GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'll say it again, El_Gato dude can react with the laugh emoji idc, but stock ride height looks great.
I don't mind the stock ride height, just wish the stock shocks weren't Sachs. I have one that's already shit the bed at 36k miles and my old car felt like both fronts were gone at 20k miles. The Bilsteins seem incorrectly valved for our cars with fragile shafts, so it's really just the Koni reds that seem to be suited to our stock height.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I dig stock R ride height, GTI is a little too much for me.

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
I dig stock R ride height, GTI is a little too much for me.
This is R springs (from a DSG car) on my manual GTI. I think the weight difference negated the slight drop the R has vs the GTI, but no matter, it was a fun experiment and I am enjoying the set-up both on the road and on the track. I have them on Koni yellows. No complaints (ok, other than wheel gap I guess). Need to get my Apex wheels mounted!

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...a-street-based-suspension.358504/post-7632174

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
This is R springs (from a DSG car) on my manual GTI. I think the weight difference negated the slight drop the R has vs the GTI, but no matter, it was a fun experiment and I am enjoying the set-up both on the road and on the track. I have them on Koni yellows. No complaints (ok, other than wheel gap I guess). Need to get my Apex wheels mounted!

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...a-street-based-suspension.358504/post-7632174

Yeah. You'd definitely need manual R springs to get a drop.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah. You'd definitely need manual R springs to get a drop.
Wait, manual cars have softer springs than dsg? I can't imagine that's going to hold with the Mk8, where we're the only market to get the manual R, they're just gonna throw whatever they have laying around on there.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Wait, manual cars have softer springs than dsg? I can't imagine that's going to hold with the Mk8, where we're the only market to get the manual R, they're just gonna throw whatever they have laying around on there.

I think you're misunderstanding. VW, and every manufacturer, has slight variations in length and rate for springs based on car configuration. You should see the number of different springs there were for the NC Miata.

If they didn't do this, then cars with heavier options would sit lower and be undersprung and via versa.

IIRC, CS and CSS use DSG R springs with no issue, but I think they were all DSG.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I think you're misunderstanding. VW, and every manufacturer, has slight variations in length and rate for springs based on car configuration. You should see the number of different springs there were for the NC Miata.

If they didn't do this, then cars with heavier options would sit lower and be undersprung and via versa.
No, I get it. I'm just saying that we can kiss that variability good bye for the manual NA Mk8 R's, they're not going to make different spring rates for such a rare car.

I also call BS on the need for them. Just looking at RealOEM, there's one spring rate for all M3's, and that's a car that has around a 200# weight differential based on options. I'm not saying Mazda didn't sweat the details on the NC, but it was probably for naught and it still rode like it was on shipping blocks and wallowed like a pig from the factory. There are probably ten NC's running around on stock springs anyway.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
No, I get it. I'm just saying that we can kiss that variability good bye for the manual NA Mk8 R's, they're not going to make different spring rates for such a rare car.

I also call BS on the need for them. Just looking at RealOEM, there's one spring rate for all M3's, and that's a car that has around a 200# weight differential based on options. I'm not saying Mazda didn't sweat the details on the NC, but it was probably for naught and it still rode like it was on shipping blocks and wallowed like a pig from the factory. There are probably ten NC's running around on stock springs anyway.

They'll just reuse mk7 R manual springs.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
They'll just reuse mk7 R manual springs.
Ha, wouldn't surprise me. The Mk8 gets significantly stiffer springs, but they'll probably find many ways to short the manual cars, aside from the obvious. I really am leaning more towards just tuning the daylights out of this car rather than moving to a Mk8, I like everything about it, aside from the ability to slide it around turns and melt rear tires.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Ha, wouldn't surprise me. The Mk8 gets significantly stiffer springs, but they'll probably find many ways to short the manual cars, aside from the obvious. I really am leaning more towards just tuning the daylights out of this car rather than moving to a Mk8, I like everything about it, aside from the ability to slide it around turns and melt rear tires.

You could alway do the Wavetrac front and rear diffs. Sure it'll probably cost you ~$10k but that's cheaper than an MK8. :p

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

I've decided to stay with my current car for awhile. Partly trying to max out savings and 401k for the next few years getting ready to retire, the other part I've fixed all the issues of the mk7 that bothered me, so I'm not sure the mk8 will actually be an improvement over my correct mk7 setup.

The next STI might be tempting though...