GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. D

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

I also got Koni Special Active shocks and struts. Was very pleased with them (under the older FSD branding) on my E46 BMW a few years ago, and these were on a good sale. But, while the outer box from FCP Euro looked fine, the inner boxes for the struts were really beaten-up and taped over...
  2. D

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Did this earlier in the week too. Mine had looked like your "before" for at least a year or two - no water ingress that I'm aware of, but I'm glad it's as it should be now.
  3. D

Does that one actually fit the GTI fob with the larger chrome loop? I got some a few years ago that seen to be designed for the smaller Golf version and don't fit the GTI fob properly.
  4. D

40k mile service on my 2017: oil and filter change, transmission and VAQ diff fluid changes, new air filter and new NGK Ruthenium spark plugs. Also hand washed it for the first time in months, hand polished a few problem areas and put on a fresh coat of spray "ceramic" wax. Obligatory pic of...
  5. D

Not a complete break like that, but my switch for the left rear window did have the chrome foil flake up a couple of months ago, nearly cutting my finger. A few minutes with a utility knife and a small file, and the foil is gone, or smoothed enough to not be a problem. The difference from the...
  6. D

@bobloblawGTI How are the 225 DWS06 tires on the factory 7.5" wheels in terms of actual width? Wider overall than the original tires? The factory 225/40 Hankooks cause the wheel face to stick out farther than the tire, and I'd like a little extra curb protection (for when other family members...
  7. D

Hill Assist

I don't recall ever stalling on account of hill assist, but it was noticeable to me. What bugged me was the slight hesitation when starting on a steeper incline and the inability to drift backward immediately (to make more room for another car pulling into a drive as I'm exiting, or to coast out...
  8. D

On Aug. 23, 2017, I took delivery of my 2017 GTI Sport with 202 miles on the odometer. It had picked up those 202 miles as a trade from a dealer near Pittsburgh to the dealer near Cleveland where I bought it. It's my first (and to date only) new car purchase. Exactly five years later, the car...
  9. D

Today I was thankful I haven't lowered it. Neighborhood street resurfacing project. Hard to tell in the pic without a banana for scale, but that's a 2"+ lip on the curb. And based on similar city projects around, it'll be this way for the next 2-3 months. Hopefully not coming soon... a "what...
  10. D

Hill Assist

Thank you! I've been wishing I could turn that thing off for the past five years but didn't think it was possible.
  11. D

Where Does The Garage Door Clicker Go?

I removed the clip from the back of the remote and applied the hook side of Velcro tape. It sticks securely to the carpet at the front of the door pocket.
  12. D

Shaved my cargo mat, as you do. Five years of using the Velcro "CarGo" blocks had rendered the mat a shaggy mess, and I had an old trimmer. It did a great job - much neater, and the blocks still stick securely. Also swapped the rear hatch sill trim for the version with the cutout so I can...
  13. D

At Home Depot curbside pickup a couple of years ago, I discovered there WAS no "hatchback" option in the app under car type. Van, truck, sedan, SUV, crossover. Might even have had motorcycle in there. But no hatch. Nor wagon, IIRC.
  14. D

Am I doing this right?
  15. D

And the winner of excessively large packaging for February 2022 is... That's the entire order: hatch sill trim with the spare tire cutout, an oil filler funnel, and two door latch buffers for my old BMW (little plastic corn kernels). Shipped in a box that's 5 feet long and two feet tall, with...
  16. D

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

I'd think the bigger issue (unless you're adding spacers) isn't so much lug bolt length as the seat. Most wheels should be very similar in thickness between the hub and the bolt mating surface. But on many aftermarket wheels, the bolt mating surface is a conical section; on stock VW wheels, it's...
  17. D

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

I don't think you're crazy. I appreciate it in a form-follows-function sort of way - one of the things I've always liked about hatchbacks. I've even wished I had a rear wiper on some sedans I owned (especially before the backup camera era). But I'm sure that has a lot to do with where I've...
  18. D

Any MK7 w/exposed door lock cylinder?

Pry out gently while pulling out on the handle, since the forward edge of the cover sits under the handle. Then watch the cover fly off and land face-down on the concrete. I found a Škoda cover that matches our handles except with a keyhole. Unfortunately, after it arrived from Latvia I...
  19. D

Washed it... ....for the first time since July. I feel like this should go in the "confessions" thread. I also did some spot polishing and got on a fresh coat of spray "hybrid ceramic" coating, so that made me feel somewhat absolved for my negligence.
  20. D

Front plate mount but in middle, NOT tow hook

Here's my solution (not original to me, but it worked well until Ohio dropped the front plate requirement last year). Post in thread 'Front license plate bracket' https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-license-plate-bracket.380055/post-7540029