GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Clutch Leaking, VW can't find tool and says it isn't made anymore

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Question for all. Is vw the worst with warranty? I have had 10 cars in the last 30 years and only brand I have had to fight to get warranty repairs are VW
Fights about warranty are usually dealer issues not VWOA. I’ve had 2 warranty claims. One was about a worn seat side bolster and the other the infamous water pump/thermostat housing. The latter was covered without issue and the former ended in a new seat cover with me paying just 25% of the $1000.00 bill. The dealer and VWOA paid the rest.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Fights about warranty are usually dealer issues not VWOA. I’ve had 2 warranty claims. One was about a worn seat side bolster and the other the infamous water pump/thermostat housing. The latter was covered without issue and the former ended in a new seat cover with me paying just 25% of the $1000.00 bill. The dealer and VWOA paid the rest.
Was that gold thread in that seat cover? That seems surprisingly expensive for a seat cover but then again I've never had to replace one.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Seat covers are labor intensive and not cheap parts wise when it comes to leather.
Doesn't negate the fact that $1000 for a side bolster repair is price gouging in my opinion when you can get a entire replacement Recaro for what, $1500 for a base model seat? Shoot, I could have replaced my Corvette's upper and lower leather seat covers for $1300-$1500 and swapped them out in an afternoon. My brother did it when he added heat to his Corvette's seats. Just because "it's expensive" doesn't mean it needs to be.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Doesn't negate the fact that $1000 for a side bolster repair is price gouging in my opinion when you can get a entire replacement Recaro for what, $1500 for a base model seat? Shoot, I could have replaced my Corvette's upper and lower leather seat covers for $1300-$1500 and swapped them out in an afternoon. My brother did it when he added heat to his Corvette's seats. Just because "it's expensive" doesn't mean it needs to be.
It’s a long story but the labor is intensive and they don’t replace just the bolster cover, it’s the entire seat cover. The heating element complicates the installation. Not to mention the dealership has to contract the work to an upholstery expert. Also are those Recaro’s going to be integrated with the buttons on the dash for the heated seats and will it have a power recline function?

Last edited:

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It’s a long story but the labor is intensive and they don’t replace just the bolster cover, it’s the entire seat cover. The heating element complicates the installation. Not to mention the dealership has to contract the work to an upholstery expert. Also are those Recaro’s going to be integrated with the buttons on the dash for the heated seats and will it have a power recline function?
Not to mention it’s a $600 seat cover. That leaves $400 in labor at $150/hour it’s a 2.5 hour labor charge. Not out of line.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Sorry to leave you guys hanging in this, it's been an absolute cluster. Might get the car back tomorrow. I think all in about 7 weeks and we don't know if this repair is going to not explode or not.

VWoA said that instead of replacing the transmission or the clutch assembly, for the leak they would be rebuilding a part of the clutch assembly. No one has done this job in the Cincinnati area before, so no tools, minimal knowledge on how to approach it and to top it off minimal parts access.

For the majority of this we've been in contact with VWoA, service manager and towards the end the general manager of the dealer group. Time estimates and general communication has been lackluster to say the least. Parts that were in then never came, tools that were in were actually on backorder, etc etc.

Very little faith this transmission doesn't have clutch issues down the road. When no one in the surrounding area has ever performed this type of work, tools needed to be custom ordered... yea probably not a well oiled machine to approach the complexity of the repair job.

Curious what the VCDS dump looks like immediately from the dealer and then a few weeks after.

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
I would call the next nearest dealership to see if they have the tool, just to confirm if your dealer is bs'ing because that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. There's no way you're the first person that needs a DSG clutch replaced in over 3 years...or even more if its the same tool that a 6 speed DSG would use.

Audi has been using the 7 speed DSG for even longer, I wonder if an Audi dealer would have it?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
My buddy’s R had a DSG leak in the first month of ownership. They ended up giving him a new transmission. Hopefully all works out well 👍