GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. jmblur

New Autox/Track/Weekend car?

A startup I was in hit it pretty big. That means I have a nice little budget now to play with, wife (begrudgingly) approved. So I basically have 75-100k to play with, not including the totally legit possibility of selling my R. I do ideally want a 2 car setup, a winter capable, comfortable but...
  2. jmblur

APR DSG tune behaving badly? "No auto-upshift in manual" only working occasionally

Not sure what's up. I had the 'plus" DSG tune which behaved well for a few years, now that I'm out of warranty I switched over this spring and turned off auto upshift. Auto-upshift is definitely "off"... In that if I just mat it from first or second it usually hits fuel cut and doesn't upshift...
  3. jmblur

Almost 5 years without a single dent.

Streak over. F At least it was a colleague/work friend who did it so I know he's good for it. Hoping it's paint transfer not missing paint so it might PDR out.
  4. jmblur

Filling out my garage... What would you do?

Three car garage. ~80-100k budget, but can trade in the R. Need a DD (Boston, so it will see snow... And potholes... And stop and go traffic) that can handle school dropoff duty, and something I can autocross/track. They can be the same car! Current: 2015 Subaru Outback - wife's car, she...
  5. jmblur

SOLD: NEW Macan Caliper (right front only)

Porsche part 95B-615-123-F. Ever so briefly mounted, without pads or lines, and not even torqued down, for a laser scan fitment check (this is why your Apex wheels fit over these so nicely! See the pic below). Just one side because that's all they needed to check. Includes pad retainers...
  6. jmblur

Wet spark plug threads

Replaced spark plugs (OEM) at 40k. Car is stage 1 (APR). Threads were all pretty dark, but cylinder 2 was noticeably wet with dark fluid. Didn't smell like gas so I'm assuming oil. Photo of 1 on left, 2 on right below. Don't have a boroscope (might have to go pick one up now) but you can...
  7. jmblur

17 or 18" winters?

In the past I've run 17s for winter. I need new tires and the wheels are pretty trashed (lots of flaking finish all over the place) so it's time to replace both. I've noticed that, at least the last couple years, all the newer performance winters seem to start at 18" (or high aspect ratio in...
  8. jmblur

Might be picking up a second car... Should I ditch the R for autox?

So wasn't really planning on it but a friend is giving me a decent deal on a 996 Cabrio 6 speed with LSD. Seems like about the right time for a midlife crisis! I'm not a competitive autocrosser (@bfury5 can vouch for that!) So I'm just running for fun. I love the R but I'm thinking with the...
  9. jmblur

034 rear shock mounts - any good?

Anybody run the street density rear shock mounts from 034? I generally don't like 034 stuff (bad experiences in my B5 Audi days) but at half the price of OEM might take a flyer on them. Will be installed with stiffer suspension so the higher durometer might be a good thing anyway.
  10. jmblur

SOLD: NIB Eurosport Camber Kit

$130 + shipping or pickup in Boston area. Went a different way with my build. Bags are still sealed, comes in original box. Awesome way to get more negative camber without NVH implications, just won't work with my coilovers. (Part number 18700K)
  11. jmblur

Suspension clack - help tracking it down?

Suspension noise I can't track down. Just did CSS knuckles, front sway bar, RS3 bushings, and a strut bar up front. Ran fine for a couple hours, including an alignment, then developed loud clack on sharp impacts (pothole, train track, 1" step up/down when entering/exiting garage), particularly...
  12. jmblur

Reuse ball joints with new steering knuckles?

Those who have replaced their steering knuckles, did you reuse your ball joints or get new ones? I'm upgrading to CSS knuckles and the erwin manual says to get new ones but hoping to avoid that since the car is already half apart!
  13. jmblur

FS: NIB NGK RS7 plugs SOLD

Set of 4. Decided to stick with OEM. My loss, your gain, etc. Part number 06K905601M, the latest NGK version. SOLD
  14. jmblur

Ride height for best performance?

Putting it here because this subforum is far superior to the armchair suspension engineers in the suspension forum where more low is always better. Convinced myself that Ohlins is the way to go for my mk7 R. The current Ohlins design has very little drop from stock ride height- maybe 5mm. Per...
  15. jmblur

WTB Schroth Quickfit

Pro slightly preferred. No belts that have been in an accident (duh) or over 5 years old.
  16. jmblur

Making a bunch of suspension changes at once - too much?

I always like being able to see the effect a change has on the car (especially to make sure it's doing what I expect it to do), but with the front suspension I'm looking at possibly making a number of changes at the same time over the winter because they're all related, so it'll save me a TON of...
  17. jmblur

Thermostat needs replacing. Anything else to do "while I'm in there"?

Car is stg 1 and has just under 30k. Very obvious thermostat housing failure. Work is being covered under warranty. Since I can't leave well enough alone, and I know the official repair involves removing the intake manifold, is it worth asking them to do a carbon cleaning while they're in...
  18. jmblur

Garage lifts - 2 vs 4 post vs scissor?

Looking into a lift for my garage. High ceiling (at least 12'), kinda narrow on the bay I'd like to use for the lift but plenty deep. I don't intend on dropping an engine any time soon, but lots of wheel swaps, suspension work, fluids, etc. Wondering if anybody has experience working on a...
  19. jmblur

Seatbelt lock - could somebody do a quick test?

If you pull your driver's seatbelt ALL the way out, then let it back in, does this engage the safety lock (ratchet) or not? All my other seats do this but not the driver's seat, worried my latching mechanism might be broken.
  20. jmblur

Alignment for STU Golf R?

Looking for a decent alignment target for a golf R. I know the GTI benefits from near zero toe all around, not sure the R is similar or not. Looking for a good compromise between handling, tire wear, and daily drivability (minimal tramlining, not too twitchy/unstable at speed). I should be...