GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
No, plenty others have lowered and didn’t need it. His case is def. Interesting cause if I’m reading it right he went from lowering springs to coilover and that pinged it
Yeah, that’s correct, for the ACC sensor. Threw a code saying the ACC was misaligned. I raised the vehicle a bit over what the springs were at, and was surprised it was enough to trigger it.

So, essentially I only need to bring it in to have it recalibrated if I make any suspension changes?
No, the car will tell you through and error message after you do something that misaligns the sensor. Don’t take it to the dealer “just because” you lowered it.

messrock

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI DSG
even if it throws an error, don’t run right out and get it addressed. My car threw an error last month, I checked it, seems somebody backed into my car and my grill was bumped out of the groove. Checked all the connections, set it back in, still threw the code. Waited a couple of weeks and it went away. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dealer visit to recalibrate is about $400.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Noticed something odd about my tails tonight. The heck is this? A rear fog or is something broken? The car did not come with a euroswitch so idk what a rear fog would be doing there, or maybe it was modded by the previous owner?
20221022_201640.jpg
20221022_193301.jpg
20221022_193323.jpg

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
Am I missing something? There's the trunk pop button on the fobs but no matter what I do, it seems to literally not do anything.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Am I missing something? There's the trunk pop button on the fobs but no matter what I do, it seems to literally not do anything.

It can’t actually pop, all it does is unlock I believe. Pretty useless button in my experience; USP makes a pop kit that will actually open the hatch, though I believe the trade off is that it physically is more difficult to open and close: https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Automatic-Hatch-Pop-Kit-MK7-Golf-GTI-Golf-R.html

yup. nailed it. the button is really an "unlatch" button.....you need the hatch pop kit in order to get the right struts that force the hatch open once unlatched.

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
I have a question that I haven't found anyone ask before...

I have water accumulating between the weatherstripping on the ext. for wind noise and the weatherstripping to the interior when it rains. I believe it only happens when I park my car on my steep driveway. When I took this video it had only rained ~0.5 inch. I find the same amount of water on both sides of the car.

Do you think that the water could overflow into the cabin if it rains a enough?

Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15chnCg2Zoy7bttnG6isW6QV9uDataoz-/view?usp=sharing

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Noticed something odd about my tails tonight. The heck is this? A rear fog or is something broken? The car did not come with a euroswitch so idk what a rear fog would be doing there, or maybe it was modded by the previous owner? View attachment 263590View attachment 263591View attachment 263592
Same happens to my mk7, and I also don’t have a euro switch.. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it because it does bother me when I try to take pictures from behind

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Same happens to my mk7, and I also don’t have a euro switch.. Trying to figure out how to get rid of it because it does bother me when I try to take pictures from behind
I must be oblivious, what are we looking at? Pictures look like normal taillights...

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI SE 6MT
I just now realized that my GTI has a significant amount of negative camber in the rear. What's the factory alignment spec? Or maybe it was modded by the previous owner?

Shams

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
I must be oblivious, what are we looking at? Pictures look like normal taillights...
I’ve been looking at the thread recently on my phone so maybe it doesn’t look the same but here is a picture of mine.. As he said he has a reflector so I don’t think we are having the same problem anymore because mine is a bright LED i’ve been trying to figure out how to turn off.

Attachments

• 310D3BC4-E3D1-4D05-BDDD-2DA68F4355B5.jpeg
    310D3BC4-E3D1-4D05-BDDD-2DA68F4355B5.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 57

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’ve been looking at the thread recently on my phone so maybe it doesn’t look the same but here is a picture of mine.. As he said he has a reflector so I don’t think we are having the same problem anymore because mine is a bright LED i’ve been trying to figure out how to turn off.
Ah, okay. I see the difference in yours, but not the others.