GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Had another chat with the dealer and it's totally a mis-diagnostic by the tech. I told them that if you were to replace the charcoal canister, I'll be back here in a couple weeks with the same issue but out the almost $2000 you want to charge me to replace the canister. They're not budging so I'm going at it on my own. I've ordered the suction pump and will attempt the replacement once my fuel tank level gets low enough.

I've found the pdf of the procedure for replacing the pump from the former '15-'16 recall and it doesn't look too bad (as long as I don't break anything lol). But if any of you guys that have replaced the suction pump before have any pointers, please share!
If it's a misdiagnosis by the tech, why aren't they fixing it under warranty

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
If it's a misdiagnosis by the tech, why aren't they fixing it under warranty
They don't want to acknowledge that it might be the suction pump because there was no code that would point to that and even with the examples I've provided they won't go back and look at it. Hell the tech even said that my car doesn't have this pump :rolleyes:.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just curious. Have a buddy that took this line off and it never really clicked back in. How'd you get it?
So on my line, I realized the locking clips weren't reengaging. I took a pick and pulled them out the best I could. I pushed the line back on and I "thought" they had locked on. Next day I'm driving back home and as I'm about to get home I start smelling fuel. Pull into the driveway, take everything apart and notice the line had partially popped out.

I start looking at the locking clips and this time when I try to pull on them with the pick I hear a very soft click. I pushed the fuel line back in and heard another soft click of engagement. I tugged on it real good this time and drove around for a week without the backseat in just to be sure.

Honestly where I screwed up was pushing in the clips like a neanderthal with a too big screw driver when I was trying to get the line off. I think if I had been more patient I wouldn't have messed them up to begin with.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
They don't want to acknowledge that it might be the suction pump because there was no code that would point to that and even with the examples I've provided they won't go back and look at it. Hell the tech even said that my car doesn't have this pump :rolleyes:.
Mine didn't have any codes either. Can you take it to a different dealer

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Mine didn't have any codes either. Can you take it to a different dealer
I could but it's an hour drive with no guarantees they'll be much better. I know the service manager at a dealer 5 hours away but that's a bit of a drive.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I could but it's an hour drive with no guarantees they'll be much better. I know the service manager at a dealer 5 hours away but that's a bit of a drive.
Yeah, no guarantees, but potentially getting it all done for free might be worth it. Maybe not 5 hr drive worth it. Unless they can give you a loaner

probablyjacking

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Claims another victim - 2016 GTI.

felt the car losing power for a brief moment(s) under acceleration driving home on Sunday, was thinking it was misfiring off bad spark plugs. Get ready to go into work today and can't fill more than a gallon. bring it to the dealership this afternoon and as the advisor is taking a intake video and it starts spitting up gas everywhere LOL.

Dude was so taken aback by it that he thought I must've been rear ended at some point causing the leak :ROFLMAO:

Things actually seem promising. The tech already knew about the recall/extended warranty and was already working on seeing what he can push to get covered without much pressure by me. Let's hope it stays that way....

probablyjacking

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI
As of now looks like VW is leaning towards replacing just the pump as opposed to replacing the whole tank (which makes sense). However, any thoughts on how much I should be pushing for the addtl replacement of the purge valve and the charcoal canister a la consequential damage given gas did leak out? Would have to think that all ran thru the charcoal canister and might have damaged it as well

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
As of now looks like VW is leaning towards replacing just the pump as opposed to replacing the whole tank (which makes sense). However, any thoughts on how much I should be pushing for the addtl replacement of the purge valve and the charcoal canister a la consequential damage given gas did leak out? Would have to think that all ran thru the charcoal canister and might have damaged it as well
Those items should definitely be replaced and be covered under "consequential damage coverage" as part of the warranty extension. If gas leaked out, your charcoal canister has 100% been contaminated, and its not unreasonable to think the N80/purge valve was affected at some point too.

I don't see why your dealer would avoid or push back on doing these items - it will all be covered by the warranty so they'll get paid for the work.

probablyjacking

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Those items should definitely be replaced and be covered under "consequential damage coverage" as part of the warranty extension. If gas leaked out, your charcoal canister has 100% been contaminated, and its not unreasonable to think the N80/purge valve was affected at some point too.

