GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Black stud conversion kit just showed up! Stoked.
Thanks for the reminder! I forgot to mention that both the black and silver M14 OE-spec ball seat VW/Audi stud conversion kits are in stock and ready to ship. You can also add them to your GB pledge to get free shipping!

On the topic of VW/Audi accessories, we also have Red, Blue, and Green/Gold APEX VW/Audi-spec center caps now available for purchase. You can also add additional colored center cap sets to your GB pledge via Gangup.

-Geirsen

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Hey all,

If you have not already picked up a set of SM-10s for your VW/Audi, now is the time to do so! We just launched our second official VW/Audi SM-10 Group Buy, which includes all four of our 17" and 18" MQB specific fitments. With discounts up to $300 off plus free shipping, we anticipate this deal to gain traction fast!

You can check out the details and pledge to our 2022 SM-10 Group Buy via the following link:

APEX 2022 VW/Audi SM-10 Group Buy

If anyone has any fitment/technical questions, or general inquires about how the Gangup process works, please do not hesitate to reach out.

-Geirsen
Can you explain this a bit more? How does it work?

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
If anyone has any fitment/technical questions, or general inquires about how the Gangup process works, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Any customers buy a set for a VW Taos (or have you mounted a set)? Probably getting my daughter a Taos for a first car and hate the OEM wheels. I guess I could throw my set of SM-10s on and see how they fit, if I pull the trigger on a Taos for her.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
Any chance you'll sell just the nuts? I would love some black ball seats but I have no need for new studs.

This is next on our To-Do list! I will keep you posted once we create the product pages on the website for the ala-carte VW nuts.

Any chance of silver finish on the 17x9s?

Not for this current GB. Unfortunately, we had to cut back on production for new SKUs recently, and the Race Silver 17x9" ET42 didn't make it this time around. With that said, we are still working to offer that finish for all VW SM-10 SKUs but it will just take time as we continue to establish ourselves in this market.

Any customers buy a set for a VW Taos (or have you mounted a set)? Probably getting my daughter a Taos for a first car and hate the OEM wheels. I guess I could throw my set of SM-10s on and see how they fit, if I pull the trigger on a Taos for her.

I am not aware of any Taos customers with SM-10s installed. However, I would be very interested to see how it turns out! Considering the Taos is based on the MQB platform, there isn't any reason I can think of why the SM-10s won't work just fine fitment-wise. With that said, if you do install a set on a Taos, please send us over some pictures for us to use for future customer reference!

-Geirsen

Johaan

Ready to race!
I have a Taos and GTI, and my Taos black wheel package is fine for what it is.

Apex wheels would probably look good on it, especially in black against my kings red. The Taos is no barn burner though, would be pure cosmetics. I’d wondered about the offset, could not find any specs with a quick google out of curiosity.

Dunno if helpful, but here’s a side by side I took after I got my SM-10s.

1644296357713.jpeg

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
I have a Taos and GTI, and my Taos black wheel package is fine for what it is.

Apex wheels would probably look good on it, especially in black against my kings red. The Taos is no barn burner though, would be pure cosmetics. I’d wondered about the offset, could not find any specs with a quick google out of curiosity.

I like meat on my vehicles, so I couldn't live with those 215 tires from the factory. The OEM wheels are 17x7 (et45), 18x7 (et45), and 19x8 (et47). I'm pretty confident 17x8.5 would fit with some 245/50R17 or 255/50R17. I could always go with 18x8.5s as well. Then just have to decide if I want to lower it an inch.

As for barn burner, not too concerned with that. Just like some lateral grip for handling at higher speeds. I did take her out driving manual trans GTIs (both my wife and I drive MK7.5 manual GTIs), although she can do it OK, she said she would prefer an automatic. So the trade off is slower speeds for that automatic, but since I'm paying, she can't complain.

dscsk8er55

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
My wheels should be here tomorrow (bummed I missed the group buy but oh well :)). Now I am trying to decide what tires to get for my 18x8.5 SM-10's. I am lowered on what I think is VWR springs and am worried about rubbing. Looks like PO did a slight fender roll but not the fender liner screw. Anyone on lowering springs can comment on what tire size to run. As always we want as much contact patch as possible but not sure 245/40 would be too much. I know I would be fine if I had camber plates, so I might get them anyways and then upgrade to coilovers with camber plates if I do rub. Just figured I would come on here first.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
My wheels should be here tomorrow (bummed I missed the group buy but oh well :)). Now I am trying to decide what tires to get for my 18x8.5 SM-10's. I am lowered on what I think is VWR springs and am worried about rubbing. Looks like PO did a slight fender roll but not the fender liner screw. Anyone on lowering springs can comment on what tire size to run. As always we want as much contact patch as possible but not sure 245/40 would be too much. I know I would be fine if I had camber plates, so I might get them anyways and then upgrade to coilovers with camber plates if I do rub. Just figured I would come on here first.

If you are planning to run street tires, you will be in good standing with a 245/40-18. However, if you plan to run something a bit more aggressive like a 200TW or R compound tire, you will likely need front camber plates for both fitment and tire-wear reasons. With lowering springs, you shouldn't have any rubbing with a 245/40-18 as long as your ride height isn't too low. However, if those tires do catch on the fenders under suspension compression, a fender screw mod is typically the best way to alleviate any rubbing.

-Geirsen