GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. tarheelbob

What did you do to your mk7 today?

Nothing big, but an engine full of fresh LiquiMoly 5w40 full synthetic oil, new Mann filter, and a new oil plug. The car is happy. - Bob
  2. tarheelbob

Sourcing rear brake caliper carriers?

Different housing, different brake inlet port location, different parking brake design and mounting, and who knows what the proper anchor/carrier looks like. The anchor would tell the tale. If its a new design, it likely won't mount properly to your knuckle. Trying to use the original anchor...
  3. tarheelbob

Why is the German aftermarket community/support so strong?

What others have said is certainly true, but online support of many vehicles is crazy high. The Japanese performance/tuner market has HUGE global support. Look up any American pickup (or Mustang, or muscle car, etc.), for anything performance or mod related. It's crazy how much content is out...
  4. tarheelbob

High Pitch Noise 2019 GTI SE Manual

Just to be clear, @cagti suggested that the sound was the Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC) struts making the noise, and that the lack of soundaktor (quieter) may be the reason you are able to hear it. He did not indicate anything may be wrong with the soundaktor. - Bob
  5. tarheelbob

I've done that before.... - Bob
  6. tarheelbob

ECS shifter mounting bracket bushing upgrade ECS shifter cable bushing upgrade kit Dieselgeek shifter shaft bushing kit Now, THAT'S more like it! - Bob P.S. - And while removing the battery and tray is "optional" for the mounting bracket bushings, it definitely would have made things easier...
  7. tarheelbob

Improve ride quality — softer sidewalls or smaller wheels?

For MK7.5 GTI, the sidewall heights (thickness) for the mentioned sizes: stock 225/40 R18 = 90mm 235/45 R17 17x8.5 = 106mm 245/40 R17 = 98mm 245/40 R18 = 98mm
  8. tarheelbob

Improve ride quality — softer sidewalls or smaller wheels?

Went with the Apex 17x8.5 ET43 and love them. The Continental summer performance Extreme Contact Sport in 235/45 R17 are a great match. Grippy as heck, but comfortable ride and very quiet for performance tires. Here's some pics:
  9. tarheelbob

Premature OE battery failure? 2018 Golf R

My daughter's 2017 Elantra just needed a new battery after 4-1/2 years. Not so bad for cars nowadays with middle of the road OEM batteries and lots of electronics running in the background. OTOH, I just replaced my 2011 F150's battery after ten years and 137,000 miles, well, just because, and it...
  10. tarheelbob

What's my 2018 GTI SE 6MT PP w/ 24K miles worth?

Yep. As jimlloyd said, great time to sell. Used car prices now routinely exceeding the new car prices because there is just no (zero, zilch, nada) inventory. Demand is high, but no cars available. Every car OEM globally is shutting down plants left and right due to no chips to build cars. Peruse...
  11. tarheelbob

What's my 2018 GTI SE 6MT PP w/ 24K miles worth?

Lots of them in the $26k - $30k range with low miles. CarGurus considers this a "Good Deal"
  12. tarheelbob

If you were buying again DSG or MT

I'm with @El-bigote_AJ. I bought my '21 GTI with the 6-MT because I wanted the personal and engaging driving experience of a manual car, and to get a nice one before they are gone from the market. It was a personal and nostalgic choice, and I love it. BUT, if I were to get one with more of an...
  13. tarheelbob

► Official APEX VW SM-10 Flow Formed Wheel Thread

Ok, got some good pics today, myself. 17x8.5 ET43 in Anthracite, with four new 235/45 R17 Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires.
  14. tarheelbob

As a mechanical engineer, AND a proud new owner of these Apex wheels, I am enjoying this thread far more than I should admit..... - Bob
  15. tarheelbob

Some quick and dirty parking lot pics when picking it up from the installation. 2021 GTI Dark Iron Blue with 17x8.5 wheels and sticky Continental Extreme Contact Sport 235/45 R17.
  16. tarheelbob

Mine are here! Install set for Friday! - Bob
  17. tarheelbob

This is exactly the one I received, and I have the same question. I've asked Apex for clarification and tracking info. As I read it, it clearly states that my wheels have shipped out. Am I missing something? - Bob
  18. tarheelbob

Hissing noise when pressing accelerator?

Yes, it's normal. On my 2021 GTI, I tend to notice it more when I have the windows down, for some reason. But, yes, I hear the same thing under similar conditions as you mentioned.
  19. tarheelbob

What did you get in the mail or bring home for your MKVII today?

034 rear sway bar Neuspeed Power Module Triple square bit socket set...
  20. tarheelbob

2021 GTI S Question

@JBW56 , I just went out and checked my 2021 GTI S. It is a Dark Iron Blue color. The wheel well area has no liner, but the area is painted body color. BUT, as another poster mentioned, it appears very "flat" in color as it does not have any clearcoat. If your car was gray, for example, the...