GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Will the 9” wide 18” wheel have the same barrel profile as the 17x9 ?

Do you have a date for the group buy launch?
Wheel weights?

The anthracite wheels look awesome!!

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Will the 9” wide 18” wheel have the same barrel profile as the 17x9 ?

Do you have a date for the group buy launch?
Wheel weights?

The anthracite wheels look awesome!!

Both the 18x8.5" ET43 and 18x9" ET42 SM-10's utilize a slightly modified version of our 18" Porsche barrels. For the 17x8.5" ET43 and 17x9" ET42 SM-10's, we had to develop an all-new VW-specific barrel design from the ground up. The new VW barrel design was necessary for us to clear most of the popular BBK's for the MK7 Golf chassis, which was one of the many pain points enthusiasts voiced in our initial VW community survey. With that being said, the barrel profile for the 18x9" ET42 will be pretty much the same as the 18x8.5" ET43 barrel that you can see in the pictures I previously posted.

While we do not have an exact launch date for the Group Buy just yet, we are currently aiming to kick things off in early March.

We are still waiting for a few more sample wheels to arrive to finalize the rest of our weight figures. Once we have a chance to weigh each of the new wheels, I plan on sharing that information along with our first batch of on-car photography. We plan to hopefully have that content and info live within the next couple of weeks.

-Geirsen

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Both the 18x8.5" ET43 and 18x9" ET42 SM-10's utilize a slightly modified version of our 18" Porsche barrels. For the 17x8.5" ET43 and 17x9" ET42 SM-10's, we had to develop an all-new VW-specific barrel design from the ground up. The new VW barrel design was necessary for us to clear most of the popular BBK's for the MK7 Golf chassis, which was one of the many pain points enthusiasts voiced in our initial VW community survey. With that being said, the barrel profile for the 18x9" ET42 will be pretty much the same as the 18x8.5" ET43 barrel that you can see in the pictures I previously posted.

While we do not have an exact launch date for the Group Buy just yet, we are currently aiming to kick things off in early March.

We are still waiting for a few more sample wheels to arrive to finalize the rest of our weight figures. Once we have a chance to weigh each of the new wheels, I plan on sharing that information along with our first batch of on-car photography. We plan to hopefully have that content and info live within the next couple of weeks.

-Geirsen
Is early March when the buy begins? If so, is there a timeframe from start of the group buy to expected delivery?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Is early March when the buy begins? If so, is there a timeframe from start of the group buy to expected delivery?
That is correct, we are aiming for early March to launch the first VW SM-10 Group Buy. Typically, our Group Buys will stay live for around a month or so before they are closed to additional pledges. In this case, the VW Group Buy will end sometime in April. At this time, we hope to see the first shipment of production wheels shortly thereafter. Fulfillment and delivery ETA's will be a bit more specific once we get closer to launch.

-Geirsen

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Damn, so realistically late April/early May till I could get them mounted up. I was really hoping for March/early April (especially since I sold my old track wheels already lol). Itching to get back to the track soon

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Are the SM-10's still going to be decent for street use? additionally, how wide a tire can you shoehorn on that 17x9? And will VW centercaps fit?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Are the SM-10's still going to be decent for street use? additionally, how wide a tire can you shoehorn on that 17x9? And will VW centercaps fit?
My understanding is the VW center caps will fit if memory serves me correctly from previous posts.

255 on A GTi to 265 on an R

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Damn, so realistically late April/early May till I could get them mounted up. I was really hoping for March/early April (especially since I sold my old track wheels already lol). Itching to get back to the track soon
If everything continues to stay on schedule, that is correct. Initially, we were also planning on a March delivery for these wheels. However, COVID-related production delays managed to push our original timeline back a couple of months.

Absolutely! Both of the 8.5" variants were developed with a less aggressive, more street-focused fitment in mind for those who do not have track-oriented modifications to support the 9" options. For the 17x9" we are planning to test a few 255/40-17 tires in some aggressive compounds to see how well it does on-car. We will have more details for that once the photoshoots are ready to be released!

And for your last question, yes, all of our VW wheels will be compatible with the non-floating OEM center caps. :cool:

-Geirsen

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP

-Geirsen
The 17” barrel design is generous for BBK fitment which is awesome.
Wheels look great for street or track.

If Apex can compress the timeline, even better .....folks are getting antsy. Tax rebate time is fast approaching along with the Spring track season.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Ditto here, need new autox wheels by mid April to take full advantage of the season in the northeast

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Looking forward to seeing some 255 square pics. Additionally, maybe ya'll will get a little wild and throw some 265's on just for funsies...

If everything continues to stay on schedule, that is correct. Initially, we were also planning on a March delivery for these wheels. However, COVID-related production delays managed to push our original timeline back a couple of months.

Absolutely! Both of the 8.5" variants were developed with a less aggressive, more street-focused fitment in mind for those who do not have track-oriented modifications to support the 9" options. For the 17x9" we are planning to test a few 255/40-17 tires in some aggressive compounds to see how well it does on-car. We will have more details for that once the photoshoots are ready to be released!

And for your last question, yes, all of our VW wheels will be compatible with the non-floating OEM center caps. :cool:

-Geirsen

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
hello Apex
I have a couple of questions regarding the 18x9. love that anthracite wheel btw.
Do you know if it will clear the 8 piston rs3/ttrs brakes and why et42? 45 would be a better option for our platform.
I ask the et question because i want to run 2553518 re71r or rt660 this year and i am lowered with increased caster and am worried about rubbing

thanks very much.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
hello Apex
I have a couple of questions regarding the 18x9. love that anthracite wheel btw.
Do you know if it will clear the 8 piston rs3/ttrs brakes and why et42? 45 would be a better option for our platform.
I ask the et question because i want to run 2553518 re71r or rt660 this year and i am lowered with increased caster and am worried about rubbing

thanks very much.
42 fits fine on most applications. depends on how much caster you added, and +42/+45 wouldn't matter, the further out the better. Have you seen the TCR cars?