GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

Search results

1. southpawboston

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

Regardless of its weight, It's more than just a dead weight. It is suspended by soft elastomeric bushings (bushes), so those play a role in the damping, as opposed to just increasing the solid mass of the resonant axle.
  2. southpawboston

Spare wheel bay very damp and mold on rear seat + seatbelts

Lots of people have mentioned here about leaks from the positive pressure vents located behind the bumper skin on the left and right sides, especially if there's been rear end collision damage and the vents don't seat perfectly. Other sources of leaks can be the rear hatch hinges, the 3rd brake...
  3. southpawboston

VCDS change to CarPlay start up

I kinda hate to admit, but Carplay has become my default screen as well. It just keeps getting better with every update. I keep it on multi-app display mode so I can have nav and music on the same screen. F'in brilliant. I honestly don't understand why cars are even being sold with nav anymore...
  4. southpawboston

FS: OEM 6.5" MIB-II display, 3G0919605H

They do have sales but I paid full price when I got mine 1.5 years ago, more than their regular price today. It was a bitter pill to swallow but I have no regrets with the larger screen. I usually have maps running so I really enjoy the extra screen area.
  5. southpawboston

No, I replaced with the same style 8" version.
  6. southpawboston

still for sale...
  7. southpawboston

VW Golf MK7 Estate, GT spec, Tungsten Silver, 1.4TSI

How much salt do they use in Scotland? I didn't think it snows too often but do you get a lot of freezing rain? It seems that in the "rust belt" of the US the municipalities are addicted to it and apply more and more of it every year. They even spread it before a predicted snow storm and in the...
  8. southpawboston

What's all the hype about LED lighting?

Our town has replaced all the street lights with higher K LEDs which I'm not happy about either, but on the plus side they are very directional and barely scatter. I find my front yard (garden) is much darker now with the new LEDs. But the sidewalks (pavements) underneath the lamps are very...
  9. southpawboston

What's all the hype about LED lighting?

This is exactly the debate in long-distance endurance cycling where you ride throughout day and night. One camp insists on bright headlights that scatter light everywhere and the other camp insists on more dim, downcast light that projects a uniform beam on the road in front of you. The latter...
  10. southpawboston

Water leak in passenger footwell

The connectors have secondary locks on them. Notice the purple bits. They usually slide in one dimension to provide a secondary lock to the connector. Like when you close your house door and then secondarily lock the deadbolt, lol. Typically you press on them and they click to the unlocked...
  11. southpawboston

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Guys, I think it's important to recognize different motors here... it's perfectly normal for the US/Canadian market 1.8TSI and 2.0TSI (our only motor options until 2019 when they replaced the 1.8TSI with the 1.4TSI in non-GTI and non-4-motion models) to reach 107C regardless of weather. My...
  12. southpawboston

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

Oh, I'm jealous. There is no such OEM option in the US, even though we have states that get as cold as (or nearly as cold as) Sweden! I'd be all over that if it were offered in the US.
  13. southpawboston

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

I'm in the same situation as you-- I had already sound-deadened and sound-insulated my entire trunk and under the rear seat, so that alone may have masked 75% of the noise transmitted by the axle. If it weren't for the extra deadening, the damper effect might be more noticeable by itself.
  14. southpawboston

The main harness grommet [on US cars] is on the driver's side, through the firewall, near the clutch piston. Not sure if it's the same on UK cars. EDIT: come to think of it, on UK cars, I think the main harness comes in from the same side as in the US (left side) because both US/UK mk7s have...
  15. southpawboston

You're in the UK, so your steering wheel is on the wrong side ;-), but I do know that some US cars have leaked water through the cabin air filter housing. Water draining down the cowl breaches the seal to the fresh air inlet. Check your cabin filter for wetness. Also, under the cowl cover...
  16. southpawboston

So I installed the resonance damper today... it appears to quiet bumps every so slightly. The effect is honestly so subtle that if I hadn't known I had installed it, I might not have detected a difference. I think the biggest effect is on slight bumps. Larger bumps still make the same noise. I...
  17. southpawboston

Dash cam wiring: tapping into power in overhead console?

Understood. I'd actually prefer hardwiring it to constant 12V / hard ground and let parking mode do its thing. I can do that, there's no reason I can't ground to chassis up at the console as long as there's a screw/bolt hole somewhere up there. I haven't gotten one yet, was going to get a...
  18. southpawboston

Dash cam wiring: tapping into power in overhead console?

I know many people have installed dash cams and hardwired them to the fuse box. I don't want to run a wire down to the fuse box. I'd prefer to tap into existing power at the overhead console. Has anyone done this? If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, there is a 6-pin connector that...