GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. mrmatto

Set of 4: Kumho V730, 255/40/r17

No longer for sale $400 OBO. Jacksonville, FL. Willing to meet you halfway if you're not too far. Selling a set of 4 Kumho V730 tires in 255/40r17 size that I ran on my mk7 GTI in STH class. They have just one short autocross 2023 season (~6 events) on them so lots of life left. I've been...
  2. mrmatto

SOLD - CTS FMIC

SOLD $280 OBO. Located in Jacksonville, FL. Willing to meet you halfway if you're not too far away. CTS Front Mount Intercooler. Cooler and hoses are in great shape. Sells for $450-500 new. Fits mk7 and mk7.5 VW GTI but check website to confirm fitment as it probably won't fit if you have the...
  3. mrmatto

235/45r17 tire on a 7.5" or 8" rim?

For street. My gut tells me 8" width would better support the tire and 7.5" would be too floppy. Buuuuut there are a lot more 17x7.5 options. I'm curious what you 17"-ers have experienced. (235/45r17 is closest to stock size and I'm stock ride height)
  4. mrmatto

Normal amount of rear wheel play?

Both sides show this same level of side-to-side play or flex. Looks like bushing flex. A local shop took a look and said there's no play. Is there an issue here or no? Obviously some of this is the tire flexing, but you can see the wheel and suspension parts moving too. There's no flex or play...
  5. mrmatto

New GRM feature on sway bars

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2017-golf-gti/fitting-stiffer-sway-bars-that-wont-ruin-our-gtis/ 034 bars and links. Rear upgrade only: “drop from a fastest lap of 1:22.44 to 1:21.67 with the bar on its stiffest setting” Rear + Front: “set a new personal best with the front sway...
  6. mrmatto

Window trim stretched out of shape after removing rain guards

Doesn’t seal up to the window anymore, causing a bunch of wind noise. Any ideas to fix?
  7. mrmatto

What is this humming noise? Super annoying

Audio file: http://sndup.net/gx5z Worst at 70-75 mph, goes away at exactly 77mph and 65mph Audible at low speeds too but quieter and less consistent Mostly heard on rough pavement or super smooth concrete. Small bumps at speed (like expansion joints) cause the sound sometimes to be emphasized...
  8. mrmatto

GoFundMe for forum server upgrade?

Do we need to upgrade the server? The forum has been incredibly slow and sometimes not loading at all for at least the past week or so. This place is such an active wealth of knowledge and robust discussion. I'd hate for it to become a ghost town because the site doesn't work. I've tried on and...
  9. mrmatto

How to determine if carbon cleaning is needed

2015, stage 1, 76k mi Had a cyl 2 misfire and hide cylinder over the weekend and it fixed itself after restarting. Swapped plugs to be safe. Borescoped pistons and 1,2,4 have a thin layer of carbon on them, and 3 is about half carboned. I haven’t had any luck getting the borescope to any of the...
  10. mrmatto

Ugh. EPC and misfire

Pulling onto the highway, car stuttered and lost power, EPC came on. Sitting on the side of the highway wondering what to do lol… Update: Let the car sit and restarted and the EPC and misfires went away. Wtf just happened I guess I shouldnt autocross today huh. Bad plug? Barely 5k mi on...
  11. mrmatto

Adjusting front toe

Is it pretty easy to adjust front toe? I’d like to test some adjustments then put it back to 0, as it is now. Not sure if that’s something I can reasonably do at home… Is this a good process to follow?
  12. mrmatto

Which Audi wheels on my mk7?

Did some quick crappy Photoshopping last night to visualize some wheel finalists. I know which one I prefer, but what do you like? Edit: Looking to stick with 18's, preferably 18x8.
  13. mrmatto

Alignment shop unable to get 0 toe in rear

Just had my alignment done after getting new dampers put in. I asked for 0 toe in the rear but the best they could do was 0.14° in on each side. I told them "No, this is off. Should be 0." The guy went and talked to the tech and the tech said he couldn't get it any closer with the -1.6° camber I...
  14. mrmatto

Review: Koni Special Actives with OEM springs

When I was researching these dampers, I had a hard time finding more than a few GTI owners with this combo. So I want to record information and impressions for posterity in case someone else is interested in this ugprade in the future. TL;DR at the bottom. BACKGROUND My car: 2015 GTI S, stage...
  15. mrmatto

Why no engine torque damper for this platform?

Why doesn't anyone make an engine torque damper for these cars? If you're unfamiliar, they typically attach between the engine (often the engine mount) and the body (like the strut tower or something else strong) to reduce engine movement, reducing wheel hop. Used one on my Mazda 3 and it worked...
  16. mrmatto

Perfectly balancing the GTI into a Grand Tourer

I've always enjoyed Grand Tourers -- cars that balance sportiness with luxury and comfort. To me, this concept is the pinnacle of a daily driver. Whether you're an aging millennial like myself, a full-on old fart, or shuttling a family around during the week while giving it the beans on the...
  17. mrmatto

My symphony of suspension noises

2015 non-DCC w/ 67,000 miles. I have several noises coming from the suspension that have been getting worse over the last month or so. Maybe it's the cold weather, multiple autocross events, or both. But AFAIK, there shouldn't be noises. When the car is cold or has been siting a while...
  18. mrmatto

Camber's effect on exit understeer

Theoretically, on a FWD car with no LSD in a hard corner -- More negative camber helps the outside tire grip better, but does adding more negative camber decrease traction on the inner tire, thereby increasing the tendency to understeer when accelerating out of a turn? After all, you want your...
  19. mrmatto

Replacing dampers. What else should I replace?

67k miles, stock springs Swapping in Koni Special Active dampers Replacing strut mounts and bearings Installing Eurosport camber mounts What else should be replaced or upgraded at this time? Mostly a daily driver, and I autocross 1-2x/month. Goal is to not increase NVH.
  20. mrmatto

Low speed clunking/knocking sound

It’s a low frequency rumble/knock/clunk/thump, It think it’s coming from the front right. Happens over small bumps or rough/uneven pavement. Seems to only happen after the car has sat for a while and goes away after driving for a few minutes. Any ideas?