GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well crap, here I was all convinced I wanted the forged wheels, but those look great.

I could be slightly biased.... But I think the SM-10 looks really good, and price wise, they're pretty competitive with the other stuff on the market. I think the only complaint I have is that I wish the bronze was a little brighter.

All that said, I can't wait to see how the sample VS-5RS looks on my wagon...

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4165.PNG

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I mean you're not wrong. Bronze SM-10's on a blue R would be more than okay. I'd do the brushed VS-5RS just because it's a gorgeous finish, but would always have bronze envy.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I mean you're not wrong. Bronze SM-10's on a blue R would be more than okay. I'd do the brushed VS-5RS just because it's a gorgeous finish, but would always have bronze envy.
silver on blue works really nicely. My wife has a silk blue sportwagen with silver Audi A4 wheels that look great.

Obviously the best course of action for you is to just buy 2 sets..

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
silver on blue works really nicely. My wife has a silk blue sportwagen with silver Audi A4 wheels that look great.

Obviously the best course of action for you is to just buy 2 sets..
I'm likely going to powdercoat the dumb stockers either black or bronze too.

BroD1Kenobi

Car(s)
2019 CFB GTI
The first VW/Audi VS-5RS samples arrived late last week at our office. We will be weighing them today, so I will be sure to share those details as soon as I can! The samples are Brushed Clear but the first batch of these wheels will be offered in Brushed Clear, Anthracite, and Satin Bronze. I will grab some cell phone pics to give ya'll a sneak peek once I get an opportunity. :cool:

-Geirsen
Geirsen-
Is it safe to assume the projected dates, weights and pricing for the VS-5RS's is accurate on the website? I was all ready to pull the trigger on a set of SM-10s and you had to go and release a Forged split five spoke. Any chance of Satin black being offered in the first batch?
Screenshot_20220512-085034_Chrome.jpg
APEX VS-5RS Forged Sprint Line

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I could be slightly biased.... But I think the SM-10 looks really good, and price wise, they're pretty competitive with the other stuff on the market. I think the only complaint I have is that I wish the bronze was a little brighter.

All that said, I can't wait to see how the sample VS-5RS looks on my wagon...

View attachment 248875

View attachment 248876
Golf R bumper looks great! Joe should be reaching out to you soon to setup the VS shoot. 🤘

Geirsen-
Is it safe to assume the projected dates, weights and pricing for the VS-5RS's is accurate on the website? I was all ready to pull the trigger on a set of SM-10s and you had to go and release a Forged split five spoke. Any chance of Satin black being offered in the first batch? View attachment 248939APEX VS-5RS Forged Sprint Line

That chart is mostly accurate. Weights are still being finalized but that number is in the ball park. The timeline is mostly accurate for shipping production wheels but the Group Buy will likely start quite a bit earlier in July.

-Geirsen

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Finally got these on the car. 18x9 with 245/40/18 Kumho V730s. Coated with Fireball Talon+. Running about 2.2deg camber lowered on eibach pro-kit at the moment, I need to do the fender screw mod apparently. Rubs a bit on compression.

Looking good!
Do you know what you're running for rear camber? I'm just brushing the tires when fully loaded, but yours are looking a little more tucked than my 9" wheels.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Hey guys, as some of you may already know we have started phasing out tires from our catalog as of the start of this year. Currently, we are trying to move the last bit of our tire inventory and we will be offering some decent discounts on our remaining units to help push them out the door. There are a few VW-applicable sets left, so I figured I would give ya'll a heads up incase anyone is hunting for a deal on a new set of rubber for the upcoming track season. The tires can either be sold on their own or paired with wheels as a mounted/balanced set (free of charge).

Here is what we currently have available:

3x full sets of 255/40-17 Nitto NT01 tires (recommended pairing with 17x9" ET42 SM-10s)

2x individual units of 245/40-18 Nitto NT01 tires (recommended pairing with 18x9" ET42 SM-10s)

1x full reverse staggered set of Michelin PS4S tires in 265/35-18 front and 235/40-18 rear (recommended pairing with 18x9" ET42 front and 18x8.5" ET43 rear)

If anyone is interested in purchasing these tires on their own or as a mounted/balanced set with VW SM-10s, please send me a PM for a quote as discounts will vary depending on your preferred selection.

-Geirsen

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I think any cooling advantage you would get with an 18" VS-5RS would not be enough to outweigh the advantages you get from running a lighter 17" VS-5RS. One of the VW motorsport teams we sponsor, EastHood Racing, has experimented with this exact topic. Last year, Brian was running a reverse staggered 18" SM-10 setup on his GTI but this year he will be running a 17x9" ET42 SM-10 square setup. His car is equipped with cooling ducts that push airflow directly to his brakes, so he was not as concerned with brake temps when dropping down to 17"s. He has yet to test out the 17"s this season but from my understanding brake cooling shouldn't be an issue.

That said, Louis (also a part of EastHood Racing) has a MK7 R equipped with 380mm ST-60 brakes. He is using the 18x9" ET42 SM-10s but with how much speed he is able to carry with that car, as well as how much more heat those larger brakes create, he did run into some cooling issues last year. Those particular brakes are pretty much as big as you can go under the 18x9" ET42, so even with larger aftermarket brake ducts, temps were still a concern at times. Due to this, APEX, EHR, and USA Turbofans have been working on a joint project to create an "aerodisk" to mount on his front 18x9" ET42 SM-10s to help generate more air turbulence, which in turn should allow for additional airflow over the brakes. We have plans to test the prototype aerodisk in a wind tunnel to verify the real-world results to confirm if there are any tangible returns. If the numbers look good, we might move forward with producing a few examples to sell on our website.

-Geirsen
For another data point… I am running Stoptech ST60 w/ Pagid RSL29 under my 17x9 SM-10s. RS3 brake ducts. Zero cooling issues at Laguna/Thunderhill/Sonoma.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
On the topic of brakes, has anyone tried the Macan calipers and 345mm rotors on 17x8.5 SM10's?