GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Yep, I'm familiar with the pressures indicated on those stickers; I'm wondering if they're for OEM sizes only. I'm not sure about this, but In a few places I've seen recommendations for lower pressures for wheels with smaller diameters and tires with higher profiles.
What's the load index of the tires that you are switching to? Once you know that, you can start to figure out the cold inflation pressure.

tarheelbob

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 VW GTI S
Some quick and dirty parking lot pics when picking it up from the installation. 2021 GTI Dark Iron Blue with 17x8.5 wheels and sticky Continental Extreme Contact Sport 235/45 R17.

Wheels 1.jpg

Wheels 2.jpg

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Looks like my order is (was) being held because of unavailability/backorder of the same color (anthracite) valve stems. After a couple of emails with Apex, we agreed that a substitution of silver metal valve stems was acceptable. I'm anticipating a shipping confirmation email at any time now.
An interesting discussion came up in our email conversation; Apex apparently thought my 2017 GTI Sport used wheel-mounted TPMS sensors. My wheels clearly do not have any TPMS wheel sensors (I'm on my second set of tires & had the valve stems replaced with the newest set) and my understanding is that the ABS system provides that function. When did VW go to the ABS system providing the TPMS function?

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
What's the load index of the tires that you are switching to? Once you know that, you can start to figure out the cold inflation pressure.
Tire Rack lists its max. load at 1,609 (XL).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Like you said, given the width, it's pretty good for a flow formed wheel. Forged can certainly be lighter, and you can certainly go lighter with flow formed, but it's going to be a trade off in terms of strength and deflection.

I've tried to explain wheel deflection to people previously in the light wheel thread and people acted like I was crazy. Deflection has serious performance and durability implications.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I've tried to explain wheel deflection to people previously in the light wheel thread and people acted like I was crazy. Deflection has serious performance and durability implications.
I haven't been following the light wheel thread for a while & would like to get educated on the subject of wheel deflection. If you don't mind, might you be able to provide me an appropriate link on the subject?
Much appreciated!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I haven't been following the light wheel thread for a while & would like to get educated on the subject of wheel deflection. If you don't mind, might you be able to provide me an appropriate link on the subject?
Much appreciated!

You won't find much on the internet. Everyone wants super light wheels. Reduced deflection doesn't sound as sexy, but it isn't rocket science. The more deflection, the more clearance you need for your brakes, the more variation there is in your dynamic alignment settings, and the more deflection there is, the faster a wheel will reach point of failure under track conditions. Wheels are a consumable on a tracked or raced car.

Last edited:

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
the more deflection there is, the faster a wheel will reach point of failure I under track conditions.
Exactly this. Cyclic fatigue on aluminum wheels is a thing that most people don't understand. Aluminum WILL fail eventually due to cyclic fatigue. How soon depends on the stress in the material which with more deflection, is higher.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Exactly this. Cyclic fatigue on aluminum wheels is a thing that most people don't understand. Aluminum WILL fail eventually due to cyclic fatigue. How soon depends on the stress in the material which with more deflection, is higher.

It's easy for people to understand that bending a paper clip back and forth will cause it to break, but can't see the same principle applies to track wheels.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's easy for people to understand that bending a paper clip back and forth will cause it to break, but can't see the same principle applies to track wheels.
Except paper clips are steel, which does not suffer from cyclic fatigue like aluminum, but does fail when pushed past it's limits, like bending it 180 degrees multiple times. There's a reason I replace my aluminum seatposts and handlebars on my bikes fairly frequently but don't worry about the titanium seatpost nearly as much. Nothing worse than a snapped seatpost saying hello to your posterior.