GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
In hindsight, should've gone with 18x9 to be able to run wider tires, but I think at this point, I would just be compensating for lack of driver mod

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
This group seems partial to 17x9, but curious in anyone could share their 18x9 setups, experiences and/or pictures. Only found a few when reading through all 97 pages :)

Reached out to Geirsen about this for my 7.5 GTI - paired with a set of PS4S. Per his suggestion, planning to go with a 255/35.

Will be installing ED springs along with some other suspension bits at the same time to avoid multiple alignments.

Thanks in advance.

Before I had my 17x9 Apex’s I ran 18x9 ET45 Neuspeed RSe11Rs with 255/35/18 Nexens. Really loved that wheel setup. Needed a 3mm spacer in the rear to clear the fuel filler neck. Probably couldn’t fit 265 with my a particular setup but I knew a few people with Golf Rs that ran that size succcesfully.

3ADA8227-1C96-4556-9FFF-B7C9DE3D46A5.jpeg

A97E1817-54CE-4CAE-AB7D-22382671DAE3.jpeg

I have 17” VS5-RS on my new car. But imo the wheel design looks much better in 18” and up. 17s look a bit squished.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Any rubbing under compression with those taller 245/40-18 tires? Do you have the fender screw mod done?

-Geirsen

Just had them put on yesterday. Rubs on the fender screws in Normal mode, but not in Race mode. Going to do the fender screw mod asap. Ride is night and day difference from the 235/35/19 tires and heavy Englishtowns. Giving up a little handling sharpness for better ride is worth it.

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
Before I had my 17x9 Apex’s I ran 18x9 ET45 Neuspeed RSe11Rs with 255/35/18 Nexens. Really loved that wheel setup. Needed a 3mm spacer in the rear to clear the fuel filler neck. Probably couldn’t fit 265 with my a particular setup but I knew a few people with Golf Rs that ran that size successfully.

I have 17” VS5-RS on my new car. But imo the wheel design looks much better in 18” and up. 17s look a bit squished.
Do you have any track times between your 2 wheel setups? I'm just curious since I have see a youtube video from tire rack on how a say 225 did better on a 9 inch wide rim compared to a 7.5 or 8 inch wide rim. and even better than a 245 on a 9 inch wide.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
VW Community Update 5/6/20

First off, I would like to say thank you to all of the individuals in the VW community who took the time to respond to our APEX wheel survey. With 500+ responses and counting, your voices have been heard and your preferences and concerns have been duly noted. We plan on establishing ourselves within the MK7 community first and then we’ll expand to other popular VAG platforms following our initial product release.

Since originally reviewing the survey responses, our engineering team has been hard at work developing a few different wheel solutions that address many of the pain-points that have been voiced by the community. Some of the more commonly voiced concerns were in regard to track-focused 17” wheels. With a lack of options for wide 17” wheels that clear big brakes, we wanted to explore this project first. Other diameters and sizes are being worked on as well but the 17” project looked to be an area we could make a big difference. We took your feedback and rolled that into a feature/goal list we want to incorporate into our APEX MK7 Golf fitment wheels.

• Lightweight and reasonably priced.
  • Wider size availability, specifically in 17” wheels.
  • Goal is to clear all or most of the popular OEM+ (TTS, Macan, etc) and aftermarket (Stoptech ST-40/ST-60 355mm, etc) BBKs.
  • Ideal offsets to fit on both GTI and R models with minimal additional modifications.
  • VW center bore specific to avoid requiring centering rings.
  • OEM Hardware compatible.
  • OEM VW centercap compatible.
  • As much concavity as possible given the target sizes and offsets for the MK7 chassis.

While we are still in the R&D phase, we are currently on track to checking each and every box for the features listed above. This is also applicable to the 18” wheels that we plan to offer, with the only exception being that the 18” wheels will be designed to clear larger OEM+ and aftermarket BBKs that are unable to fit under 17” barrels. Moving forward, we will also be exploring both Flow Formed and Forged options in various wheel sizes.

As we continue to develop our wheel offerings for the MK7 chassis, we will need to rely on willing enthusiasts to assist with various fitment tests and volunteering cars for laser scanning of brakes. As some of you might have already heard, APEX is currently looking for a MK7 GTI or Golf R equipped with Macan or TTS front calipers in the Boston area. We are planning to do a full front brake scan with our scanning partner, in order to better understand the specific clearance requirements for those popular OEM+ brake kits. If anyone would like to volunteer their vehicle for the cause that lives in that area, please PM us on the forum, or feel free to shoot us an email at expert@apexraceparts.com

Once again, a huge thank you to this community for making your voices heard! We are incredibly excited to finally be working with VW enthusiasts and we cannot wait to start showing you guys what we have planned for the future. In the meantime, I intend to update the VW community regularly as we continue to make progress leading up to our official release.

As a final note, we are still waiting on approval from the Golf MK7 forum moderators for our vendor sponsorship request. We have taken all of the necessary measures to obtain it over the past month, but have yet to make any progress. If any of the other moderators we have not spoken with have any questions, please feel free to PM us or email us at expert@apexraceparts.com

-Geirsen

Confirmation of fitment on a 18x9 over the TTRS brakes, with the 370mm rotors?

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Is there any estimate on when the 17x8.5 in race silver will be back in stock?
I don't know, but here's some inspiration.
17x8.5 Race Silver.
IMG_20220702_192550.jpg

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Is there any estimate on when the 17x8.5 in race silver will be back in stock?

Those are currently in production, so I would say about 3 months out at this point.

Confirmation of fitment on a 18x9 over the TTRS brakes, with the 370mm rotors?

The 18x9" ET42 SM-10 will clear the TT RS brakes with the larger 370mm rotors without any issues. No need for spacers, etc.

-Geirsen

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Those are currently in production, so I would say about 3 months out at this point.

The 18x9" ET42 SM-10 will clear the TT RS brakes with the larger 370mm rotors without any issues. No need for spacers, etc.

-Geirsen

Thanks, wasn't able to find anything on the bigger rotors, just the smaller ones.

My order will be inbound.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Just wanted to give ya'll a heads up that we just launched our Flow Formed SM-10 Sale! If ya'll are looking to pick up a set at a decent discount, now is the time!

As always if anyone has any fitment/technical questions, please let me know!

In celebration of Memorial Day, we’re kicking off a sale on our popular SM-10 wheel lines. Whether it be the feature-rich Evolution Line Flow Formed variant or the fully Forged Sprint Line SM-10RS, we’ve got you covered.

APEX Flow Formed SM-10s: Up to 20% off

Forged Sprint Line SM-10RS: Up to 10% off

With Free Shipping and hardware discounted as well, there's never been a better time to buy. This sale ends on June 2nd so don’t miss these discounts!

Buy Today

Questions?
Call: 925-245-0773
Email: expert@apexraceparts.com
Web: www.apexwheels.com
Hours: M-F 9a-5p PST