GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. FB-GTI

TPC Ball Bearing IS38

I appreciate getting the perspective of a test engineer. It's a nice change of pace from debates that sink to being personal attacks. :(
  2. FB-GTI

TPC Ball Bearing IS38

Since the bearings are the only change the compressor efficiency and turbine inlet pressure are going to be the same as with IHI IS38. Boost onset is probably not much different since the IS38 already spools rapidly. Long-term reliability is likely the main benefit, of course that depends on...
  3. FB-GTI

IE Intercooler

Maybe the low end since IE flow isn't a whole lot more than stock.
  4. FB-GTI

MK7 R APR stage 2 & DSG map service intervals

I think how you drive it and the environment would be what to consider if you were to deviate from the service manual.
  5. FB-GTI

New APR Intake System for Only $189.95!

Here's the Ghost story. Wasn't letting a vendor get away with disparaging a competitor's product without facts, another vendor that isn't on the forum. Moderator stepped in to say questioning the forum vendor was trolling. Took the matter off the forum to address the matter directly with the...
  6. FB-GTI

"we all admit that there's no power to be gained with any intake" APR does not: More horsepower with gains up to +12 AWHP over stock More torque with gains of up to +13 AWFT-LBS over stock If the description of the Carbon Fiber version is accurate, and it is thin walled, that could change...
  7. FB-GTI

For a company that loves to toot it's own horn about it's engineering prowess there's a lot of generalizing surrounding this product, except the flow test. The flow numbers are exactly the same as the carbon fiber design, as is the description of the results, did you test both or assume they...
  8. FB-GTI

New Garrett Turbos for MQB

If you're referring to the G25-660 that looks reasonable, a 2L engine isn't drawing enough air to operate past the surge line at that engine speed, even at 40 psi. The bigger Garrett has a lower maximum speed and correspondingly lower maximum pressure ratio. I'm simply referencing what is...
  9. FB-GTI

Turbo Discharge Conversion Kit Photos?

Aside from a tune or bigger turbo other bolt on 'performance' parts will make relatively small increases in power.
  10. FB-GTI

If the stage 1 map ends up being accurate it looks like it can reach around 19 psi by 2300 rpm. That's better than my IS38, which also has a reputation for getting into surge. If the Garrett needs to be held back to boost like the IS38, with the ability to hold 29 psi to redline, that would be...
  11. FB-GTI

Are you referring to an axial flow gas turbine? Maybe overspeed will cause surge all the time with that design, it's been a long time since I looked at those. The map above shows the compressor could be oversped going past the choke line, but that wouldn't be surge. There's also the...
  12. FB-GTI

Turbo flutter

I don't see how the DSG shifting would lead to fuel trim anomalies, the throttle doesn't close when the DSG shifts. Neither the BOV nor DV would function since the throttle remains open. Anyhow, with the mass flow of air being calculated after the throttle I don't understand what the BOV is...
  13. FB-GTI

Turbo flutter

Whether the valve vents to the atmosphere or recirculates won't affect fuel trims, the airflow is measured after the throttle. The Forge is electronically controlled, the piston is pneumatically actuated. Yeah, my suggestion to use a BOV wouldn't force air back out through the compressor - it...
  14. FB-GTI

Over speeding and compressor surge are different issues.
  15. FB-GTI

Turbo flutter

Turbosmart or Forge BOV keep the electronic control and vent to atmosphere.
  16. FB-GTI

Does exhaust diameter size matter?

You're imaging that. As this other post referenced, a turbocharger's efficiency is improved by reducing the pressure after the turbine.
  17. FB-GTI

4" true downpipe

Not according to the post the owner made in the big turbo FB group. "Shoutout to Tom, =AZUzF7CQhpdqtkiJsA6QrcOQzyGhIaMThg5zcDysc6eXMNBE6ztX1HzjjqAGW3lf110Zuf6yegAsdywL4bWGr_tL7khsjayx8IUac1vLxaV7IWXHp-phyK600D47gtGYmUvjbNI5X9VEsti5o5YiInx9&__tn__=kK-R']APTuning...
  18. FB-GTI

4" true downpipe

Re: AWE has the cat further up in OEM location... I've seen both of these DPs, the TS has a larger diameter cat and it is shorter. I suspect the dimensions of the cat plays a larger role in the differences noted than the location along the exhaust.
  19. FB-GTI

GTI to Golf R?

Not about mileage. OP asked for feedback from people who have had both, gave my opinion. Moving on.
  20. FB-GTI

GTI to Golf R?

Specifically 6th. Cruising the hwy at ~3,000 rpm vs ~2,300 in the GTI. OP, since you have aspirations of big power mods I think the R is a better platform to pursue that goal with.