GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. J

Extremely annoying non-dimming border around auto-dimming interior rear view mirror

Yeah, I understand. I upgraded to the frameless style and never noticed, but it probably has a 1/4" edge that doesn't dim. It looks a lot better than your stock mirror IMO. The HomeLink and Compass are built into the mirror so they would be bonus features. Win-win. Make sure you confirm...
  2. J

Extremely annoying non-dimming border around auto-dimming interior rear view mirror

One of these frameless auto-dimming ones should fit? Check with supplier: https://www.shopdap.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Auto+dimming+mirror
  3. J

My knee pops with clutch pedals. Anyone else?

It's a myth that running is bad for your knees. Yes, you can get an acute injury, or tendonitis with bad form, but in terms of osteoarthritis running has been shown to be beneficial. Collagen is made by the body, it isn't able to be absorbed by the body, so taking collagen supplements doesn't...
  4. J

Leaking roof (hatch)

Check your sunroof drains?
  5. J

KESSY - Lock from trunk - unlock doors from trunk

I got caught with this. My car isn't coded to lock all doors on hatch closure (it's stock coded), but if the car is in a locked state and you open the hatch, when you close the hatch it will auto-lock the hatch again. If your keys are in the hatch, you are screwed. Only way back in is with a...
  6. J

Air compressor recommendation.

We have a California Air Tools Ultra Quiet (bought at Amazon) here at work (upholstery shop) and have been really happy with it. Not very expensive, and they are pretty quiet - which is great for using it in the same room you are working in - would be great for a garage.
  7. J

Backup camera

FWIW, mine does this too occasionally, temperature doesn't affect it. Will go months without it happening, then it'll happen 1 in 3 times, then go away for a while. Sometimes it *seems* like playing with the contrast level corrects the problem for a while but that could be placebo. Would...
  8. J

Dealer Scam?

Don't the service depts work on commission? That' a terrible business model for the client. My wife dropped of her car for a warranty audio repair. Service called and said "while it's ON THE LIFT and ALL TAKEN APART" they should replace the engine air filter and cabin air filter for $200...
  9. J

Air coming out of vents stink

I've had decent results using Ozium spray. Fog the hell out of the car, run A/C, on recirculate, max fan, for a 10 minutes or so.
  10. J

Geico estimate on a totaled GSW TDI SE 6sp manual

If you really feel their offer isn't fair, keep hammering away at them, be patient and persistent. I had a rare car totaled and went thru the same "local comps" thing, trouble was there were only 4-5 comps nationally. It took almost 3 months to get it resolved as I wanted. I had to escalate...
  11. J

Geico estimate on a totaled GSW TDI SE 6sp manual

Find comps from *dealers* as close to you geographically as possible - cherry-pick the highest value ones, but they must be similar spec/mileage. Send those to the appraiser. If you have receipts for the add-on items send them as well to the appraiser. Alternately, if the car is at a local...
  12. J

Need Help Please!

FWIW, I had the same issue due to the oil cap not fitting tightly. For me, it wasn't the cap itself, it was that one of the tabs that the oil cap screws into broke. Had to replace the whole timing cover - was a TOTAL PITA to replace but I managed it.
  13. J

Parting out 2017 GTI Stage 2?

Is it insured? If so, ask your insurer what the buyback price would be. Sometimes it's pretty low and you can recoup that amount plus a bit selling only the best/easiest parts. Then scrap the rest.
  14. J

Locked out - KESSY

I didn't think it was possible, but I locked my keys in the car yesterday - with the keyless system. I was at a bike race and the car was in a locked state, but I could open/close the hatch to get gear as needed - the hatch automatically unlocked when you went to open it. I stripped down a bit...
  15. J

What to do About My 2017 SE GTI Sunroof? - Very Minor Leak

FWIW, I was able to reach the driver's side drain with a long screwdriver and clear the end without having to remove the wiper assembly.
  16. J

Check your sunroof drains

Thanks for the tips on the rear drains. To remove the wiper arms I "gave it a wiggle" per this video:
  17. J

Under the cowl - the cover under the wipers. You have to remove the wiper arms and the cowl. It's takes 5 minutes to do. Passenger side tube end is easy to access. The driver side end is tucked back pretty far and I had to use a long screwdriver to poke at the end to clear it - was too...
  18. J

Had a surprise Saturday morning after heavy rain - water dripping into the car from behind the overhead lights. Checked and both front sunroof drains were completely clogged. I tried to fish string-trimmer cord through them but that didn't clear the jams, so I had to access the drains ends...
  19. J

Prices back down to earth

I get offers from my dealer to buy my car and the price went from $19K to $17K in the last 3 weeks.
  20. J

Bicycle Mounting Options

FWIW, I take 2 cyclocross bikes to races and put both inside the GTI with a blanket between. Plenty of room for lots of other gear too. I guess popping off the wheels and arranging inside isn't the coolest look, but you never have to worry about height or ground clearances, it's free, and no...