GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

oem+ IS38 options

ReggieKm01

Car(s)
MK7 GTI AUTOBAHN DSG
Hey guys,

There are probably many threads on this topic but I can't seem to find them. In the near future I plan on going IS38. I would go hybrid but I live in Ocean City MD and there's simply too much stop and go traffic for it to be necessary or useful. I would love to daily my gti at around 400 whp. I heard the oem IHI IS38 is not that reliable and that's one of my biggest priorities so I'm currently looking for the best set it and forget it oem+ IS38 application that will be very robust and can take some abuse. My price range is anything under 2k right now but I'm still considering anything that may be more.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
400hp. Not IS38.

Go hybrid. Vortex or TPC20 🤪

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Is38 GTI is fun as hell in town. I run EQTs is38+ turbo with their OTS tune and I’m happy. It was a big jump from stage 1. I haven’t got a chance to run it in a dyno yet but Feel free to check out my build thread and see what I’ve done with my car.
EQT IS38+

ReggieKm01

Car(s)
MK7 GTI AUTOBAHN DSG
In some more research I've come between either the hpa is38+ (heard it's known to be very durable), jde is38+, and the tpc ball bearing is38+. I seen more positive reviews from the hpa is38 so that's what I'm leaning towards but a ball bearing is38+ sounds awesome, although I've yet to find any testing or reviews on performance and reliability besides manufacturer claims (with no real data to back it up).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
That's good to know. You know anything about this tpc ball bearing is38?
I know I wouldn't do business with TPC. I don't think there's a good reason to go ball bearing if you don't have to. The transient response you'd get from BB isn't really something you'll need/appreciate on a small stock turbo.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
I seen more positive reviews from the hpa is38 so that's what I'm leaning towards
I can't speak on the other brands of IS38 but my HPA unit has been chugging along for about 40k miles now without issue. The original owner put on around 20k on it and I put on the other 20.