GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Acknowledged an additional oil spot on the garage floor this morning. Work is nuts right now so she is gonna have to go to the dealer TODAY. On another note, took my new truck yesterday and went to Louisiana and picked up my recently acquired Cooper S.
cooper pickup.PNG

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
Friday night I spent an actual factual 3 hours cleaning the GTI, first real bath of the season. Saturday we took it to a friend's celebration of wife ceremony and he took a couple photos, and got the car home right before it started to rain. Sunday we did a cars & coffee at Steel Stacks, super cool venue and a lot of neat cars. It's been a while since I had the GTI out and about, so that was a pretty cool time. (pic incoming)

Looking nice. I enjoyed the stacks and the surrounding neighborhoods so much that I lived like 1/4 mile away from there for a few years. Such a great town for either cruising or walking around, which is unique imo. Very fond of that area. Never went to C&C there though 😂

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
$100 deductible? You're paying more in excess premiums yearly to repaint you bumper every year.
You’re right. On 3 cars too, but I have been very quick in the past to get any of my cars resprayed, so still have it. I might actually lower them this year due to kid in college lol

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You’re right. On 3 cars too, but I have been very quick in the past to get any of my cars resprayed, so still have it. I might actually lower them this year due to kid in college lol
I'd moved mine to $1000 if I could, but my wife insists on an addition umbrella policy, which requires $500 and the highest coverage amounts.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Looking nice. I enjoyed the stacks and the surrounding neighborhoods so much that I lived like 1/4 mile away from there for a few years. Such a great town for either cruising or walking around, which is unique imo. Very fond of that area. Never went to C&C there though 😂
Thanks! Yeah, the area was pretty cool, lots of good photo opportunities for the next time we're out that way. The C&C was nice as well, though there were a handful of people getting unruly with crackle tunes/2-step that kind of created a nuisance. Worst offender was an 8v Jetta sedan, unfortunately all the cops did was have a brief talk with the driver.

I'd moved mine to $1000 if I could, but my wife insists on an addition umbrella policy, which requires $500 and the highest coverage amounts.
I'm not insurance smart -- what's an addition umbrella policy/does that cover cosmetic mods? With our insurance I've specified certain items that are aftermarket to be covered. I've got similar bumper damage from someone who evidently couldn't figure out backing out of their parking spot, and I've been dragging my feet on getting an estimate for repair.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
Mine is $100...I'd totally claim hit and run. OP gonna have to do research and analysis on if using insurance is worth it.....
Yeah - they’re going to blend/respray the hood and fender. Get some quotes, if it’s more than double the deductible, send it to insurance.

Pineapple

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf GTI S
Thank you for this insurance discussion because I haven't needed it before. Not sure if I should suck it up and not report it, or see what they'll do for me and have the damage on my record.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Thank you for this insurance discussion because I haven't needed it before. Not sure if I should suck it up and not report it, or see what they'll do for me and have the damage on my record.
Additionally an item to consider (in general, not sure that it would apply in this instance) is what the impact of having a claim on your record will be with regards to your premiums.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Not worth increasing your claim history.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
hit and run = comprehensive claim
comprehensive claim = not at fault
not at fault = (generally) not going to increase rates

at least give your insurance co a call and see what they say. unless you make claims often (*cough* @EpicTech ) it probably won't be an issue

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks! Yeah, the area was pretty cool, lots of good photo opportunities for the next time we're out that way. The C&C was nice as well, though there were a handful of people getting unruly with crackle tunes/2-step that kind of created a nuisance. Worst offender was an 8v Jetta sedan, unfortunately all the cops did was have a brief talk with the driver.

I'm not insurance smart -- what's an addition umbrella policy/does that cover cosmetic mods? With our insurance I've specified certain items that are aftermarket to be covered. I've got similar bumper damage from someone who evidently couldn't figure out backing out of their parking spot, and I've been dragging my feet on getting an estimate for repair.
It covers liabilities above the coverage amounts and some other none home/ car type stuff like libel.

So if I have 500,000 liability coverage, and I have a 2 million umbrella, it covers us if sued for more than the 500,000 limit.

She wants it because we have a pond in the backyard and tons of kids of neighbors that won't stop playing in our backyard. We initially got it to cover if our son was sued driving our car and because renters at our rental house put up a pool, that we expressly told them not to, and were worried they'd sue us for trying to evict them or if someone drowned in it, we'd have been liable.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
It covers liabilities above the coverage amounts and some other none home/ car type stuff like libel.

So if I have 500,000 liability coverage, and I have a 2 million umbrella, it covers us if sued for more than the 500,000 limit.

She wants it because we have a pond in the backyard and tons of kids of neighbors that won't stop playing in our backyard. We initially got it to cover if our son was sued driving our car and because renters at our rental house put up a pool, that we expressly told them not to, and were worried they'd sue us for trying to evict them or if someone drowned in it, we'd have been liable.
I recommend a policy to anyone I talk too......after my wife got t-boned by an F-150, I saw the nasty side of what people will try.

Policy protects against further civil suit up to a certain amount, so they can't sue you for your house...stuff like that

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I recommend a policy to anyone I talk too......after my wife got t-boned by an F-150, I saw the nasty side of what people will try.

Policy protects against further civil suit up to a certain amount, so they can't sue you for your house...stuff like that

Yup, highly recommended. My wife and friend were in accident in our car, but her friend driving. Her friend has a license but no car insurance (she had a beater that finally died during Covid and she works from home so she hasn't replaced that car). Right at the 2 year mark we get injury law suits from the folks in the other car. Keep in mind this was an accident under 20 mph, and the injured parties took Uber's home right after the police report was made. Of course they are suing for the maximum per individual amount covered by our policy. This is not really a concern, that's why we have auto insurance after all.

But they are also filing civil suits for punitive damages, alleging that my wife and I were negligent by letting her friend drive our car. This is not covered by auto-insurance... umbrella to the rescue.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Yup, highly recommended. My wife and friend were in accident in our car, but her friend driving. Her friend has a license but no car insurance (she had a beater that finally died during Covid and she works from home so she hasn't replaced that car). Right at the 2 year mark we get injury law suits from the folks in the other car. Keep in mind this was an accident under 20 mph, and the injured parties took Uber's home right after the police report was made. Of course they are suing for the maximum per individual amount covered by our policy. This is not really a concern, that's why we have auto insurance after all.

But they are also filing civil suits for punitive damages, alleging that my wife and I were negligent by letting her friend drive our car. This is not covered by auto-insurance... umbrella to the rescue.
Friggin can’t stand people like this 😡

The guy who hit my wife was texting and when he hit her, her head blew out the window, knocked unconscious and so he got to tell the cops whatever he wanted