or is it also likely to need coilovers with smaller diameter springs?

That is correct! Smaller diameter springs should not be necessary with the lower ET42 offset of these wheels, as they will provide a bit more inner suspension clearance. However, we plan to test various suspension and tire combinations to develop our MK7 Golf specific fitment guide to help the community better understand the requirements necessary to fit our new SM-10 wheels.

-Geirsen

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
That is correct! Smaller diameter springs should not be necessary with the lower ET42 offset of these wheels, as they will provide a bit more inner suspension clearance. However, we plan to test various suspension and tire combinations to develop our MK7 Golf specific fitment guide to help the community better understand the requirements necessary to fit our new SM-10 wheels.

-Geirsen

Let me know if you need my car again. Currently still stock suspension but putting on the CSS knuckles on otherwise stick struts/springs in a month or so.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Really stoked on the looks of the wheels. I want/need an 18x9" for next season. Will move my Hypergrams to winter duty as I need new winter tires anyways for next winter.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
When will pricing be announced (or have I missed it)?
Pricing will be announced closer to the launch of the first Group Buy!

Let me know if you need my car again. Currently still stock suspension but putting on the CSS knuckles on otherwise stick struts/springs in a month or so.
Greatly appreciated! I will be sure to reach out if we need another MK7 out that way again.

-Geirsen

jdmwol2ks

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (To be)
Sub'd, just picked up my 2020 GTI. Will definitely be interested in these as i start adding parts! Let me know if you need a car for photoshoots/fitment testing when the wheels come!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
A few teaser shots for y’all (posted with permission). Thanks to @APEXWheels for inviting me to come test fit/shoot.

42F8ADC3-06F1-485C-8887-5E6B882546C5.jpeg
673A1900-133D-4BC9-9698-C57531034112.jpeg

17x9 ET42 with 255/40/17 Nitto NT01
C907E9B5-E670-486F-AA8A-761C681CB3BF.jpeg

Last edited: