GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. kevinkar

Dash Lights Really Bright At Startup

Also posted on VWVortex.... 2018 R, about 5 years old, no real problems so far. But, in the last 3 weeks I've gotten into the car in my dark garage and the dash and infotainment were really bright. A lot brighter than I had the brightness set to. So, on the way to work, I adjusted the scroll...
  2. kevinkar

Exhaust flap coding - Return to stock via OBD11?

For no particular reason I decided to code the flaps permanently open and it worked fine. They have been open for a while now and I have noticed no real change in sound or drone. I have confirmed they are open all the time (in non-race/sport modes a bore scope shows them both open all the...
  3. kevinkar

DSG Question - Slipping feeling at stop and go?

Just wondering if any DSG owners have experienced any odd "slipping" feeling when you come up to a stop sign, stop, move from brake to gas pedal and push..... Seems like the clutch is slipping and the car is not moving as expected but push a bit harder and it does seem to go. This is primarily...
  4. kevinkar

2018 R Muffler Weep Hole Soot

No biggie but was wondering what anyone thought about the drain hole in the R's muffler after 4 years and 16k miles starting to deposit soot on the bottom of the muffler. Indicative of a problem or par for the course? This is it AFTER cleaning it as I could see it from behind the car and it...
  5. kevinkar

Sunglasses Cubby Door Broken

Sunglasses cubby in the overhead compartment in my 2018 R broke. The right hand plastic pin broke off and that's that. It sort of works but basically falls out on the right side and the entire door just drops out. So it's useless now. Everything is made of plastic and little .12" diameter...
  6. kevinkar

2018 R Tire Pressure Monitor is Not as Effecitve as I'd Like

Preparing to take my car in to a body shop this week for the rear end collision it sustained last week and I washed it and checked the tire pressures (also due to the freaking potholes I hit in the SF Bay Area to check and make sure all the tires were ok) and I noticed ALL 4 tires were 5-7 lbs...
  7. kevinkar

Finally don't have to worry about where I park now!

So I had to take an emergency trip up to the SF Bay Area (sudden death in the family) and, while I was up there on the 101 north of the Golden Gate Bridge, one exit away from the one I was going to take, I got rear-ended by a driver who said she was "spaced out due to the traffic" which was odd...
  8. kevinkar

Headlights always go on when unlocking in the dark or no?

Was going to ask in the R forum but I believe this is more an electronics issue so here it is here: In the morning when I go into the dark garage and open the car by touching the handle, the car unlocks and USUALLY the headlights go on. They go off the requisite number of seconds later (coded...
  9. kevinkar

No bass one day, bass the next?

So yesterday I got in to my car (2018 R) to go to work and my media started playing off the SD card as usual. It sounded a bit harsh and I thought that was interesting. Next song played and, sure enough, pretty much all treble. I started messing with the fader and found very poor sound from...
  10. kevinkar

Does your album art blink?

Just wondering if anyone else's album art blinks randomly on their main unit's display. I get into my car at work, start it up and drive away. The media off the SD card starts playing immediately and the album art displays on the screen. But as I'm driving through the parking lot, the album...
  11. kevinkar

Playback pauses when volume set to 0

I was leaving work today when I heard something outside the car and I wanted to concentrate on what it was (ended up being a raccoon in the bushes) and I turned the volume down all the way temporarily. What I didn't know would happen was that the playback of the music off the SD card PAUSED...
  12. kevinkar

Engine rhythmic pulsing at idle

When my R is warmed up and I'm driving around I get to a stop light and sit patiently. Recently I've noticed the engine is pulsing rhythmically at a frequency of a bit less than 1 second. Just a quiet rrrrrRRrrrrrRRrrrrRR. Changing to Drive mode drops the RPMs to 800 or so with no pulse evident...
  13. kevinkar

Winter trip observations

Just took a trip from the Los Angeles area to the San Francisco area and had some random observations about the car, 2018 R, 7,100 miles on the ODO. Speedometer does not match 3 different GPS units and is LOW by about 3 MPH in the 70 MPH range. So I'm going faster than I think when cruise is...
  14. kevinkar

Just an observation about random play

I use an SD card for music, all FLAC files, which contain most everything I own. I set it up so that it follows the manual - there are fewer than 30,000 total songs and no folder contains more than 1,000 files/folders (don't recall the exact numbers but I think this is close to what the manual...
  15. kevinkar

DSG differences in manual vs. auto modes

After a year and a half I have switched from full Auto (in S mode) to driving around in Manual mode only. Figured I'd get really comfortable using the paddles even though it seems to shift quicker or slower depending on how much I'm pushing the gas pedal. Paddles are much more responsive and...
  16. kevinkar

'18 R Drops from S to D sporadically

Today I left home, went to the post office a mile away, parked, got the mail and got back in the car. Started, reversed out of the spot, dropped it into D and double pushed into S as usual. Drove out of the parking lot, turned onto the street, gave it a little gas and the car immediately...
  17. kevinkar

Odd entertainment unit fizzle

I was driving home the other day and came to a stop light. As I waited for the light to change, I was flipping through the XM stations and all of a sudden I heard a very slight "zzzzip!" and the sound went out. I continued changing the stations but no sound. I changed to FM and then AM but...
  18. kevinkar

New gremlins - door locks, lane assist, etc.?

A couple days ago I was leaving for work and walked into the garage to get into the car which locks automatically so it should be locked. I placed my hand behind the handle and heard the unlock sound and pulled. Nothing. Apparently it locked. Placed my hand in again and it unlocked so I got...
  19. kevinkar

Random thoughts on first long trip

I went from Los Angeles to San Francisco this past week for the first long trip in the R and have some random observations about the trip. Trip up - Fill up 1 - 325 miles, 28.4MPG, 71MPH. Trip back - Fill up 1 - 352 miles, 29.6MPG, 61MPH Upon return - Fill up 2 - 203 miles, 30.4MPG, 64MPH...
  20. kevinkar

1,800 mile oil change

I have had my 2018 R for five and a half months and driven it 1,800 miles. It was made in August of 2017 and apparently sat somewhere for 7 months. Just like everyone else who got their R a year ago, I got the oil change message but cleared it a couple weeks ago. I finally got all the parts...