I don't see why your dealer would avoid or push back on doing these items - it will all be covered by the warranty so they'll get paid for the work.

Think that's more than fair and I already sent a note to them about it.

Appreciate the response.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Had another chat with the dealer and it's totally a mis-diagnostic by the tech. I told them that if you were to replace the charcoal canister, I'll be back here in a couple weeks with the same issue but out the almost $2000 you want to charge me to replace the canister. They're not budging so I'm going at it on my own. I've ordered the suction pump and will attempt the replacement once my fuel tank level gets low enough.

I've found the pdf of the procedure for replacing the pump from the former '15-'16 recall and it doesn't look too bad (as long as I don't break anything lol). But if any of you guys that have replaced the suction pump before have any pointers, please share!
So my journey has finally come to a satisfactory conclusion. After telling the dealer no to their suggested repair I bought the suction jet pump for $46 and was going to attempt the repair myself before getting part way into it and realized I was over my head. I took the part and the car to a local performance shop and they replaced it for $200. Went on my way when a couple days later I got a call from the dealer telling my to bring my car in, they have a loaner for me and the VW will replace the entire fuel tank and charcoal canister under the extended warranty campaign. I guess the comments in my satisfaction survey I filled out after calling VW Canada trickled down the chain and they reached out to the dealer and told them to cover it under warranty. I also got a cheque for the initial diagnostic charge at the dealer, the jet pump I bought and the amount I paid the independent shop to replace the jet pump. Took 2 week for the parts to arrive but it was all done in the end.

One thing sticks in my mind though. VW has not revised the suction jet pump. So what's to say that this issue doesn't pop up again in 50k km's? 100k km's? If you own your car long enough, this could almost turn into a maintenance item.

probablyjacking

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Update - received my car yesterday, only 3 days after I handed them the keys. They replaced the suction pump, charcoal canister, and ldp pump all under the warranty.

pretty amazed that #1 they were able to receive the parts so quickly and #2 I didn't have to fight them on anything. All I did was reference the warranty on it and they took care of it, how a dealer should be.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
So my journey has finally come to a satisfactory conclusion. After telling the dealer no to their suggested repair I bought the suction jet pump for $46 and was going to attempt the repair myself before getting part way into it and realized I was over my head. I took the part and the car to a local performance shop and they replaced it for $200. Went on my way when a couple days later I got a call from the dealer telling my to bring my car in, they have a loaner for me and the VW will replace the entire fuel tank and charcoal canister under the extended warranty campaign. I guess the comments in my satisfaction survey I filled out after calling VW Canada trickled down the chain and they reached out to the dealer and told them to cover it under warranty. I also got a cheque for the initial diagnostic charge at the dealer, the jet pump I bought and the amount I paid the independent shop to replace the jet pump. Took 2 week for the parts to arrive but it was all done in the end.

One thing sticks in my mind though. VW has not revised the suction jet pump. So what's to say that this issue doesn't pop up again in 50k km's? 100k km's? If you own your car long enough, this could almost turn into a maintenance item.
Glad to hear they made it right and took care of things properly.

But onto your “maintenance item” thought, you may not be entirely wrong lol. At 150k miles, I’m currently on my 2nd gas tank and 3rd suction pump and charcoal canister now lol. Let’s hope the part has been quietly revised/superseded.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Lol just kidding. Car gave me a CEL today after about 50 miles since filling up last night (with no issue). Took the gas cap off today and noticed the same suction sound as before. It's running great and not leaking gas right now, but that's probably because the charcoal canister is new and empty.

Back to the dealer she goes... :cry:

UPDATE: Took it back to the dealer and scanned the code - turns out it was an intermittent short circuit for the fuel level sender. Cleared the code and it hasn't come back, though if it does we'll want to check the connection and/or replace the part. Also, the suction noise I hear when opening the gas cap is normal - I've apparently had a small EVAP leak for a while then since I haven't heard that sound in forever lol. All is well - relieved that the work they performed isn't an issue. What a rollercoaster...
I think that sound when you open the gas cap is more of a gas escaping sound, like pressure is being relieved.