GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Have you tried the Indy 500s prior to these wheels? They've been getting praise for being a good tire for the $$$. I'm hearing they are not good from a dig but are fine if your roll racing. Are you at stock ride height? I was considering 245/45/17 over 245/40/17 just to fill more gap at stock height.

I have. I've run a few sets of the Indy 500s in 235/40/18 configuration before switching to the 17" wheels. I've also run the Hankook Ventus V12.

I'm about to say something pretty controversial about the Indy's. Honestly, I can't recommend them if grip is what you're going for. I find that they have a pretty low break away point in corners where they just start sliding out, and it takes far less speed than I want. They're honestly not a whole hell of a lot better than my winter tires (ok, that might not be true, but you get the idea). They also aren't the greatest from a dig, and with the EQT Stage 2 91oct tune, they spin like mad at launch.

What the Indy's do really well though, is that they are predictable. Yeah, they start to slide way earlier than I would want, but they do it smoothly and never feel like they're about to snap at you.

I honestly liked my Ventus better, and having been in a friend's GTI with PS4S on, I do admit that they really are incredible. It's a shame that I go through tires as quickly as I do though, because damn the PS4S are expensive. I expect that I'll have the PS5S on for next summer.

I've heard good things about the Conti tires, but never tried them.

Hope that helps.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
WOW! Love the new setup, should be a day and night difference out on the track! Grip for days!

Loving the meat! I think this is the first non-Alltrack I have seen running 245/45-17 tires. Now you have me thinking about running that size on my own GSW. :cool:

-Geirsen
Thanks, man! Stoked on these things! I almost feel bad for them, given the kinds of gravel roads they're going to see.

They would look so good on the GSW too.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I have. I've run a few sets of the Indy 500s in 235/40/18 configuration before switching to the 17" wheels. I've also run the Hankook Ventus V12.

I'm about to say something pretty controversial about the Indy's. Honestly, I can't recommend them if grip is what you're going for. I find that they have a pretty low break away point in corners where they just start sliding out, and it takes far less speed than I want. They're honestly not a whole hell of a lot better than my winter tires (ok, that might not be true, but you get the idea). They also aren't the greatest from a dig, and with the EQT Stage 2 91oct tune, they spin like mad at launch.

What the Indy's do really well though, is that they are predictable. Yeah, they start to slide way earlier than I would want, but they do it smoothly and never feel like they're about to snap at you.

I honestly liked my Ventus better, and having been in a friend's GTI with PS4S on, I do admit that they really are incredible. It's a shame that I go through tires as quickly as I do though, because damn the PS4S are expensive. I expect that I'll have the PS5S on for next summer.

I've heard good things about the Conti tires, but never tried them.

Hope that helps.
Fk510 or now it's fk520

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
VS-5RS? 17x9 et42? Brushed Clear?

Yes please.. That might look better on the red wagon than the bronze..

There's no wrong answer there bud.

We will soon find out, as I just got confirmation that the first VW VS-5RS wheels will arrive at our office this coming Friday! The samples we plan to test on @ckuhns car are the 17x9" ET42 Brushed Clear VS-5RS' and I think the BC finish will look incredible on a red MK7 GSW. We plan to get tons of content across the board, so ya'll will have plenty of photo examples to reference when deciding on what finish to go with for the new forged wheels.

-Geirsen

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I assume the bc finish will have a similar upcharge to what you currently offer? Are initial colors decided for the VS-5RS? Please don't say gold...

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
I assume the bc finish will have a similar upcharge to what you currently offer? Are initial colors decided for the VS-5RS? Please don't say gold...
Correct! At launch, the 17x9" ET42 will be offered in our standard Anthracite and Satin Bronze finishes, as well as our "premium" Brushed Clear finish.

-Geirsen

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Cool, no gold. No one knows when I'll get my R, but I would change from blue to black if I knew I could get gold wheels. Just not going Full Subie with blue and gold. But the brushed finish would be great on blue, so I'm down for that.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Other than having to fiddle with the fuel filler neck, and later finding out I was rubbing on the front fender screw under hard cornering, after doing the fender screw mod (and bending the tab back a bit) there was no rubbing on track at VIR, even with the heavy compression + cornering at hogpen.

Also with everything settled it even sits alright, but absolutely needs more front camber though.

Attachments

• 904A79E4-4129-46B9-A462-528C6F8FC544.jpeg
    904A79E4-4129-46B9-A462-528C6F8FC544.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
  • 1D9F21B4-04E5-4EDC-8C19-BE3E4624F407.jpeg
    1D9F21B4-04E5-4EDC-8C19-BE3E4624F407.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 160

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Other than having to fiddle with the fuel filler neck, and later finding out I was rubbing on the front fender screw under hard cornering, after doing the fender screw mod (and bending the tab back a bit) there was no rubbing on track at VIR, even with the heavy compression + cornering at hogpen.

Also with everything settled it even sits alright, but absolutely needs more front camber though.

That's looks tough dude. 🤘

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
We will soon find out, as I just got confirmation that the first VW VS-5RS wheels will arrive at our office this coming Friday! The samples we plan to test on @ckuhns car are the 17x9" ET42 Brushed Clear VS-5RS' and I think the BC finish will look incredible on a red MK7 GSW. We plan to get tons of content across the board, so ya'll will have plenty of photo examples to reference when deciding on what finish to go with for the new forged wheels.

-Geirsen

Any idea on timing for 18” VS-5RS?

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R

-Geirsen
Nice. Really want a design like this. Much closer to the neuspeed I was looking at and fully forged.

Daily Driver

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
IMG_20220421_132336.jpg

Before

IMG_20220505_154234.jpg

After

IMG_20220505_154520.jpg

17x8.5
PS4S All season
245/45/17

IMG_20220505_154439.jpg

Stock suspension

White Silver Metallic on Race Silver.
Silver on silver on silver.

silver-surfer_marvel_gallery_6081b5b2b732e.jpg

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Kill the lug condoms. Otherwise looks as good as non bronze is gonna look. ;) White Silver has such an earthy undertone, it really suits bronze well. Of course I'd put bronze on any color GTI, so don't listen to me.