GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. VQVW

The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

Oops, I forgot to check this thread for almost a year (haven't been on the forums much). Thanks very much for sharing this; it's really interesting! It makes sense and aligns with the observed behavior of no rev hang above ~3000 RPM. Would love to see any screenshots or videos you have. I have...
  2. VQVW

Speaking to nobody in particular here, just bumping up the discussion since it's been a quiet year :): Are you someone who does not notice any rev hang? Or maybe you think the RPM drop is slower than ideal but it's just because of the flywheel? The best way to compare and show that it's not due...
  3. VQVW

How to Retro-Fit Illuminated Overhead Console Panel

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800932766420.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.747ef19ck0RVHF&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US&fbclid=IwAR38Z4ZSCxt_KmJfHffvn93ltjguF5lxpL3e3zbHmtA_cUGbInJXZGaSEFE Front and rear available there. It sounds like the rear also works in a...
  4. VQVW

GTD manual 1st to 2nd.

1. Yes, it's the biggest ratio difference of all the shifts 2. 1-2 is the most common shift unless you count N-1, but shifting into 1st is almost always done at a stop so there is less wear. 3. Given the above, the second gear synchromesh gets the most abuse of any synchro in the transmission...
  5. VQVW

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

@GTI Jake you're using a Borla muffler in your system but you also suggested they weren't great quality. Good enough for a budget build? Or are there only certain Borla products that you'd recommend?
  6. VQVW

Supermoto's GTI Wrap Progress Log

Looks amazing. I really like what you did with the gloss black roof continuing to the inlay on the spoiler. So, how durable is wrap supposed to be? If it gets damaged, do you have to replace the whole section, or is there a way to patch it?
  7. VQVW

Haha, yeah. I've been driving a stick properly for 18 years so I'm good too. I understand all the parts of a manual drivetrain. I double clutch and rev match every downshift. I know what I'm doing. I encourage anyone in this thread--whether you think you have rev hang or not--to share a short...
  8. VQVW

Thanks, good to know! It doesn't appear they have tunes for the 1.8L EA888 but I'll send them an e-mail to ask.
  9. VQVW

Agreed, sometimes you just need time off. Get a couple of good nights' sleep and come back when you're fresh. Also, our brains are typically better at one side than the other, not only in handedness and fine motor skills but also visualization/spatial skills. So maybe the mirror image shape on...
  10. VQVW

It's pretty straightforward. Rev hang is so bad that, unless I accelerate quite fast and shift above 3000, I'm waiting 1-2 seconds for passive rev matching on the shift from 1st to 2nd. If I don't wait, I can force it into gear but the synchros aren't happy, and I have to slip the clutch to...
  11. VQVW

Gotcha. I revised my attempted explanation above to try to be clear. I think I'm risking overexplaining here, but what I'm saying is that (1) rev hang and (2) flywheel both affect shift time, and in my experience #1 is "the problem" that negatively impacts my driving experience and #2 doesn't...
  12. VQVW

#1 is the delay (hang), when RPM is basically constant. #2 is the speed the RPMs drop after the delay. Does that make sense?
  13. VQVW

Yeah, it's a little confusing. I'll try to explain it: so, rev hang is annoying because it increases the time it takes to shift smoothly. But the time it takes to shift is a factor of two separate things (in addition to obvious things like depressing the clutch pedal and moving the gear...
  14. VQVW

See post #1 in this thread. It has nothing to do with being tuned. Rev hang is unrelated to the clutch or the flywheel, and to our knowledge no tuners have removed rev hang on a Mk7. Revs are held high by the ECU for emissions reasons. If you don't notice it, that's great! Many people say they...
  15. VQVW

This is looking fantastic. And I haven't read the whole thread, but based on the first page and last page, it looks like a lot of learning and hard work and redoing parts, which is what I would expect. I am tempted to wrap my Alltrack but I would definitely pay an expert to do it. Kudos to you...
  16. VQVW

Just bumping this thread up because it's been almost a year. Still living with rev hang. Would be interested to hear any new experiences or thoughts. Happy shifting, all!
  17. VQVW

[HOW TO PATCH Component Protection] MIB2/MST2 Delphi HeadUnit (MST2_VW_xxxxxD) patch [FEC/SWAP/CID/CP]Android Auto,CarPlay and many more

Agreed. I think 879 probably is the most recent. From what I have read in a couple of threads, and based on the TSB, I think this might be the correct sequence for firmwares, or close: 0842, 0867, 0870, 0890 (0891 in EU), 0876, 0879. 867 might actually be newer than 0870, but that probably...
  18. VQVW

[HOW TO PATCH Component Protection] MIB2/MST2 Delphi HeadUnit (MST2_VW_xxxxxD) patch [FEC/SWAP/CID/CP]Android Auto,CarPlay and many more

Thanks! Come to think of it, I think I've had that volume bug on occasion. I have software 0842 and it seems I should be able to get the dealer to do this for free since my car is under warranty. I meet all the requirements of the TSB, although for some reason it doesn't mention Golf Alltrack...