1. Sparky589

Norcal FS/FT/WTB Thread

Bumping, price drop to $400 and OBO.
  2. Sparky589

FS: OEM TSI 1.8T Downpipe

Bump - Price drop to $400 OBO.
  3. Sparky589

2025 Gti

I have a sneaking suspicion that if that 20hp makes it stateside it'll just because they tune it to run on 91 and not 87.
  4. Sparky589

Norcal FS/FT/WTB Thread

FS: TSI 1.8T OEM DP Got my original downpipe off my 2016 TSI. Should mount up on any FWD Mk7, though don't quote me on fitment with stock GTI cat back. Due to size I'm not interested in shipping, but happy to meet up anywhere in the greater Bay Area. Asking $450
  5. Sparky589

FS: OEM TSI 1.8T Downpipe

Got my original downpipe off my 2016 TSI. Should mount up on any FWD Mk7, though don't quote me on fitment with stock GTI catback. Due to size I'm not interested in shipping, but happy to meet up anywhere in the greater Bay Area. Asking $450
  6. Sparky589

WTB: OEM downpipe

I've got an OEM downpipe off a 2016 1.8 TSI - shoot me a DM if interested. As a heads up we'll need to do shipping since I'm out of the bay area.
  7. Sparky589

Increase in Prices

Well credit where's due to VW, Mk8 R's are actually coming in slightly under the rate of inflation.
  8. Sparky589

2024 R

Owning a Mk8 and having sat in a A3 (not a S3 to be fair) the screens in terms of resolution and colors are completely indistinguishable in person. This comparison is really just some unflattering interior lighting on the GTI picture. They only thing to back me up here is my ass, but for the...
  9. Sparky589

2024 R

Unlikely that Mk8.5 will introduce anything other than physical buttons back to the steering wheel. We're probably going to see a center stack similar if not entirely identical to the new passat/tiguan:
  10. Sparky589

Downpipes for Golf MK7

Personal experience having several exhaust setups, AWE track with a stock DP was the best sounding of anything that I ran on the Mk7. OP's driving a 2016, it's not worth it in my opinion to run a DP since he'll have to smog in 2024.
  11. Sparky589

Downpipes for Golf MK7

What's the goal here, do you just want more sound? If so a catback exhaust will get you there without creating any headaches that come with passing smog. Want more power? The time and money is better spent on a Is20, it's more installed but dollar for dollar you'll get far more out of it than...
  12. Sparky589

IS38 concerns with 5MT

I was driving behind @MeltedSolid Is20 5-spd TSI when the transmission blew. You're just not safe on anything more than a IS12 with the 5-spd. Go with what Jake said, buy once - cry once. You'll be dropping the transmission for a clutch job anyways.
  13. Sparky589

Golf R specifics

As much as it sucked waking up to my Golf being goomba-stomped by a tree, by god did having insurance actually cover the mods put one hell of a silver lining on it. Paid through the nose for that Chubb policy, but it really did pay for itself when push came to shove.
  14. Sparky589

Golf R specifics

Honestly its been very nice stepping back into a stock car. Y'all can see from my signature how far I went down the rabbit hole with my Mk7 - there's really something to be said for a decently compliant ride, calm idle, or no boomy exhaust at 85+mph bombing down the freeway. Like I'm still doing...
  15. Sparky589

Mk8 Golf - Here It Is. Kinda, Maybe.

Yeah I saw the activation services being offered, might do it one day but $500 for remote activation is steep enough to give me pause especially since I don't do a lot of night driving as is. At least for me I drive without the lane center assist disabled at all times unless on a long freeway...
  16. Sparky589

Hmm interesting, from personal experience that hasn't played out for me. On longer drives at least I tend to rest my hand on the 6 o'clock position, so maybe the sensors are located at the 3 and 9 positions. I've absolutely made the conscious effort to hold the wheel firmly while making no...
  17. Sparky589

Mk8 owner, find the Travel Assist to work remarkably well and had a good chance to really put it to the test going down to Monterey from the Bay Area. Doesn't ping-pong you between the line of the lane, can confidently handle a windy road, and is a genuinely nice way to reduce fatigue on longer...
  18. Sparky589

Problems with the MK8 are the Same as the MK7

After insurance officially totaled the car, I simply brought up the fact that I had mods and asked if they would be covered. Rep cleared it with her manager, I supplied an itemized list of everything I'd put on the car, and they covered it all removing 10% of value per-year of ownership. Not too...
  19. Sparky589

Problems with the MK8 are the Same as the MK7

Everything was covered, including (shockingly) my mods. Which is how I managed to walk away with more from the insurance payout than what the car cost me when new. Shoutout to Chubb at least, never claimed any of my mods and they didn't hesitate to cover them. Of course the most important part...