GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
For reference , I’m running the 0018K SuperPro LCA. This gives me 8-degrees of caster. My street and track 255 tires fit without rubbing.
Currently running 255-40-17 Nitto NT01’s on RSE 16’s 17x8.5 et45 for track
and
255-35-18 MPS4S on RSE 10’s 18x8.5 et45 for street

I’m on 18k too with 255/35/18 RE-71R, no issues

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Will the 17x9 et42 clear the AP Essex 355mm BBK?

Both of the AP Essex 6-pot 355mm CP9668 and CP9660 kits, along with the Stoptech ST-40 355mm kit proved to be the most challenging BBKs for us to clear with the 17x9". With an offset of ET45, there was no way we would be able to clear the spokes with those kits. However, by reducing the offset to ET42, the clearances for all three kits look much more manageable. While we still have some testing to do, our end goal is to be able to clear those kits comfortably with the 17x9" ET42.

Only concern I have is these cars aren't easy to add camber to, so there's some variation in where the wheel ends up. Strut tops vs CSS knuckles vs tts LCAs... Just something to consider!

One of the other common mods (that also gains some camber) is the superpro LCAs that add 1 degree of caster, which can cause some rubbing/clearance issues.

All that said, where there's a will for more grip... :D

Also, understanding covid throws a big effing wrench in manufacturing, approximately when do you expect to have availability if you can share?

(By the way, I'll be in possession of some CSS knuckles in a few weeks, let me know if it's helpful for me to scan the hardpoints on them. My car as scanned was bone stock on suspension.)

That is a solid point to bring up, and it is duly noted! While we still need to do some real-world testing with these wheels to confirm any modification requirements for fitment, we plan to develop a full fitment guide for the MK7 chassis to ensure there is no confusion in regards to what specific alignment or suspension settings will be required for each setup.

Looks like fitment for all the common use cases, stoked 18x9 et42 is still being considered 👌🏼

That's the goal! While our specialty lies with track-focused fitment applications designed to push the grip limits of a given chassis, we are also aware that many of our customers run our wheels strictly on the street. With that being said, we wanted to offer a fitment for all types of MK7 owners to ensure no one is left out.

-Geirsen

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Ummm...some of us track rats run 18's.

What size tires are you testing with? And are you testing with lowered ride height suspensions?

That is correct, which is why we are also offering the 18x9" ET42 for those who want to run 18" wheels rather than 17" wheels.

For the 18x9" ET42, we are going to be testing fitments with the following tire sizes: 245/35-18, 255/35-18, and 265/35-18.

-Geirsen

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
This is all going to come down to price. Forgestar will do 17x9s with any offset you want, and a host of finish options. They aren't hubcentric without rings, but if you can get over that, you're golden.

That said, having more options is great.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
That is correct, which is why we are also offering the 18x9" ET42 for those who want to run 18" wheels rather than 17" wheels.

For the 18x9" ET42, we are going to be testing fitments with the following tire sizes: 245/35-18, 255/35-18, and 265/35-18.

-Geirsen

Thanks, I'm running 265's on a car with roughly a 0.5" drop. A lower offset wheel may be kind of a marginal fitment in my case. 255/35 should be a piece of cake for any car that isn't slammed.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Thanks, I'm running 265's on a car with roughly a 0.5" drop. A lower offset wheel may be kind of a marginal fitment in my case. 255/35 should be a piece of cake for any car that isn't slammed.

Going to depend on caster settings. +2 and you'll be rubbing.

My 18x9s +44 (front, +47 rear) don't rub with 255/35/18 Continental ExtremeContactSports. But mild lowering, more negative camber, and no additional caster (yet).

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Camber plate will definitely be required for anything 9" wide according to my friend. Rubbing is inevitable.

pseudorealityx

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
Camber plate will definitely be required for anything 9" wide according to my friend. Rubbing is inevitable.

It depends on the camber is achieved. I went custom offset (higher than usual) to avoid any poke/outside fender rubbing. My rubbing issue originally was with at full lock, where the tires were rubbing the inside edge. Going from +50 to +44 (via 6mm spacer) fixed that. I run a 3mm spacer (+50 to +47) in the rear to clear the fill tube.

Within ~a month, I'll have more front camber and caster (via bushings), so we'll see if I need to tweak anything.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
This is all going to come down to price. Forgestar will do 17x9s with any offset you want, and a host of finish options. They aren't hubcentric without rings, but if you can get over that, you're golden.

That said, having more options is great.

Price point is definitely a huge factor for us. APEX has always catered to the grassroots motorsport crowd, and we have no intention of offering wheels that are not fairly priced for the value and functionality they provide. For the VW market, we will be offering both Flow Formed and Forged wheels to provide the community with a few options at two different price points.

With that being said, we have been seriously pushing the R&D front for this project to offer the most ideal fitments possible for each specific application we have seen a demand for. If we were to offer a 17x9" wheel with whatever offset one would prefer, we would not be providing the VW community with anything that isn't already available. After scanning both OEM and aftermarket brake kits, as well as testing countless BBK templates, we finally landed on the 17x9" ET42 specifically because that offset allowed us to clear pretty much all 17" applicable BBKs available for the MK7 chassis. Our wheels will also be hub-centric and fully compatible with all OEM wheel hardware, even down to the VW centercaps.

-Geirsen

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
we finally landed on the 17x9" ET42 specifically because that offset allowed us to clear pretty much all 17" applicable BBKs available for the MK7 chassis.
-Geirsen
Nice- are you zeroing in on an ETA for release yet?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Both of the AP Essex 6-pot 355mm CP9668 and CP9660 kits, along with the Stoptech ST-40 355mm kit proved to be the most challenging BBKs for us to clear with the 17x9". With an offset of ET45, there was no way we would be able to clear the spokes with those kits. However, by reducing the offset to ET42, the clearances for all three kits look much more manageable. While we still have some testing to do, our end goal is to be able to clear those kits comfortably with the 17x9" ET42.

-Geirsen

So will the 17x9 ET42 clear without spacers? Or yet to be determined?
Does this apply to both the ARC8 and the EC7 style?
Based on your comments, I’m assuming the barrels clear the rotor/caliper.....?

Will the 17x8.5 clear the same BBK’s above?

Can you also elaborate a little on the design features of the different wheel designs. The EC-7 and SM-10 are later designs and appear to have a few additional benefits over the ARC 8. A few design differences being a little better BBK friendly.

Last edited: