GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. N

VWR springs ruined my stock shocks... what to choose from here?

Ok, one more update. For posterity or anyone in my situation in the future (VWR kit). I trimmed the bump stops more!!!! Yes, I have gone nuts. After reading @DerHase metrics and re-reading this thread and others, and still feeling like my rear suspension was overly harsh, I decided to match...
  2. N

Yeah I've trimmed the rears on the car, super easy. Wasn't sure if the springs / dust boots would make it too hard to do the fronts, but it's been a bit since I've jacked the car up since it's winter. I believe that. I'm certainly not an expert and I've never driven any of those. I believe...
  3. N

Interesting. Thanks, I was not aware of that. It makes sense considering when it happens. I'll look into the rubber covers.
  4. N

Touching... each other? :ROFLMAO: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying when the spring is very compressed the coils are rubbing together potentially? The noise is pretty jarring and only lasts for .5- 1 second just at peak compression, and like I mentioned only on a big dip, and...
  5. N

I trimmed them in a weird way (1/8" off the top of the fronts, and 1/4" off the top of the rears plus ~20mm off the bottom of the rears). So in mm, about 3-4mm off the fronts, and ~26mm off the rears total. After driving on them like this for awhile, I still have complaints. I still think the...
  6. N

Post your Watch and GTI Pics!

They did not polish it. The service form leaves very little space for notes, so I attached a 1 page handwritten letter haha. I asked they didn't polish (because aside from almost invisible hairlines, there was nothing major). I can tell it was left alone. I removed the bracelet and only sent in...
  7. N

Looks great! Got mine back a few days ago. Everything is operating as expected. I pressed them on what was done to fix, but they wouldn't tell me beyond "check movement", so I guess it will remain a mystery. About 5 weeks away and $0 out of warranty... can't complain. Hopefully it stays working!
  8. N

Thanks! Love the original BB 41's too!
  9. N

So far so good. The process is not very illuminating. They put on my estimate (which was emailed to me two days after the watch made it to the service center): Customer requests Double Jump, Hour Hand Loses An Hour Overnight, Date Wheel Issue Necessary works Check Movement. Invoice Price...
  10. N

The day has finally come. I sent my BB GMT in to service to get the date issues fixed. I included a letter pleading my case to see if they will fix it for free (I've heard of this happening). It was nerve-wracking handing the box over and declaring the insurance value to USPS. I'll be able to...
  11. N

Official Carbon Steel Metallic GTI / Golf Thread

Ha, it's all about them angles! :ROFLMAO: and thanks. The only time I don't love them is in profile, but I think that's the car's weakest angle anyways.
  12. N

@tigeo thank you for taking the time to write a detailed answer! Totally fair. And I am not expecting "stock". But... I had been on these springs with the stock shocks for quite awhile, so that's what I'm comparing it to. VWR springs + stock shocks vs. VWR springs + the new VWR shocks. With...
  13. N

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I have a few questions and hoping you guys can help clarify. I'm still feeling like the rears in particular are overly harsh. More than they were with the stock dampers with the same springs. I only trimmed a tiny bit from the rear bump stops (1/4") and the...
  14. N

As I'm sure you read in the thread... too late on the bump stops. Although I'm not convinced trimming them the small amount I did actually made any difference. What? I just finished the install and there's no way in hell I would be throwing away that time and money to completely swap out the...
  15. N

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

I'm using a Rockler Dust Right separator bin with a shop vac. It works well, good capacity, but kind of large and bulky. Oneida Dust Deputy seems to be a favorite amongst the internet. My Rockler lid cracked after a few years, I might be looking at the new Oneida 2.5 cyclone as a replacement...
  16. N

Garages of golfmk7.com: picture thread

Nice looking cabinets and space, I love the look of birch ply. And sweet jointer! Seems like you would be a good candidate for a gallery thread on Garage Journal. Just sayin' 😁 I also have a DeWalt jobsite saw as my table saw due to confined space... two great improvements I would suggest: Seal...
  17. N

Ok, I finally got everything installed. Man what a PITA for a first-timer. I ended up trimming the bump stops per @SouthFL_Mk7.5 , 1/8" front and 1/4" rear. Roughly. The razor blade didn't do the cleanest job. Didn't want to take the rears off that I had already installed, but was able to...
  18. N

Spring & Shock/Damper Installation Reference Guide

I won't lie, it was a bit of a struggle for a first-timer, but finally got my VWR sport dampers installed. Thanks to this invaluable thread!