GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Class action lawsuit letter (Waterpump)

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
keep me posted!
Success! They ended up doing just the thermostat because the water pump was fine. And they offered me a carbon cleaning (walnut media blast) with much less labor cost than they usually charge, since everything was apart already, which I took them up on (although it only cost me slightly less than what independent shops charge normally, which is to be expected I guess). Douglas Volkswagen in Summit. Got to drive their Atlas courtesy car too, haha what a boat compared to the Golf.

jzl13579

Success! They ended up doing just the thermostat because the water pump was fine. And they offered me a carbon cleaning (walnut media blast) with much less labor cost than they usually charge, since everything was apart already, which I took them up on (although it only cost me slightly less than what independent shops charge normally, which is to be expected I guess). Douglas Volkswagen in Summit. Got to drive their Atlas courtesy car too, haha what a boat compared to the Golf.
Thanks for the update! Last week I took the car to Reydel VW in Edison where I bought the car and they will replace the thermostat housing under the warranty.. I also asked them about the carbon cleaning (my car is @74k miles), what is the mileage on your car? was it bad and how much less hahaha?

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Thanks for the update! Last week I took the car to Reydel VW in Edison where I bought the car and they will replace the thermostat housing under the warranty.. I also asked them about the carbon cleaning (my car is @74k miles), what is the mileage on your car? was it bad and how much less hahaha?
Just under 60k and I'm not a good judge of "bad" buildup but here are the before-and-after photos. $500 (discounted for already being in there), normally around $1200 supposedly. But two independent shops I called said $550 so it wasn't really a huge cost savings, just convenient (confirmed walnut media blaster for all quotes). I can tell you there has been no noticeable improvement in fuel economy or idle NVH... 🤷‍♂️

Before:
IMG_20221117_134904.jpg

IMG_20221117_134907.jpg

IMG_20221117_134911.jpg

IMG_20221117_134913.jpg

After:
IMG_20221118_163323.jpg

IMG_20221118_163318.jpg

IMG_20221118_163320.jpg

IMG_20221118_163322.jpg

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
noticed today I was low on coolant so I went to top off and noticed it barley sucked anything in. I turned on the car and my radiator fans kicked on and it got super loud... and the temp spiked to 230. Was noticing earlier this week the a/c was blowing hot air on the passenger side and it was warm on mine. Not sure if my water pump just died but damn.

jzl13579

Just under 60k and I'm not a good judge of "bad" buildup but here are the before-and-after photos. $500 (discounted for already being in there), normally around $1200 supposedly. But two independent shops I called said $550 so it wasn't really a huge cost savings, just convenient (confirmed walnut media blaster for all quotes). I can tell you there has been no noticeable improvement in fuel economy or idle NVH... 🤷‍♂️
Just got the car back from Reydel VW, also took the discount and did the carbon cleaning (slightly cheaper ~$400 2hrs labor instead of 6- it took them a day to complete everything). I did notice a strong odor of gasoline with the heat on this morning (at a traffic stop), may be some gasoline spilled during the repair? gonna go for a drive after work and hopefully the smell will disappear. Did you smell any gasoline after the repair? Here's a photo of the original thermostat housing (version H)- Not sure which version they installed tho..
IMG-0088.jpg

Here's a photo of the carbon buildup@74k miles--
IMG-0087.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For those that are curious....I emailed them about when those of us that submitted reimbursement info will see our check.

Thank you for your email.

If the Settlement Claims Administrator determines your Claim is valid, your reimbursement will be mailed to you within one hundred (100) days of either (i) the date of receipt of the completed Claim (with all required proof), or (ii) the date that the Settlement becomes final (the “Effective Date”), whichever is later. The Court held a Final Fairness Hearing on 10/19/22, and decide to approve the Settlement as fair, reasonable, and adequate. Information about the progress of the case will be available at www.waterpumpsettlement.com.

If the initial determination of your form and documents is considered deficient or not fully completed, we will mail you a letter or notice by regular mail advising you of the deficiency(ies) in the Claim Form and/or the documentation you provided. You will then have 30 days from when the letter is mailed to cure your deficiency(ies).

This is not a recall and any mail you receive from us will not be from VW/AUDI.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Water Pump Settlement Administrator

info@waterpumpsettlement.com

1-833-711-0261

Water Pump Settlement - 7577

PO Box 2636

Faribault, MN 55021-9636

TB

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Thermo housing leaking....denied. Working on VWOA now.

Guess I can out of pocket and submit for reimbursement.

DSTOFEL

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I’m sitting at the VW dealer in Atlanta now (Jim Ellis VW). I had the coolant light come on last week…coolant was well below the minimum in the reservoir. Turned out to be a leak in the water pump. The water pump and thermostat + Housing are being replaced now free of charge….all covered under the warranty settlement. I had 79,000 miles and had the car for 7 years, 11 months. So, just 1 month and 1,000 miles under the warranty caps. Whew!!!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Has anyone received their reimbursement payments yet?
From the lawyer:

Thank you for your email.

If the Settlement Claims Administrator determines your Claim is valid, your reimbursement will be mailed to you within one hundred (100) days of either (i) the date of receipt of the completed Claim (with all required proof), or (ii) the date that the Settlement becomes final (the “Effective Date”), whichever is later. The Court held a Final Fairness Hearing on 10/19/22, and decide to approve the Settlement as fair, reasonable, and adequate. Information about the progress of the case will be available at www.waterpumpsettlement.com.

If the initial determination of your form and documents is considered deficient or not fully completed, we will mail you a letter or notice by regular mail advising you of the deficiency(ies) in the Claim Form and/or the documentation you provided. You will then have 30 days from when the letter is mailed to cure your deficiency(ies).

This is not a recall and any mail you receive from us will not be from VW/AUDI.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Water Pump Settlement Administrator

info@waterpumpsettlement.com

1-833-711-0261

Water Pump Settlement - 7577

PO Box 2636

Faribault, MN 55021-9636

TB

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
I just took mine in to the dealer to have it checked out. Should find out if I will be covered some point in time today

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
And let the BS with the dealer begin….it’s a leaky thermostat housing so it’s not covered 😐

DrFunkalupicus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S
Thermo housing leaking....denied. Working on VWOA now.

Guess I can out of pocket and submit for reimbursement.
Did you happen to have any luck with that? Mine was a leaky thermostat so they denied the claim. I plan on changing it out myself now due to this, but if there is still a sliver of hope...and I'm kinda lazy sometimes lol