GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. DerHase

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

I have only put hands on the MK8 GTI/R PCV (495B), and heard of the 495F (Tiguan 3B engine IIRC). The valves look wildly different on top, and anything focused on the B cycle IMO is probably not what we want. Both versions breath only on the block passage, not a fundamental difference in...
  2. DerHase

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

Does this look correct? I'm not as familiar with/sure of the 15-17 golf R original PCV numbers. also have a much smaller sample size of them. The 15-16 GTI in particular is circled because that is the car that seems to still have issues w/ the MK8 PCV even in full retrofit form (but strangely...
  3. DerHase

ARM Bicooler VS FMIC IS20

FMICs are inherently less efficient (from a heat removal standpoint). Removing heat quickly/efficiently is all about temperature differential. (Turbo outlet air temp vs ambient air temp) SMICs have huge frontal surface area so the temp differential is at its highest on the driver side across...
  4. DerHase

Nine81's Silver Wiener Build

Download TunerPro. Download whatever appropriate .bin that is compatible with your boxcode from the repository. Download whatever appropriate .xdf is compatible with your .bin (S50, A05 are the two most common, probably S50 for 15-18, A05 for 19+ GTI) Fuck around on TunerPro to get...
  5. DerHase

Heat problems on track: TECH. Read before adding an oil cooler!

Simos Tools. https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/diy-data/st-getting-started https://www.datadrivenmqb.com/diy-data/stcustomization Sparkfun is out of stock of the A0, but you can buy an SL1 dongle from @Switchleg .
  6. DerHase

Audi TT (8S) Control Arms

The aftermarket also lists the arms as compatible with Tiguans and Q3s. I’ve not PERSONALLY measured a Tiguan arm, but I have asked a couple individuals to take measurements and both came back with nearly a 30mm difference (per side). Going out about 15mm seems to be about the limit of the...
  7. DerHase

Cut open an old MK8 valve for science. Definitely will be possible to modify it more effectively to pull vacuum on the valve cover instead of strictly the blowby passage. Also have an IS38 going on to be track tested with the MK8 valve at NCCAR next weekend. Just gotta do the turbo swap...
  8. DerHase

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Yeah that's a pretty aggressive fitment for not adding any camber. I rubbed on 17x9 ET43 with 245/40R17 (which are a bit shorter than stock) without the fender screw mod, and that was at stock ride height. Granted your 235s are for sure narrower than my 245 RT660s (which are more like a...
  9. DerHase

Yeah that accomplishes the same thing. Perhaps your old LCAs were installed at some point with a ton of preload on them (torqued with the wheels drooping out)? What are your wheel specs? And no added camber I take it?
  10. DerHase

The LCA bolts do not set ride height or anything like that. That's strictly determined by shock/spring. If you torqued one side (front location) with the car jacked up and the other side not, that might preload the bushing and cause that, but it's not meant to be an adjustment of any kind. (If...
  11. DerHase

That's basically the gist of it. For track use, it appears limiting overall PCV source vacuum a bit (BMS instead of OEM TIP) helps stabilize the diaphragm, but for daily use I don't think anyone would ever have an issue. I went over all the data/got videos of the diaphragm opening and closing...
  12. DerHase

Perfect. That's actually better than I was expecting. That's basically better than the IS20 was with a more restrictive TIP (stock, APR, or Unitronic). I'm guessing that the bigger intake you have helps a lot to offset the additional airflow the hybrid makes. Also I've got a few other things...
  13. DerHase

Audi aluminum subframe on Mk7 Gti

As @scrllock said, EVERYTHING you touch is TTY. Get the 4 sway bar bracket bolts. Get a couple sway bar end links nuts (however I reuse the shit out of those with no issues), and you'll need the two steering rack bolts. And the (6) nuts for LCA to ball joint. And all the dog bone mount bolts...
  14. DerHase

Oil Cooler mounting locations w/ FMIC

I don't know about any specifics to the MK6, but as far as the MK7 is concerned: No. Coolant is fine at < 240F. Oil goes to 270F regularly. If you have a FMIC that's likely a big source of problems. Generally speaking they're terrible for sustained lapping. Less frontal surface area +...
  15. DerHase

That's awesome news! What's the full equation? It looks like the is an xx instead of an x* to me. Since you have your raw SAI voltage reading, you can assign it to something like "saivolts", and then assign Ambient Pressure to "amb_press" (I think this is the default? Then for the PCV...
  16. DerHase

Post in thread 'DerHase's 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition: HPDE shenanigans' https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/derhases-2019-gti-rabbit-edition-hpde-shenanigans.401435/post-7916493 This in a nutshell.
  17. DerHase

Rattle after PCV valve replacement

Depends on what the noise actually is 😅 I'd try to figure out where it's coming from. Make sure you didn't leave any tools or anything laying around, stuff is routed correctly, etc. Did you lose a rubber tit off your engine cover? Those will rattle like a SOB. See if it has the noise with...
  18. DerHase

Out of sheer curiosity: Does the car see track time at all? If not, it'll add more weight, more potential points of failure, and potentially make things worse depending on how it's implemented. My car sees 260-270F oil for 15-20 min at a time on track, roughly 25 days on track in the past year...
  19. DerHase

Rattle after PCV valve replacement

There's nothing in the PCV system that I would imagine is even capable of making a rattle noise like that. I know my wastegate rattles some at idle, more noticeable on a cold start. I estimate there's about a <1% chance whatever that is is PCV related.