GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Not a lot out there about the neuspeed catback, anyone running this? (Update: Installed)

Rare Ara S3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Audi S3, GTI
That looks sexy. Nice thorough review.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I wanted to get a few miles with the catback before I shared my thoughts on this thread. It's been a little over a week, so I feel I've listened to it enough now.

I'll start with the fit and finish. The fitment is 10/10 and really doesn't get any better than that. It's one of their points in their marketing material, but they're right. The tips are welded, so there's no messing with them trying to get things aligned. They sit perfectly even and on the same positions on each side. There was no fighting to get it to sit right either. The finish put a smile on my face when I opened the box. The mufflers looked amazing, the tips even better, and the stainless shines nice. I thought maybe the welds could look prettier, but everything else was really good.

Now for the sound...The first thing I want to say is I can't believe how much this thing gurgles. It's a good surprise. I'm so used to my vw's sounding so flat and monotonous. When I let off the gas or shift under 2k rpms you often hear some good gurgles. I think it happens at higher rpms too, it's just harder to tell with increased engine noise/road noise/etc. You also hear them a lot when you're driving around parking lots. It's nothing like a crackle tune though. They're quieter pops that are so much more mellow and no louder than your normal exhaust sounds, and often even quieter. In my video below just about every little rev had some gurgles in it, but they're quiet enough that the phone mic doesn't pick up a lot of it. When you start accelerating at idle it has a nice deep growl to it. At WOT it sounds pretty wicked. I haven't thought of a better way to describe it than wicked. It's not raspy at all, and it's nothing like a fart can, it's actually pretty sporty. I guess I do have 1 or 2 complaints, but so far the way it sounds far outweighs any of the negatives. Really my only problem is it's a bit louder than I expected. It's not crazy loud, but it's definitely louder than my oem catback with the res delete. However it might actually drone less. I don't hear it at an idle from inside the car, but if you're cruising at 2.5k+ rpms it's likely you'll hear the exhaust humming from the back of the car. The stock catback with the res delete kinda made the exhaust sound like it was coming at you from every angle inside the car, but the neuspeed catback makes it pretty clear it's coming back from the back. Some sound deadening in the trunk might help with that. I've never tried it before, but I'm kinda curious. If it makes it harder for me to hear the gurgles that's no good though.

It sounds good, the gurgles are awesome.

View attachment 230875

View attachment 230876

Still happy with this?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Overall I like it. Definitely moved the exhaust noise to the rear of the car instead of under it like I had with the res delete. Doesn’t sound the greatest at that 2-3k cam change over point but most don’t anyway. Its deep and dsg farts are quite pronounced. At idle and cruise in 7th it’s kinda easy to forget it’s there at all.

Reactions: krs

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Right on, I'm debating on the Neuspeed or the Milltek, haven't really decided yet.

Are you set on keeping the valves?

Milltek has the best sounding exhaust for this car by far, if you ask me. You just need to set it up properly. They are also on sale right now.

The nameless has a nice tone, but vibrates excessively as revs come down, almost as if the system is too restrictive. If you watch videos of the exhaust tips, they vibrate like crazy as revs reduce.

Valves open at 19 seconds:

You can get it to sound close to this with a burble tune - listen to the Armytrix and IPE systems after. They are loud and pop a lot, but sound very unrefined. They also cost an arm and a leg.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Are you set on keeping the valves?

Milltek has the best sounding exhaust for this car by far, if you ask me. You just need to set it up properly. They are also on sale right now.

The nameless has a nice tone, but vibrates excessively as revs come down, almost as if the system is too restrictive. If you watch videos of the exhaust tips, they vibrate like crazy as revs reduce.

Valves open at 19 seconds:

You can get it to sound close to this with a burble tune - listen to the Armytrix and IPE systems after. They are loud and pop a lot, but sound very unrefined. They also cost an arm and a leg.

I’m neither for or against the valves. I would rather keep the functionality of the valves, but that’s more just because I like to keep the OEM functions in place. I’m not interested in having the valves controlled by an external module, or an app. I do like the oval tips the Milltek has as well.

I’m not concerned with the “dog farts” or the pops and bangs. Just something with a different sound, but not over the top loud and obnoxious.

I’ll take a look at a few more videos on the Nameless. I really like their V-band connections, but that’s not a deal breaker.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I’m neither for or against the valves. I would rather keep the functionality of the valves, but that’s more just because I like to keep the OEM functions in place. I’m not interested in having the valves controlled by an external module, or an app. I do like the oval tips the Milltek has as well.

I’m not concerned with the “dog farts” or the pops and bangs. Just something with a different sound, but not over the top loud and obnoxious.

I’ll take a look at a few more videos on the Nameless. I really like their V-band connections, but that’s not a deal breaker.

Don't get too hung up on the connectors. It would be best to get everything dialed in terms of fitment and then have a reputable shop weld everything together anyway.

V-bands are great, but I had a very expensive stainless exhaust with fancy V-bands fail in several places - cracked welds. It was from a highly reputable after market parts manufacturer who's name I shall not mention.

Borla has also worked out the issues with the whistle, and makes the best sounding system if you just want a cat back. Fully valved, fits like a glove, fairly priced, sounds good. Issue is, this exhaust sounds terrible after a DP is installed, kinda weird. I have a couple threads where I've gone into great detail with the Borla offering once it was released. I worked with them on the whistle issue and went through a couple fixes with the company to include trying three different systems. They eventually got it right and sent me a major rebate in the process for going the extra mile. Borla also offers a lifetime warranty on their systems, no questions asked. If you hate it or have an issue with it, they will literally send you a box and give you a full refund. They also pay for shipping both ways.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Don't get too hung up on the connectors. It would be best to get everything dialed in terms of fitment and then have a reputable shop weld everything together anyway.

V-bands are great, but I had a very expensive stainless exhaust with fancy V-bands fail in several places - cracked welds. It was from a highly reputable after market parts manufacturer who's name I shall not mention.

Borla has also worked out the issues with the whistle, and makes the best sounding system if you just want a cat back. Fully valved, fits like a glove, fairly priced, sounds good. Issue is, this exhaust sounds terrible after a DP is installed, kinda weird. I have a couple threads where I've gone into great detail with the Borla offering once it was released. I worked with them on the whistle issue and went through a couple fixes with the company to include trying three different systems. They eventually got it right and sent me a major rebate in the process for going the extra mile. Borla also offers a lifetime warranty on their systems, no questions asked. If you hate it or have an issue with it, they will literally send you a box and give you a full refund. They also pay for shipping both ways.

I have the APR DP, and have the resonator removed on the factory exhaust.

Pretty good on Borla with their guarantee.

I’m not opposed to round tips either @bentin they just have to be the right style and size for my taste.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Oh, I just have an unreasonable hatred of oval tips. I've debated ordering an exhaust for my Mk8 R even before the car shows up.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I have the APR DP, and have the resonator removed on the factory exhaust.

Pretty good on Borla with their guarantee.

I’m not opposed to round tips either @bentin they just have to be the right style and size for my taste.

If you already have a DP, the Milltek will sound amazing.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
If you already have a DP, the Milltek will sound amazing.

Experience on the resonated versus non?

Drone is inevitable I’m sure, but I’m okay trading a nice exhaust tone for a little drone at certain rpm’s. But don’t want to add a resonator if it makes things as quiet as a OEM setup is.