GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. GenX Retread

Can the detents in the DSG shifter be firmed up?

I find the detents between auto/manual and D/N to be kind of soft; sometimes the weight of my arm will pull or push it into the adjacent position when I'm driving to the library or church. Can it be adjusted or improved?
  2. GenX Retread

What springs do you like on a car with DCC?

I tried a search, but it returns a hit for every post by someone with DCC in their sigline... I'm thinking of the H&R OE Sport springs. I don't want to go very aggressive on drop or stance, but a little low would be good. Significant drop springs or coilovers are out. I'm generally impressed...
  3. GenX Retread

What are your favourite winter tires?

The best winter boots I've ever had on a car were Toyo Observe G-02s, on my '95 GTI VR6. That car was basically unstoppable with those tires; great tread pattern, and the walnut shells ground up in the rubber aren't a placebo... those things stuck to ice like hockey skates. The only time I got...
  4. GenX Retread

Where is this paradise?

Where in the world is a coastal town/city, relatively affordable, with good sailing and an active sailing community, or at least yachty boatyards, and excellent roads nearby for motorcycling and general vehicular fun time? Since I'm in Canada, let's say somewhere other than Canada. Basically...
  5. GenX Retread

Audio output just... quits.

Yesterday for the 4th time, my stereo just decided to quit making sound. Every time this happens it's the same routine: I've been playing music at high volume for a while, and then the sound just dies. I'm half deaf, and some bands are not to be enjoyed at tepid volumes. It doesn't matter what...
  6. GenX Retread

What other cars did you test drive or consider before buying your VW?

Mustang GT PP1: this is the car I really wanted, but optioned equally to my GTI - all the driver assist tech, adaptive suspension, LSD etc.- would have cost just a hair under $60K CAD - that's $20K more than I paid. Mini: Mostly because they look cool, but they drive horribly, lack power, and...
  7. GenX Retread

'21 GTI Impressions, Hits, & Misses

Background: I picked up a '21 GTI Autobahn DSG 5 weeks ago. It's my first 'car' since 2005; during that long winter of my discontent I've been driving pickups (a dozen I think) and one Explorer. Before that I had Mk3 2.0 and VR6 GTIs back to back, and also an NB MX-5, an '81 RX7 GSL and a...
  8. GenX Retread

Windshield on '21 GTI is flawed...

My windshield isn't optically perfect across the width; about 6" from either edge there is a band of vertical ripples. To be completely honest, I've had the car a month and only noticed it yesterday, so it's not at all severe. At first I thought it was a funky effect of polarized lenses, but I...