GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Search results

1. Hoon

My GTI my way

Can't see a thing. Kind of crazy actually
  2. Hoon

DBV2 V3 TBB Hybrid Turbo

My head has stock ports, specifically to maintain stock TQ, drivability, spool, and VE.
  3. Hoon

Pistons?

They do that for consistency, not because it's better. I'd much rather have 82.5mm, but if I were building engines for a business I'd only do 83mm.
  4. Hoon

Opinion on EQT vs Stratified?

Ed has forgotten more about this platform than Alex will ever know.
  5. Hoon

CTS/OEM is38 turbo

Hard pass. It's going to be an IS38 with cheaper materials and no QC. Buy the one from FCP Euro.
  6. Hoon

Has anyone changed tunes to try alternatives?

Why would you want to disable the secondary O2 with the stock cat in place? You've physically maintained emissions compliance, but caused your car to fail inspection for no performance gain. Makes no sense, that's why no one does it.
  7. Hoon

Has anyone changed tunes to try alternatives?

His gasoline tunes have been terrible and every single stage 2 and up tune disables the CEL from the after cat O2. The primary O2 is needed to fuel the car...
  8. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Because it's a speed density setup. It has to be modeled, that's how it calculates fueling, otherwise it would need a MAF sensor.
  9. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Depends on the setup...if it's a big turbo car and power is the only consideration, port the head for sure. Our basic hybrid daily driver...nah I'd rather make a bit less power and maintain stock drivability.
  10. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Exactly, so when you port the head, you have manipulated the VE curve, and it now does not match the one modeled in the ECU. I can't speak for all tuning solutions, but Maestro does not have access to the VE modeling.
  11. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Google and understand "volumetric efficiency". It is modeled in the ECU. Messing with it in a closed loop factory ECU can become a real can of worms when you have partial access.
  12. Hoon

Remove cam girdle/cover without removing lower timing cover?

$2 vs like $130 or whatever my local dealer quoted for a 1oz tube of the VW stuff.
  13. Hoon

Like 1/4 of 1 tube for the valve cover. Just enough to run a decent bead. Ultra gray is not recommended by VW so use at your own risk
  14. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Doesn't even have to be a K series, even an H22 head. Between the head design and the thin wall blocks, our engines will never be one of the legendary 4 bangers. Great engines for 5-600hp, but a waste of time to go beyond that.
  15. Hoon

EA888 rev limit

Head flow on this engine is absolute garbage. Hydraulic lifters and oil pump are both incapable of much over 8000rpm, but you won't make power above 8k anyway because of the head. A 20 year old stock Honda head puts a ported EA888.3 head to shame.
  16. Hoon

They change this damn sealant every 6 months. I used ultra gray when I built my motor, hasn't even wept yet
  17. Hoon

Wastegate duty/ turbine act final % VERY low

wastegate is fine, dont touch it.
  18. Hoon

Wastegate duty/ turbine act final % VERY low

"obviously the wastegate needs adjusting" Highly unlikely.
  19. Hoon

Mk 7 vs Focus ST

The focus is a wet noodle. Tiny turbo makes it feel like a diesel, MPG sucks, chassis doesn't put power down at all, etc. Junk.
  20. Hoon

When to do pistons and rods?

You and every other MK7