GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Update Time!

First off, I would like to thank all of the fine folks in the VW enthusiast community who have volunteered their time and vehicles to help us make this project a reality. If it wasn't for you guys, we would not be at the point we are at today. Special thanks specifically to Hammersticks for bringing his GTI out for a photo shoot for us to mock up the renders for these new VW SM-10 wheels!

Now, for what you guys have been waiting for! Here is the first set of renders for the 18x9" ET42 VW SM-10 wheels in Satin Bronze, Anthracite, and Satin Black:

Enjoy!

Satin Bronze:

Anthracite:

Satin Black:

Any and all feedback is always welcome!

Thank you for everyone's patience with this project thus far. We are just as excited as you guys to get our hands on these wheels, and we can't wait to show them off once the first samples arrive! I will be sure to continue regularly updating the community and responding to any questions or comments moving forward to our official release.

As a side note, we are currently trying to source a track-focused MK7 GTI or Golf R equipped with 17" wheels to shoot for the 17" SM-10 renders. If anyone with a MK7 that fits those specifications and is local to the Bay Area would like to come out to the APEX office for a quick shoot, please feel free to send us a PM on here or an email to geirsen@apexraceparts.com.

Cheers!

-Geirsen

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Sold on those Anthracite SM10s. So is the 17x9 version still slated to come out first with 18s coming later? Or what is the release schedule? I was under the impression it was 17x9 SM10 first, then 18x9 forged EC7 next.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
@APEXWheels WOW, these look great! So glad I listened to my buddy to wait on buying wheels. One question though - will Race Silver be an available color option when these are released?

The 17" and 18" SM-10 wheels will only be available in Satin Bronze, Anthracite, and Satin Black at launch. Eventually, we would like to bring Race Silver into the lineup but we will have to gauge community interest following our initial release.

Sold on those Anthracite SM10s. So is the 17x9 version still slated to come out first with 18s coming later? Or what is the release schedule? I was under the impression it was 17x9 SM10 first, then 18x9 forged EC7 next.

The flow formed SM-10s will be available in 17x8.5" ET43, 17x9" ET42, 18x8.5" ET43, and 18x9" ET42 at launch. To ensure we were able to push the flow formed SM-10 wheels into production to deliver on our early Spring deadline, we decided to stagger the development of the forged wheels and focus 100% of our attention on the SM-10s until release. Once the SM-10 Group Buy starts, we will resume development on the forged EC-7R wheels. We should have a better idea as to our forged VW wheel timeline once the flow formed SM-10s start shipping out.

-Geirsen

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Thanks, Geirsen! I’ve never really been a bronze-on-white guy but these look gooooooooooooood...and overall these look amazing!
The Bronze looks great on your car. I may like the Anthracite even better.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Trading silver for bronze makes me so happy. I was struggling with silver or gunmetal, but making bronze available makes this the easiest decision ever. Well, aside from lusting after the brushed finish on your forged wheels. How soon do you want my money?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I might be the minority but the design around the bolts feels cheap/off. Konig does/has the same thing and it just doesn’t feel right. I like when the center of the wheel can have a design of some sort, event if it isn’t a bowl

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Reading comprehension fail. That is disappointing there is no bright silver (hyper or race) option :(

I felt the same way. Would have loved to have bright wheels to pop against my dark paint. I've seen anthracite in person and in mixed lighting it looks similar to BMW Mineral Gray Metallic to my eye, at least on the EC-7 wheels. I'm hoping that the color is a bit more true to the render photo above in that it's closer to silver.

Last edited:

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Sad there's no 17x8 option. I want something for daily that isn't overly wide.