GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
If you can do this in VCDS, what's the point of this product then? Just a different interface?

I'm convinced the throttle response tweaks in OBD11/VCDS are just placebos and don't actually do anything.

These pedal boxes definitely do do something. And while I personally might not like them or see a need for them, the market is clearly there. The BMS one is (or at least used to be) sold out all the time.

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This should just be bundled with the turbo kit, priced accordingly.

If someone likes it the way it is off the shelf, great - you just made an extra couple hundred easy. If they want to change it, it's a nice selling point to at least say in some respects the experience is customizable without a trip and appointment to the dealer.

Selling the two separately from this point forward is like saying "we know there's room for improvement, but that's a separate transaction." If i wasn't given the option exclude this module and I just paid more and it was included, I think I'd be more thrilled at how well thought out and competitively priced it is.

Still considering it though — I'm not one to request discounts, but if there were a retroactive discounted price for existing owners of the DTR to address "customers not happy with pedal feel," it would go a long way, I'm sure.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This should just be bundled with the turbo kit, priced accordingly.

If someone likes it the way it is off the shelf, great - you just made an extra couple hundred easy. If they want to change it, it's a nice selling point to at least say in some respects the experience is customizable without a trip and appointment to the dealer.

Selling the two separately from this point forward is like saying "we know there's room for improvement, but that's a separate transaction." If i wasn't given the option exclude this module and I just paid more and it was included, I think I'd be more thrilled at how well thought out and competitively priced it is.

Still considering it though — I'm not one to request discounts, but if there were a retroactive discounted price for existing owners of the DTR to address "customers not happy with pedal feel," it would go a long way, I'm sure.

I could be off base, but I think this is a completely separate entity from the DTR kit, and they're just using the pairing of DTR + Throttle Booster as a marketing mechanism. You don't need the turbo to use this, and the product page doesn't mention single thing about the DTR. I don't think the development was "People aren't happy with the throttle feel of the DTR, let's make a solution."

ChristopherNeil

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I could be off base, but I think this is a completely separate entity from the DTR kit, and they're just using the pairing of DTR + Throttle Booster as a marketing mechanism. You don't need the turbo to use this, and the product page doesn't mention single thing about the DTR. I don't think the development was "People aren't happy with the throttle feel of the DTR, let's make a solution."
I totally agree — felt like I started to ramble and didn't explain myself well. I totally get this as a standalone product, and recognize this wasn't developed as a product-fix.

I think if this were bundled with the kit, it would sell even better. Basically guaranteeing that one is sold with every kit, *plus* the rest of the market. It would guarantee a minimum sale and add value to the dtr kit. Plus being able to say you can customize your APR tune would blow people minds.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
As far a pedal tuners go, this one is deff. The most appealing for design and Functions… wireless and fully adjustable curve are cool selling points.

Initially posting it in this thread was kinda funny to me though esp. with the short comment of add this for those not happy as that first reads as “hey I know our pedal mapping sucks for many on the tune, so instead of us updating the tune, just add this $250 product” 😂

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
The ECU tune from us makes it linear too. Linear is better than how the factory curve typically is. But this still lets you tweak it more aggressively (or even less if you choose). What we've found from doing this forever is that no one is ever happy. It's either too soft or too aggressive. So, this let you set it how you want.
If you can do this in VCDS, what's the point of this product then? Just a different interface?

The ECU tune from us makes it linear too. Linear is better than how the factory curve typically is. But this still lets you tweak it more aggressively (or even less if you choose). What we've found from doing this forever is that no one is ever happy. It's either too soft or too aggressive. So, this let you set it how you want.
This

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I'm convinced the throttle response tweaks in OBD11/VCDS are just placebos and don't actually do anything.
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I suggest it helps immensely. Likely an actual pedal tuner box is better/even more effective. But anything beats the oem pedal setting.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Our throttle mapping is linear. The thing is, people either love it, or want to change it. It's completely subjective. If we go too aggressive, some would hate it. This lets you tune it however you see fit. Also, unlike a custom tune which will just map the throttle to however the tuner like it when he did it, this lets you constantly tweak it so you get what you want. Then, if you want to switch for whatever reason, like going on a long trip and wanting to focus more on an eco mode, you can do that by touching a button.
Umm, no. The tuner adjusts it to how the driver wants it and you can have multiple files of the different variations loaded onto the AP to where you can easily switch tunes within your car.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Umm, no. The tuner adjusts it to how the driver wants it and you can have multiple files of the different variations loaded onto the AP to where you can easily switch tunes within your car.
So you and the tuner typically go for a drive, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again and then sign off on it when you're happy? And if you later change your mind you just go back to them and do this all over again?

Sign me up! :cool:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So you and the tuner typically go for a drive, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again, pull over, make a change, upload it again, drive again and then sign off on it when you're happy? And if you later change your mind you just go back to them and do this all over again?

Sign me up! :cool:
Don't be ridiculous. You get the file from the tuner and load it onto the AP to flash to the car. Go for a drive and if you don't like it, you talk to your tuner to make adjustments. Everybody that has a custom tune knows the process of dialing in their tune. This throttle shit is no different. You can have a stock file, aggressive file, normal driving file and so on all loaded onto the AP. Sorry but a custom tune will always be better than a canned tune.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
I totally agree — felt like I started to ramble and didn't explain myself well. I totally get this as a standalone product, and recognize this wasn't developed as a product-fix.

I think if this were bundled with the kit, it would sell even better. Basically guaranteeing that one is sold with every kit, *plus* the rest of the market. It would guarantee a minimum sale and add value to the dtr kit. Plus being able to say you can customize your APR tune would blow people minds.
Yeah - break me off a discount as DTR customer and I’ll give it a shot. Otherwise, I’ve learned how to angle my toe to affect my pedal input so far.

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
Don't be ridiculous. You get the file from the tuner and load it onto the AP to flash to the car. Go for a drive and if you don't like it, you talk to your tuner to make adjustments. Everybody that has a custom tune knows the process of dialing in their tune. This throttle shit is no different. You can have a stock file, aggressive file, normal driving file and so on all loaded onto the AP. Sorry but a custom tune will always be better than a canned tune.
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what do you suppose the take rate is on custom tunes for the Cobb AP vs OTS tunes for the AP from the some of the available tuners? What's the cost of each map from the tuner, is it going to be a flat rate or pay for one and then each additional tweaked tune is another cost? Is anybody really arguing that a custom tune isn't going to be better than something that is developed for the masses? I think you know the answer to all these. Point is the product exists whether you agree with it or not, I'm willing to bet APR sells more than a couple. It works on a wide range of vehicles, tuned and non-tuned alike. If that's something someone wants to mess with and spend their money on, so be it. If it's shit, the market will decide.