GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

-DK-

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
I've got 255/40r17's on mine, with 1.7 degrees negative camber it just barely brushes against the fender liner that covers the fuel filler on my wagon under compression. I still have all the stock rubber bushings in the rear, I imagine replacing those with something stiffer might even make it rub less.
yeah it's a little sketchy. I'm keeping my eye on it and may just add a 5mm spacer for piece of mind down the road/

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Just picked up a set of 17x9s on the Apex group buy and got them in today. These things are spectacular, and I'm excited for the snow to finish melting so that I can throw them on. In the meantime, I'm looking for some experience.

I run up and down some really rough roads, and want some extra sidewall to absorb impacts. I am thinking 245/45/17 on the 17x9 wheels, however, a I'm a little concerned about rubbing. It's a 2019 Golf R with stock suspension, and will have Indy 500s on it. Has anyone tried this combination? I'm fine with some rubbing, but if it's severe, I may go with Apex's recommendation of 255/40/17, but I that feels like a bit much width.

Thanks!

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Just picked up a set of 17x9s on the Apex group buy and got them in today. These things are spectacular, and I'm excited for the snow to finish melting so that I can throw them on. In the meantime, I'm looking for some experience.

I run up and down some really rough roads, and want some extra sidewall to absorb impacts. I am thinking 245/45/17 on the 17x9 wheels, however, a I'm a little concerned about rubbing. It's a 2019 Golf R with stock suspension, and will have Indy 500s on it. Has anyone tried this combination? I'm fine with some rubbing, but if it's severe, I may go with Apex's recommendation of 255/40/17, but I that feels like a bit much width.

Thanks!
Why would you want 245/45? Get 245/40 or 255/40.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Why would you want 245/45? Get 245/40 or 255/40.
Like I said, I run some really rough roads. Looking for more sidewall height than 245/40, but without the additional width of the 255/40.

Just looking to see if anyone has run 245/45 before. If not, then I may guinea pig this.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Like I said, I run some really rough roads. Looking for more sidewall height than 245/40, but without the additional width of the 255/40.

Just looking to see if anyone has run 245/45 before. If not, then I may guinea pig this.
A 245/45-17 is a bit tall for the R chassis but could technically work since it is within the 3% threshold for overall rolling diameter compared to stock. With that said, depending on your ride height and specific tire selection, that size might have a higher chance of rubbing under suspension compression vs. a 255/40-17 or a 245/40-17. I have seen a 245/45-17 used on an Alltrack but that car has much taller suspension to support that taller sidewall size. It might appear a bit chunky/SUV esque on a lowered R.

-Geirsen

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Any news on the VS-5RS 17x9?
Patience young grasshopper! At this point, you guys should know that this is the first place that I post any updates as they come through the pipeline.

We are still waiting for the initial sample wheels to finish up production, which should happen within the next week or so. For all of our sample wheels, we ship them via air, rather than the slow boat, so we should hopefully get them before the end of the month. Once we get our hands on the sample wheels, I will be able to share all the fun details such as weights, finish options, availability, pricing, etc. Stay tuned!

-Geirsen

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Patience young grasshopper! At this point, you guys should know that this is the first place that I post any updates as they come through the pipeline.

We are still waiting for the initial sample wheels to finish up production, which should happen within the next week or so. For all of our sample wheels, we ship them via air, rather than the slow boat, so we should hopefully get them before the end of the month. Once we get our hands on the sample wheels, I will be able to share all the fun details such as weights, finish options, availability, pricing, etc. Stay tuned!

-Geirsen
Still got my credit card finger ready for those black nuts!

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S

-Geirsen
Pitter patter, I have to take my snow tires off soon :D

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
It was 96 here yesterday. Pretty sure that's a sign that it's Forged Wheel Season.
it was 96 there in January, lol. It was 27 here this morning. Snow tires are the truth, but it's because of road temp more than ice or water, the rubber compounds in snow tires are meant to be grippiest when it's really cold.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
A 245/45-17 is a bit tall for the R chassis but could technically work since it is within the 3% threshold for overall rolling diameter compared to stock. With that said, depending on your ride height and specific tire selection, that size might have a higher chance of rubbing under suspension compression vs. a 255/40-17 or a 245/40-17. I have seen a 245/45-17 used on an Alltrack but that car has much taller suspension to support that taller sidewall size. It might appear a bit chunky/SUV esque on a lowered R.

-Geirsen
Thanks for the comments, Gerisen.

Agreed with your overall comment that 245/45/17 will look a little monster truck on the R, but that's a bit what I'm going for. I'll send some pics your way when they're on and the mountain bike shuttle trails are open again. I may need to pick up another set of wheels from you at some point in the future and make them my rally setup...

In any case, 245/45/17 are on their way! I'll let you know if they rub and what kind of adjustments need to be done to make them fit.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion

Just as a heads-up, we made a last-minute decision to go live with a "Tax Season Sale" which includes up to 20% off on all VW/Audi SM-10 wheels. Feel free to check out the sale via the following page on our website:

APEX Tax Season Sale

Cheers!

-Geirsen