GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. akimmel

What did you do to your mk7 today?

I appreciate the warning. I took great care the whole time to not let get the panel get hotter than was comfortable to the touch. I was trying to replicate letting it sit in the sun cause i'm impatient and have to do something about things as soon as I see them. I haven't noticed the mark...
  2. akimmel

I've had good luck with using heat to get rid of stuff like this. One day a few years back, after having just washed it the night before, i came out to a 2in' dia at least splat on the hood. Left a huge mark and I went crazy trying to hand polish and it wouldn't budge. Then later in the day...
  3. akimmel

Suction Pump Seal Recall

i'd rather buy the revised part once it's out and do it myself as needed, is this diy-able?
  4. akimmel

Cleaned out some mice evidence from between the plastic engine cover and pcv area, and on top of the transmission as well. Luckily nothing looked chewed, and no nesting material. Just eaten maple copters and a couple turds.
  5. akimmel

I made ones just like these that stop right at the same height as the side skirt! my thinking was they'd protect the fenders and rockers from rock chips with wider and stickier tires.
  6. akimmel

Noise from Gear stick

The foam will rip on its own eventually anyway, mine was pre ripped when I first took the boot off just before 30k miles. I sliced it out evenly with an exacto.
  7. akimmel

the stuff on #2 looks like just dried grease. I think mine had a little bit on each one when I changed them.
  8. akimmel

Today I replaced the busted drain tube for the hatch handle/ backup cam and managed to not absolutely mangle any of the plastics or the tint back there. I hate clips that are really only made to go together once. Who decided that visible screw heads were out of fashion? (I know it's actually...
  9. akimmel

Front suspension creak New Addition 7.5 2020 Estate/Station Wagon

Soak the forward and rearward front LCA bushings in some kind of silicone spray, like a liquid that will creep in. Jack it up or put it on ramps and just hose them down like 3 times. It should go away for a while.
  10. akimmel

Potential new to me GSW, smash or pass?

@Belthasar I have no way to check the turbo for shaft play unfortunately as it's being sold by a private seller on CL. This youtube video shows a very similar noise to the one I was hearing, although I was behind the wheel when I heard it and not in the engine bay...
  11. akimmel

Potential new to me GSW, smash or pass?

Hey folks, today I went and looked at a 2016 golf sportwagen from a private seller. I looked the car over and test drove it and it seemed clean and solid, however there was a noise like a single rock in blender inside the dash under boost higher up in the rev range. The owner agreed to let me...
  12. akimmel

Weird mark on brake disc

I'd use a dial indicator or even just a piece of wire to check that hub for runout. If the hub is bent slightly it can cause a speed dependent vibration and also a brake pedal pulse as the runout translates through the rotor into the caliper. Had this issue an a previous honda of mine, it got...
  13. akimmel

Some rust appearing in both of the rear wheel wells – what to do about it?

my 2015 has the same thing to some extent. I picked off the loose paint/chip guard (the stuff that makes the rough texture there) , hit it with some iron remover to get rid of the rust, and went over it with touchup paint then clear coat. I did a couple layers of each.
  14. akimmel

WTB Urano Grey Fuel door.

Maybe not the answer you want to hear but I had to replace mine and ended up just buying a new oem unpainted one and having a local shop paint it. I was worried if I ordered a used one that it would also show up with broken clips. A tip for reinstalling it, put dish soap on all the clips to...
  15. akimmel

How to fix paint chip on hatch

I second using a thioglycolate fallout remover/wheel cleaner to get the rust off of the surface first. I do the same thing on rock chips and it removes the need to sand at all, although that's on stuff that's the diameter of a toothpick so ymmv. I would also clean the area really well and look...
  16. akimmel

Roof Rack mounts/rivet removal

Cheapest and least impactful thing to do would be cut the threads off flat and give the feet a fresh coat of paint. Or drill out the rivets and put grommets in the holes. At least its a black car lol.
  17. akimmel

Set up the final payment for the remainder of my loan balance. I'm car payment free!
  18. akimmel

You need one of these bad boys to hold the line in place under that shield