GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

95 Ron or stick to shitty 98ron

BartekR

Car(s)
17 Golf R Stage 1
So I know there are many topics about what fuel you should use but I haven’t found any that fully answers my question I live in Iceland and in the whole country there are maybe 10 98ron fuel stations and since I bought the car in march i only put 98ron in it but right away I didn’t like how it stuttered when I was stopped at light or when it was heating up it had really weird misfire no codes did show up I thought maybe bad batch of fuel so I filled up at another station and itremained the same changed my spark plugs ignition coils and camshaft magnets only for the idle to stay the same so I decided to fill up the car with 95ron and when I drove it for like an hour the idle smoothed out no stutters no anything I haven’t been booting the car only town driving at like 100km/h and now have went through 2 full tanks of 95ron and the car runs so much better the shifts are smoother it doesn’t vibrate like it’s about to die when I’m stopped at lights I heard it’s ok to run 95ron on stock cars but mine has been mapped to stage 1 I have tried all the fuel stations near me that sell 98ron but all run the same so should I stick tothe 95ron or go back to shitty quality 98ron

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Did you install the tune yourself? I only ask as some tunes are calibrated to run just fine on 95 RON, whereas others require 98 RON. My guess is that your tune was designed to run on the 95 RON gas readily available in Iceland. I'd ask the seller what grade of gas did the tune call for, if he/she installed it.

BartekR

Car(s)
17 Golf R Stage 1
Did you install the tune yourself? I only ask as some tunes are calibrated to run just fine on 95 RON, whereas others require 98 RON. My guess is that your tune was designed to run on the 95 RON gas readily available in Iceland. I'd ask the seller what grade of gas did the tune call for, if he/she installed it.
Unfortunately it’s a 98ron tube I have asked the tuner when the car was mapped iceland still had shell and the car always run on vpower shell left iceland like 2-3 years ago and shell had the best 98 in Iceland

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I'd be far more concerned with your ignition timing than anything. Do you know what kind of tune you have on the car?

You need to be looking at ignition corrections, preferably a complete data log, to know if the fuel you are putting into the car is adequate. Idle vibrations and slight stuttering are not indications of whether or not your fuel quality is up to par. My recommendation would be to remove the tune if you are able, and retune for the proper fuel. If not, at the very least, you need to be looking at a complete data log.

Last edited: