What did you do to your mk7 today?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

@StealthGTI you make it look so simplistic- great work

Thanks!

So, ground buss bar with red cables and (what I think it is) fuse box/power distribution block with black cables? Or is the block divided into POS/GND? Also, looking at the coiled leads gives me flashbacks from installers course, the instructors would have a fit if they found anything like that in our rigs :ROFLMAO:.

HAHA! Yes, easy to misunderstand. The negative wire on the voltage regulator is half black and half red. I'm not sure why, but it's a distraction. I may put a line of black heat shrink on it to make it all black. As for the fuse block, yes, half is positive and half is negative. The transceivers require fuses on both the positive and negative wires. Installation instructions want the leads ran all the way to the starter battery and fused there. No thanks! I've never had a problem powering my rear-mounted radios this way.

The coils are not quite what they seem. They're actually CHOKES. Each coil has a Mix 31 ferrite bead snapped around it, which turns it into an RF choke. Here's a closer look at one on the left (the bead on the right-hand choke is on bottom).

The coax is choked elsewhere. RF current travels along the outside of the conductor. This is known as the "skin effect." Stray RF can travel back into the car, into electronics components along various paths, and generate interference. This manner of RF travel is known as "common mode current." It's worse at higher power levels. Chokes eliminate or drastically reduce common mode current. I choke the power feeds for the transceivers and everything that connects to an antenna:

I remember a fellow tech once asked me "Where are your service loops?" Well, having the chokes gives me "service loops." :p

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Found out why my insurance is so high. Apparently you are not supposed to actually USE your insurance. If you do it enough times like I have, it puts you on their shit list as them likely having to pay out on a claim, and they just don't want to do that. They want you to pay your premium, and be able to collect it and retain it without any claims from you. As if we pay insurance for free ?? I always thought we paid insurance so that in the event that something happens, we are not out lump sums of money to correct whatever happened.

Also found out that my number of claims is the reason others are declining me insurance. OK well fuck, IM SORRY ??
- A bullet hit my windshield and had to be replaced.
- I hit an armadillo
- it hails on this planet (shocking huh?) and I dont have a garage
- someone ran a red light
-another person ran me off the road because they were texting.
-someone stole my wheels
-someone broke into my car
- girlfriends son flipped my Harley into a ditch

- Uggh Im SORRY, shit happens ?? Not my fault- yet Im punished for having a car and being a law abiding citizen and carrying insurance. Seems fair...

- The above was said in my best sarcastic tone.
There it is. Almost all claims they can’t recover from someone else. This is how it is. It is all about risk. More claims the more risk. More output than money coming in more likely to back up rates and cancel you.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Found out why my insurance is so high. Apparently you are not supposed to actually USE your insurance. If you do it enough times like I have, it puts you on their shit list as them likely having to pay out on a claim, and they just don't want to do that. They want you to pay your premium, and be able to collect it and retain it without any claims from you. As if we pay insurance for free ?? I always thought we paid insurance so that in the event that something happens, we are not out lump sums of money to correct whatever happened.

Also found out that my number of claims is the reason others are declining me insurance. OK well fuck, IM SORRY ??
- A bullet hit my windshield and had to be replaced.
- I hit an armadillo
- it hails on this planet (shocking huh?) and I dont have a garage
- someone ran a red light
-another person ran me off the road because they were texting.
-someone stole my wheels
-someone broke into my car
- girlfriends son flipped my Harley into a ditch

- Uggh Im SORRY, shit happens ?? Not my fault- yet Im punished for having a car and being a law abiding citizen and carrying insurance. Seems fair...

- The above was said in my best sarcastic tone.

In hindsight a lot of those minor ones you probably should have just eaten.

To the insurance company, all those payouts have labeled you as a liability. They probably raised your rate so high specifically so you would drop coverage.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
In hindsight a lot of those minor ones you probably should have just eaten.

To the insurance company, all those payouts have labeled you as a liability. They probably raised your rate so high specifically so you would drop coverage.

And for what is worth, nobody is saying that's right. Moreso unfortunately that that's just the way it is. Completely sucks, and is a total scam.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I got The key fob to open and close the windows this morning finally! Was messing with OBD11 and changed another value and it finally worked. 😆

I also Turned on Scandinavian lights cause i have A slight PTSD from my wreck last year that people don’t think I’m stopped when i have The car in neutral on flat ground waiting for the light to
Turn green. Or when I’m turning and in first gear but I’m waiting for traffic (which is how i got hit)

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
... before googling and doing any research whatsoever, I'm guessing that's a brightly lit tail light/fog light?

This is turning on taillights without flipping the switch on.. aka DRLs on when Ebrake is down, now my taillights will be on as well

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Random pic after the gym this morning

66546414-EA16-4595-95B7-81F771398801.jpeg

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This is turning on taillights without flipping the switch on.. aka DRLs on when Ebrake is down, now my taillights will be on as well
Thanks man. I just got my obdeleven pro Friday so I'm on a mission to uncover lesser known tweaks. Never heard of this one. The trouble is finding explanations of what certain things do, so that helps.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Thanks man. I just got my obdeleven pro Friday so I'm on a mission to uncover lesser known tweaks. Never heard of this one. The trouble is finding explanations of what certain things do, so that helps.
I have changed as much as i can without getting into coding (different monster)

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
OCD got the best of me today and having some spare time on my hands, I put the car on jack stands and checked the level (running and at correct temp as measured by OBDEleven) of my DSG fluid, having done the drain and topfill with 4.8 liters a month ago (figured I'd put just a tad extra to account for any loss in filter housing etc). Just under 200ml came out, so there we have it, another one finding the 4.6-4.7l level is just right (as I was expecting).

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Started illuminating my vents. Having to make custom bezel to cover the led.

Attachments

• 20221204_124911.jpg
    20221204_124911.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20221204_124938.jpg
    20221204_124938.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20221204_124952.jpg
    20221204_124952.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Started illuminating my vents. Having to make custom bezel to cover the led.

Please take a night pic - i would like to see the finished product