GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. ElectricEye

Traded in my GTI because it needed a turbo replacement

Half a year of limited driving range, constant uncertainty, and frequent tows. That's no way to live. I was really trying to keep that car.
  2. ElectricEye

No mistake. Thousands of dollars, and a car I couldn't depend on to go any distance in particularly at night, in the cold, or with my wife. I don't need a nod from cool kids. Truth is, on every road I drove the GTI on, the Mazda is better. The only thing I can't do is take some entrance and exit...
  3. ElectricEye

It was a 2015 with 75,000 miles on what I'd call mixed. Even on short trips, I'd go the long way to bring the oil up to operating temp. The three most recent repairs that failed one after each other since September were: Water Pump. Radiator Hose. Oil Temperature Sensor. Along with those, and...
  4. ElectricEye

I I like it very much. In a lot of ways it still reminds me of the GTI in that it's overall length isn't much bigger, controls are physical - there was no learning curve. At normal speeds it's still fun to whip around and very maneuverable in tight spots. Firm ride (not harsh especially vs the...
  5. ElectricEye

That's true. I wish I had places to go off roading like you do. There are a couple of parks with gravel or dirt roads leading into them that I avoided going to because of the GTI, that I will now go to with the Mazda. But it's not off roading.
  6. ElectricEye

A CHEVY turbo 4, that might be a risk. The new Colorado is nice though. I'm with you though, in that I just sold my GTI because the repairs became too numerous and expensive. I decided to ditch turbos entirely and went with a normally aspirated Mazda CX-5.
  7. ElectricEye

GOLF waterpump leaks problem for YEARS ---why not solved

The water pump failure was just one link in the very expensive chain that removed much of the confidence I had in the car over the past few months.
  8. ElectricEye

GOLF waterpump leaks problem for YEARS ---why not solved

It's a damned shame, and just recently lead me to get rid of the GTI I loved so much.
  9. ElectricEye

Goodbye, and thanks for the years!

The only time I missed it was when I saw those pics. It's like breaking up with a hot crazy girl, then seeing some pictures and you yearn for it but have to remember how nuts she was. They posted the trim incorrectly. It's an SE. It doesn't have the Performance Pack though. This is a very early...
  10. ElectricEye

Yeah, it sucks that I had to do it. You can view the car on the Schwartz Mazda of Shrewsbury NJ. It's a thing of beauty.
  11. ElectricEye

I went with a CX-5 over the 50. Back in September the GTI experienced a series hard stumbling issues that felt like I was hitting expansion joints where there weren't any. Eventually it had to be towed (took it to the dealer for this one) who replaced the plugs. This seemed to have helped for a...
  12. ElectricEye

Thank you! It's an S Preferred Trim, which is the trim level that brings in a sunroof (which I wanted) among other things. The more I'm driving it, the more I'm liking it and am happy with the admittedly forced decision. I just came back from getting the front windows tinted to match the factory...
  13. ElectricEye

Thank you. I had 75,500 miles on the GTI. The GTI was essentially immaculate. A shame about the litany of expensive recent issues.
  14. ElectricEye

I've got to say, it's kind of nice having some of the newer safety features. Really nice having Apple Car Play! I liked using CD's, but hooked up car play and... My songs! My bands! My albums!
  15. ElectricEye

Oh, I fixed the GTI before trading it in. I literally drove it from the repair shop - JA Autowerks in Red Bank NJ, to Shwartz Mazda which is located right around the corner. I really wanted to hang on to the GTI another year and a half or so, but had very little confidence I wasn't going to go...
  16. ElectricEye

It's pretty amazing how little adjustment I needed to make from the GTI to the Mazda. The controls are in similar places, nice steering wheel and steering feel, overall length isn't much different.
  17. ElectricEye

The SUV jump was due to a couple of things I wouldn't do with the GTI. There are a couple of parks I go to that have dirt or gravel roads into them. Well maintained, and the GTI was capable of going down them - but really slowly and carefully. To the point that I avoided going to these outdoor...
  18. ElectricEye

Thank you all so much for all the great years, and great help on this forum! I believe I first joined back in 2012 with my MK6 on the MK6 forum. I had been planning to keep my GTI for another year and a half or so, but after needing its third tow since September, and yet another costly repair -...
  19. ElectricEye

Anyone trade their mk7 for something more comfortable?

These sound really cool, and sound like they'd be the thing to reduce those short harsh impacts. If I was planning to hold onto my car longer than I am, I might give these a go.