GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. M

Have I been wasting $ on premium for years?

I can also say that when I run 93 instead of 91 I get better gas mileage. Maybe not enough to offset the cost difference, but enough to soften the blow. These days I run 93 in both my Golf R and my Audi SQ5. The best gas mileage I get is always with BP gas. Sadly I don't have it where I live...
  2. M

Unusual turbo lag

Let me know how this works out! I actually ended up with a different 2018 Golf R after I posted this. And although it doesn't have this issue, the turbo lag still annoys me. Wondering if the DV in this one is an older rev as well and if there is an updated version or aftermarket replacement that...
  3. M

Golf R specifics

So I ended up returning the second one to Carmax as well! Nutty! I got a third one from them over the weekend that appears to be the winner. It lived its former life in Southern CA and has zero rust. Engine, brakes, and suspension look pristine. The downside from seeing less rain and salt is...
  4. M

Golf R specifics

Yup, that looks like them.
  5. M

Golf R specifics

Seems to be solid plastic, not plastidip. I also cannot find these though, so I am curious where they came from. Maybe they are for Alltrack or another compatible model? Really not sure.
  6. M

Golf R specifics

Ran into another issue as well... Just had to laugh a bit at this one... I think there might have been a bit more lipstick on this one than I originally noticed. Still probing to see what else I missed. Also noticing that these mirror covers do not look like stock. Not sure if that is because...
  7. M

Golf R specifics

I tried a variety of products this am. It's better, but not good. Not from my cleaning, but some of the chrome is pitted or already peeled off. This was just too much neglect to bring it all the way back, I fear.
  8. M

Golf R specifics

I bet this is what I am hearing. I didn't realize the R had this. I honestly didn't realize any of the VWs had this. Thought it was just Audi! I'll check the settings, but this is likely what it is.
  9. M

Golf R specifics

I'm starting to wonder if ceramic glass cleaner would do the trick.
  10. M

Golf R specifics

Holy sh*t. that's impressive!
  11. M

Golf R specifics

Thanks, guys.
  12. M

Golf R specifics

Next question... Any suggestions to gently remove this caked on soot. Soap and a scrub brush isn't touching it. It is actually a lot darker than it looks in the photo.
  13. M

Golf R specifics

I believe it's all stock on the exhaust.
  14. M

Golf R specifics

Could any of you guys with an R (7.5 ideally) check your flash counters in obd11, or equivalent? On the first R I tried they were at 5. On this new one they are all at 1. Trying to determine for sure if that means "never been tuned". I believe it does, unless you guys come back and tell me it...
  15. M

Golf R specifics

Agree. if you are looking for something else it is better to just go seek out a different vehicle that has the things you want vs doing heavy mods. Minor stuff, sure, but not big stuff.
  16. M

Golf R specifics

Indirectly... YES haha. Agree. I try to really keep my cars from looking like this. i.e. I wash them haha. This one looks pretty beat honestly, and too pimped for my taste, and I'm looking for an MK7.5. thanks though! That was my take too. It all looked very superficial, so as long as I start...
  17. M

Golf R specifics

Definitely a valid suggestion. There are a lot of other variables into the equation for me but I will take the next 30 days to have it thoroughly evaluated for sure. It's not awful but it's clear that they didn't do all they could have to keep things clean. Photos attached. Small amounts of...
  18. M

Golf R specifics

So after almost a month with the White 2018 Golf R it is going back to CarMax. It was well maintained, but so heavily modded (and then [mostly]undone) that it just seems like a recipe for disaster. I know a few of the mods going into the purchase, but little by little I have been unraveling more...
  19. M

Unusual turbo lag

Ah makes sense. The good news is that I have an appointment with VW early next week, so they should get this sorted out. I may have a look at it over the weekend to confirm the diagnosis though. Always nice to know before they tell you it's a larger or different repair...
  20. M

Unusual turbo lag

I'm honestly surprised it boosts at all with it disconnected. How does it eventually open without the solenoid connected? ...I obviously am still learning the mechanics of this valve and its interplay with the turbo...