GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

AmalgamGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Big fan of your products. Happy to see you entering the VW scene. There's a severe lack of 17" performance-oriented wheels for the Mk7 cars.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
17x9 et38...
Big fan of your products. Happy to see you entering the VW scene. There's a severe lack of 17" performance-oriented wheels for the Mk7 cars.

From the survey results we have seen thus far, the MK7 community has echoed your point in regards to the lack of 17" wheels in the current market. We are currently developing a 17x9" wheel that will hopefully address all of the significant pain-points we have discussed with various MK7 GTI and R owners who have taken our wheel survey.

Stay tuned for more updates!

-Geirsen

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
A couple of related questions on available finishes between the flow-formed wheels and the forged wheels: why are painted finishes the only offerings with the flow-formed wheels vs. a polished finish being available with the forged wheels? I assume the polished wheels have a clear-coat finish- is this accurate? How does the provided finish hold up on the polished wheels vs. that on the painted finish wheels?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
A couple of related questions on available finishes between the flow-formed wheels and the forged wheels: why are painted finishes the only offerings with the flow-formed wheels vs. a polished finish being available with the forged wheels? I assume the polished wheels have a clear-coat finish- is this accurate? How does the provided finish hold up on the polished wheels vs. that on the painted finish wheels?

Hi there,

Our Premium finishes, such as Brushed Clear and Polished, are only available for our Forged wheels as they have increased manufacturing costs compared to our painted finishes. For the Polished finish specifically, there is a clear Powder Coat that is applied as an additional layer of protection. This allows for the Polished finish to be just as robust as some of our other painted finishes.

-Geirsen

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Any idea how long it'll take to get the wheels produced and available for sale? I don't want to wait much longer for track wheels.

From the survey results we have seen thus far, the MK7 community has echoed your point in regards to the lack of 17" wheels in the current market. We are currently developing a 17x9" wheel that will hopefully address all of the significant pain-points we have discussed with various MK7 GTI and R owners who have taken our wheel survey.
I think 17x8 or 17x8.5 are just as important. I fear 17x9 will rub and require spacers.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Any idea how long it'll take to get the wheels produced and available for sale? I don't want to wait much longer for track wheels.

I think 17x8 or 17x8.5 are just as important. I fear 17x9 will rub and require spacers.

At this time, we cannot comment on a specific production timeline. With the COVID situation still lingering, there may be some unexpected roadblocks down the road that could present delays. With that being said, we would prefer to announce our expected release date when we are 100% confident that there will be no chance for any setbacks.

We also plan to offer 17" wheels in smaller widths as well!

-Geirsen

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Will the EC-7 be offered in 17” ?
This design has a more generous BBK friendly dimensions compared to the ARC-8. Correct?

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Will the EC-7 be offered in 17” ?
This design has a more generous BBK friendly dimensions compared to the ARC-8. Correct?

Spoke clearance wise, the EC-7 wheel design does provide a bit more wiggle-room for larger BBKs compared to the ARC-8 wheel design.

We have not finalized our wheel design for our 17" offerings as of yet, as many of the engineering challenges we have faced have required us to make some significant changes to meet the needs voiced by the community thus far. I plan on posting another update in the next 2 weeks with some more substantial information.

Stay tuned!

-Geirsen

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Would love to see an EC-7R in 18x9 ET 43 which would work great for both GTI and R for the people that want 18” in a 255/265.
Plenty of room for brakes in this size too

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Would love to see an EC-7R in 18x9 ET 43 which would work great for both GTI and R for the people that want 18” in a 255/265.
Plenty of room for brakes in this size too
This, but 17x9 et38-43, a little poke is ok, but the goal is arbys, lots of meat. Additionally, I'd be interested in a cast or flow formed, cheap, snow/winter wheel. Hell, if I could find some 17 inch steelies that fit I'd do that. I mean no more than maybe 150 per wheel, as small as possible for some studded snows, but still able to clear at least the Golf R brakes, maybe even the Macan 4 piston swap with mk6 R rotors.