GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Has anyone run into rubbing on the inner lip of the 17x9? I think my steering rack is making contact.
I hadn't seen any issues on my R with stock suspension. I pulled them off when I put the 034 camber plates in and didn't see any sign of rubbing anywhere under the car, except for a very small amount on the fender screw (not modded).

Running 245/45/17 Indy 500s on them.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Man, I was hoping this day was further away. I still don't even have a clue on when I'll get my Mk8 R. And yes, I realize these will fit fine both on my Mk7 and also in the closet, right next to my intercooler.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I guess i need to sell my Rennforms and get these. If for no other reason than to not have to run spacers and hub rings. Or i could run these and put the 5mm spacers in the back so i can run 265's

Edit: 17's only right now

Edit 2 : i'd like to see anthracite and black on a grey car

Reactions: q74

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Assuming the new VS-5RS 17x9" ET42 can fit a bone stock 2018 Golf R without camber plates, without spacers, and without rolling the fenders, I am very interested in a set in anthracite for my daily driver.

Finally wore out the stock tires so great time for new rims, I'm too old for crap ride on 19's
likely would go with Continental DWS06+ or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 tires

The 17x9" ET42 can fit on a stock Golf R with 255/40-17 tires if you plan on running something a bit more street-oriented. Worse-case, you might need to do the "fender screw mod" but that takes all of 10min and is super easy to DIY.

I guess i need to sell my Rennforms and get these. If for no other reason than to not have to run spacers and hub rings. Or i could run these and put the 5mm spacers in the back so i can run 265's

Edit: 17's only right now

Edit 2 : i'd like to see anthracite and black on a grey car

17x9" ET42 is the only fitment available at the moment. The reason for this is our current 18" VS-5RS barrel was designed for wider and deeper concavity fitments and did not translate well to the shallower 18x8.5" ET43 or 18x9" ET42 specs we needed for VW. When we tested it, the barrel significantly lacked in the brake clearance department, which required additional spacing to clear a lot of the popular kits that the current 18x9" ET42 SM-10 can clear with ease. That said, we do plan to offer 18" VW forged fitments later on but we might pivot to a new design (SM-10RS) with a revised barrel to better support large BBKs. However, this will likely be a project we tackle closer to the end of the year.

Unfortunately, I was only allotted 1 set of sample wheels for fitment testing and photography, so I decided to go with Brushed Clear as that finish is new for our VW/Audi market. For this Group Buy, Brushed Clear, Anthracite, and Satin Bronze will be available and the finishes are practically the same as our flow formed SM-10s. There won't be any Satin Black options for the VS-5RS at launch but we may add it at a later date (well after the GB) depending on demand.

-Geirsen

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Just because I’m being indecisive, are there any pics of the VS-5RS in Bronze, not in VW fitment, just in general? 95% sure I want brushed but there’s always that 5% of doubt.

smashedpotatoes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf 7 R
Just because I’m being indecisive, are there any pics of the VS-5RS in Bronze, not in VW fitment, just in general? 95% sure I want brushed but there’s always that 5% of doubt.
Yes, there are a bunch of wheel shots on the group buy page along with them on a couple of cars. Looks REALLY good.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Ask and ye shall receive:

-Geirsen

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Oh damn. And you ordered a Blue R. You've got to get the bronze. My offer stands. If you get the R before the grip buy over and want to test fit bronze Apex wheels, let me know

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh damn. And you ordered a Blue R. You've got to get the bronze. My offer stands. If you get the R before the grip buy over and want to test fit bronze Apex wheels, let me know
Ha, thanks, don’t hold your breath, they’re dragging their feet on building more manuals.

Zipobilrok

Car(s)
'18 Golf R
The 17x9" ET42 can fit on a stock Golf R with 255/40-17 tires if you plan on running something a bit more street-oriented. Worse-case, you might need to do the "fender screw mod" but that takes all of 10min and is super easy to DIY.

Thank you for the confirmation. I'm in, pledged this morning.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Thank you for the confirmation. I'm in, pledged this morning.

Pledged for the 17's

Right on! I dig the momentum we are gaining so far! Looking forward to seeing both of your cars on these wheels in due time. :cool:

If anyone has any questions regarding the new VS-5RS wheels, how they compared to the SM-10s, the differences between flow formed and forged, or how the Group Buy process works, please do not be shy. I'm more than happy to dive into detail on any technical topics here!

-Geirsen

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Right on! I dig the momentum we are gaining so far! Looking forward to seeing both of your cars on these wheels in due time. :cool:

If anyone has any questions regarding the new VS-5RS wheels, how they compared to the SM-10s, the differences between flow formed and forged, or how the Group Buy process works, please do not be shy. I'm more than happy to dive into detail on any technical topics here!

-Geirsen
I'm just hoping I can get the brushed silver finish.