GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Johaan

Ready to race!
Option 2 would be preferred. Cheap winter wheels are great, they're going to be beat up anyway and I don't need the weight savings when they're getting chunky winter rubber anyway. No machining on the side of the spokes also means less likelihood of snow and ice building up in there and causing balance issues. That said, I definitely value having replacement wheels available quickly, so if stocking both sets of wheels would be problematic I'd rather have the normal wheels and be able to get quick replacements in case of pothole death.

Also, holy cow how is the boat still sitting in the harbor waiting for a dock spot??? Frustrating for us, I can't imagine how frustrating it is for your company that can't realize the revenue, not to mention the boat's crew.
Yeah, I guess I’m not the only one checking it twice a day and seeing it still at anchor. Still need the A-Team… maybe they can find a Xbox Series-X on the boat at the same time.
On the next round of wheels, I’m out, being in the south only need the one set and will still have my Austin’s in the garage if needed … but I’d still wish the AS4 was offered for this group buy since that’s what I plan to get. Realize why it wasn’t, just one more step.

rjtrout

Go Kart Newbie
Yeah, I guess I’m not the only one checking it twice a day and seeing it still at anchor. Still need the A-Team… maybe they can find a Xbox Series-X on the boat at the same time.
On the next round of wheels, I’m out, being in the south only need the one set and will still have my Austin’s in the garage if needed … but I’d still wish the AS4 was offered for this group buy since that’s what I plan to get. Realize why it wasn’t, just one more step.
That XBOX would be a nice score...

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
This is what we have to deal with since people won’t go back to work
Yeah that's a BS political talking point. Ports are the busiest they're ever been and imports are through the roof. Port of LA just set an all time record for throughput https://www.portoflosangeles.org/references/news_061521_onemillionteu . Covid restrictions have absolutely affected ability to manage more cargo but there's no one factor that's causing the port backups, it's a multitude of them that have combined to form the traffic jam we see now.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Yeah that's a BS political talking point. Ports are the busiest they're ever been and imports are through the roof. Port of LA just set an all time record for throughput https://www.portoflosangeles.org/references/news_061521_onemillionteu . Covid restrictions have absolutely affected ability to manage more cargo but there's no one factor that's causing the port backups, it's a multitude of them that have combined to form the traffic jam we see now.
Well said. We all just need to be a bit patient.

Tom Brohanks

Go Kart Champion
Well said. We all just need to be a bit patient.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
This is what we have to deal with since people won’t go back to work

Said by someone that has likely never seen normal traffic going through the port of Oakland, let alone heavy traffic.

Y’all think this is bad, wait till the trucks have to go down 880, you’ll fondly reminisce about days of ships parked in the middle of the bay. 😂

nicksoco831

We offer a dedicated Winter Group Buy in early Fall of this year with the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 with options for both Michelin Pilot AS4 All-seasons and Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Performance tires. The Group Buy discount tiers will likely be the same as the last GB ($250 off plus free mounting/balancing and shipping) and we would likely start shipping orders out by mid/late October. With the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 pricing and the max GB discount, this would mean a set of wheels would cost $1,046 before tires.
To my understanding, there are no Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s in 17 inch size that would fit our cars. My dilemma is, I would love to run this tire, but I really don’t want to run 18 inch wheels to accommodate them. I would much rather run a 17 inch wheel. Perhaps a dedicated winter tire like Michelin’s new “X-Ice Snow” (the successor to the X-Ice XI3) would be our only option for a true 17 inch winter tire (offered by Michelin).

That being said, I would buy Option #2 in a heartbeat.

APEXWheels

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GSW 4-Motion
To my understanding, there are no Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4’s in 17 inch size that would fit our cars. My dilemma is, I would love to run this tire, but I really don’t want to run 18 inch wheels to accommodate them. I would much rather run a 17 inch wheel. Perhaps a dedicated winter tire like Michelin’s new “X-Ice Snow” (the successor to the X-Ice XI3) would be our only option for a true 17 inch winter tire (offered by Michelin).

That being said, I would buy Option #2 in a heartbeat.
Good catch!

We were hearing rumors that the PA4 might be offered in 17"s this year but considering Michelin's backorder list on much more popular tires, I doubt that will happen in time for this Winter season. The Winter Group Buy will be 17" only, so we will likely be including the new X-ice Snow since the PA4 isn't available in the sizes we need.

-Geirsen

LongShift88

Car(s)
Golf R
Hey guys,

Alongside our new VW forged wheel project, we are also looking at some options for Winter wheels as it seems a lot of VW owners tend to run their cars year-round. I am currently building out a survey to gauge the community's interest as to which direction we should go for a dedicated VW winter wheel. However, I wanted to run through some ideas to get some detailed input before going live with the survey.

Option #1:

We offer a dedicated Winter Group Buy in early Fall of this year with the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 with options for both Michelin Pilot AS4 All-seasons and Michelin Alpin PA4 Winter Performance tires. The Group Buy discount tiers will likely be the same as the last GB ($250 off plus free mounting/balancing and shipping) and we would likely start shipping orders out by mid/late October. With the current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 pricing and the max GB discount, this would mean a set of wheels would cost $1,046 before tires.

Option #2:

We offer a "Winter Spec" version of our current 17x8.5" ET43 SM-10 without Spoke Scalloping and Knurled beading, which will likely reduce the cost by around $50 per wheel. The weight would be slightly increased due to the removal of the Spoke Scalloping but the idea is that it would be a fair trade-off for an overall reduced cost. Plus, considering these are Winter wheels, the slight increase in weight wouldn't make all that big of a difference for their application. Just like option #1, we would offer a Group Buy in early Fall with the same discount tiers and winter/all-season tire options. However, with the max discount, the "winter spec" SM-10 would cost around $850 before tires.

Another thing to note is if we went with option #1 that might open the door for an all-new rally-inspired wheel design with an emphasis on strength, that we could offer in Winter fitments. This would likely not be available until the following year, however.

I am personally leaning towards option #1, as I feel most enthusiasts would be fine paying the extra $50 per wheel for spoke scalloping and knurled beading but I could be completely wrong. Hence why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys.

Let me know what ya'll think!

-Geirsen
Option 1, would still want the option to use the wheels for track duty if I retire the car for snow season.